Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Client Specs re: Dropped Frames

Reaction score
I just had a client try to confirm video specs for an upcoming shoot, and I simply had never had this questions asked before. I am flying the Inspire 2 with the x5s (non-ssd).

They wanted to confirm:
1080p
23.98 fps
non drop frame

Its the "non drop frame" that I have never heard of... Any help?

Probably cameras that, due to storage limitations like FAT32 where a video may only run so long (~4GB), then the camera resume in another file after the first is filled. When it happens a few dropped frames may occur. My P4 does that where it can fly maybe 9 minutes, then it starts a new video file and the interval between them drops about 5-10 frames where splicing shows the missing frames with a visible jump in the splice. Bad or insufficient memory buffers in old cameras will drop frames too.

Might need to ask how long the sequence is, and then do a test run of that time and a few more at 1080/28.98fps with your memory card of choice and see if it can do a smooth run or not. It will probably work though.

This article should explain the difference, the maths will be slightly different for 29.97 vs 23.98, but the principle will be the same.

I just had a client try to confirm video specs for an upcoming shoot, and I simply had never had this questions asked before. I am flying the Inspire 2 with the x5s (non-ssd).

They wanted to confirm:
1080p
23.98 fps
non drop frame

Its the "non drop frame" that I have never heard of... Any help?
Non drop frame is a reference to how the timecode is generated.
They may also stipulate whether they need free run, record run or time stamp timecode.

Reactions: mercury
Probably cameras that, due to storage limitations like FAT32 where a video may only run so long (~4GB), then the camera resume in another file after the first is filled. When it happens a few dropped frames may occur. My P4 does that where it can fly maybe 9 minutes, then it starts a new video file and the interval between them drops about 5-10 frames where splicing shows the missing frames with a visible jump in the splice. Bad or insufficient memory buffers in old cameras will drop frames too.

Might need to ask how long the sequence is, and then do a test run of that time and a few more at 1080/28.98fps with your memory card of choice and see if it can do a smooth run or not. It will probably work though.
No - it has nothing to do with frames being dropped. It is purely how timecode is locked to the video and the mathematics behind a 0.1% speed variance.

Non drop frame is a reference to how the timecode is generated.
They may also stipulate whether they need free run, record run or time stamp timecode.

Well, I can "ask".... lol... Would you help understand what I would do different in these three scenarios? (feeling a bit stupid at the moment)

Well, I can "ask".... lol... Would you help understand what I would do different in these three scenarios? (feeling a bit stupid at the moment)

As far as I am aware, there are no user configurable timecode options on any DJI software/hardware. I believe all you will get is time/date stamped files at best. There is certainly no free-run option or things like user reset etc.
DJI have really only just dipped their toes into the professional world of cameras and they are still lacking in many professional features found on the likes of Arris/Sony's/REDS of the world.
As you have discovered, some clients will ask for specific criteria for the deliverable files but at the moment DJI equipment is not able to produce what is required.

As The Editor pointed out it's a reference to how timecode is generated. The choices are dropframe (DF) or non-dropframe (NDF) but dropframe is really an antiquated analog way of generating timecode for broadcast and I rarely come across it anymore. I don't think it's gone entirely but certainly anything I've ever shot in 24P (23.98) has been NDF and the vast majority of other frame rates I shoot are NDF. It's not an option in the app anyway so there you go. If a client ever asks just say the timecode will be NDF. If they don't ask then don't bring it up because then everyone will be confused and if you're not familiar with the differences you don't want to stumble over (unnecessary) explanations.

As a fun aside, when watching a program with the timecode displayed you could tell the difference by noting the punctuation separating the seconds from the frames. Example: 01:00:00:00 is NDF. 01:00:00;00 is DF. Notice how the ; is used rather than the : - that lower dot "drops" down a bit.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eveamelia102