Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Cold IMU cal for I1?

Reaction score
So, I did my P3 IMU cal in the winter here in Wisconsin in well below 0f (think it was something like -15f IIRC) so I don't experience any IMU warming. I know many don't have the advantage of a nice wintry cold outside and resort to putting their P3 or P4 into freezers to do the IMU cal. The advantage of doing it cold is I can fly almost instantly with zero warmup time.

I presume I1 has IMU cal as well. Same suggestions as on P3/P4, do it cold? I don't have a freezer big enough to fit an I1 in. At least I don't think it will fit. So I will have to seek out a friend who has access to a commercial cooler or perhaps an ice chest with dry ice in it for now. If thats the recommendation here. I can do the long term IMU cal in winter again.

I have the inspire 1 V2, did an IMU calibration the other day after the latest firmware upgrade, it was around 6c outside.
No problems to report.

So, I did my P3 IMU cal in the winter here in Wisconsin in well below 0f (think it was something like -15f IIRC) so I don't experience any IMU warming. I know many don't have the advantage of a nice wintry cold outside and resort to putting their P3 or P4 into freezers to do the IMU cal. The advantage of doing it cold is I can fly almost instantly with zero warmup time.

I presume I1 has IMU cal as well. Same suggestions as on P3/P4, do it cold? I don't have a freezer big enough to fit an I1 in. At least I don't think it will fit. So I will have to seek out a friend who has access to a commercial cooler or perhaps an ice chest with dry ice in it for now. If thats the recommendation here. I can do the long term IMU cal in winter again.
There is no need to chill down the aircraft (same with the Phantoms, Mavics, Sparks etc). It is only necessary to initiate the IMU calibration on an aircraft that has sat for half hour or so switched off and therefore is being switched on from cold.
Ambeint room temp is fine, just make sure you do the calibration as soon as you turn the machine on.
Plenty about this already on the forum.

Not sure thats entirely true. At least in my personal experience with the P3. Chilling does help.

My initial IMU cals on my P3A were done at room temp. And that worked fine until fall arrived and temps started dropping outside. When out flying in the cold, any time I turn it on there would be anywhere from a few seconds to several minute long warming wait depending on how cold it was and how long the AC had been outside.

After doing the IMU cal in very cold temps, I get NO warmup wait at all. None. So at least on the P3A and P3P is, at least in my personal experience, an advantage. If you don't shoot in the cold, then no, there isn't much advantage. I do, and I will.

So that is why I asked if there was a similar warmup on the IMU for the I1 birds. I was not asking how to do the IMU cal, I will dig into that separately after I get the bird tomorrow.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool