Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Colin (From UK then NZ and now Oz)

Reaction score
Hi, Im over in Brisbane working and have brought my Phantom 3 with me. Id love to know if I can fly out over the Brisbane river and Story bridge legally. I don't need much altitude, maybe 50 metres max. Is this permitted?

Oh, and I have an Inspire 1 Pro back in NZ.

I note the following:
  • You may NOT fly closer than 30m to vehicles, boats, buildings that are not on YOUR private property or you must have explicit permission from the private property owner.
  • You are NOT allowed to fly over any populated areas such as beaches, other people’s backyards, heavily populated parks or sports ovals where there is a game on.
  • You may NOT operate within a RADIUS of 5.5km of any aerodrome, airfield, airport, seaplanes taking off or landing, helicopter landing sites which may be located at hospitals, police stations or other locations that you may not be aware of. It is YOUR responsibility to find out where they are and ignorance is no defense in the court of law. (Have a look at our app RPAS LOGGER which shows you almost all these locations around Australia)
  • You may ONLY operate during DAYLIGHT – NO night flying! Only in good weather and you MUST be in visual-line-of-site of the Remotely Piloted Aircraft – RPA.
  • You may NOT fly above 400ft (123m)
  • You may NOT fly FPV !!

No problems legally or otherwise flying in the city during daytime, just keep note of the 30 metre rule at all times and stay under 120 metres.
Helicopters will be flying between 100 and 150 metres all the time so make sure not to do anything near them.
City cat's and river boats are running all the time as well so as long as you keep the 30 metres from them you're fine.
South Bank is extremely busy at all time so best avoid that area however Kangaroo Point and the Botanic Gardens you should have no problems getting a clear launch point.
Story Bridge is like 80 metres above the water and the Cliffs around that area are about 30 metres so if you fly near the Bridge you don't have much room legally above it and best avoid hovering over the roads unless just passing over.

Hey, I am a newbie here on Business and would welcome the opportunity to meet up with other Inspire/Phantom owners in or near the Brisbane area. Im working 2 weeks Brisbane, 2 weeks Wellington (NZ) on a continual basis.

Might be just you and me then James :). Im based in the CBD in Felix Street.

Funny thing flying on the river, maybe I just don't understand how radio signals work. Well, not maybe, I don't :)

Even when flying easily in line of sight I only get about 3-400 metres away when it says I have a weak signal which make me panic a little. Maybe, due to the tall buildings on the left then signals bounce off and cause issues. Im really not sure but Im not getting a very good range. Im flying over the river, NOT between buildings under 400ft and always at least 30 metres from anyone or anything.

If anyone has any ideas Id love to know what might be the problem. I don't think its a equipment issue, more likely the environment. Id just like to understand it a little better.

Might be just you and me then James :). Im based in the CBD in Felix Street.

Funny thing flying on the river, maybe I just don't understand how radio signals work. Well, not maybe, I don't :)

Even when flying easily in line of sight I only get about 3-400 metres away when it says I have a weak signal which make me panic a little. Maybe, due to the tall buildings on the left then signals bounce off and cause issues. Im really not sure but Im not getting a very good range. Im flying over the river, NOT between buildings under 400ft and always at least 30 metres from anyone or anything.

If anyone has any ideas Id love to know what might be the problem. I don't think its a equipment issue, more likely the environment. Id just like to understand it a little better.
Are you flying with the Adv/Pro or just the Standard?
I flew my Standard at Kangaroo Point a month ago and could only get 200 metres away before I lost signal due to all the interference in the city.
Last week at the same place I was able to get my Inspire 1km down the river before the feed started to hiccup.
When you're set to fly in a city it's a good idea to check the HD signal/channel list just to see what's in the area and if it's a continuing problem enable the 32 channel "hack" for a bit more flexibility. Also consider getting a Parabolic Windsurfer as I've seen a huge boost with just that.
I've flown with some RC planes and racing quads at clubs and when they're all in the air my Inspire can't get 50 metres away due to all the interference and the DJI App practically has a built in Spectrum Analyser which they love too.

As for a Brisbane meet up we might have more luck on the PhantomPilots Regional Meetups Board. Just pick a place and day should be fun.

Reactions: Colin Berry
Im flying the advanced. Will take a look when I fly later at the channel list.
Had a issue finding enough satellites too today although I'm happy flying in ATTI mode having come from RC Helis, the Phantom is very easy to fly - its not on constant self destruct mode like the helis. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GRQLarae44