Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Commercial Business Using My Youtube Videos

Reaction score
Guys

I find that a commercial business (Tourist Guide to National Park) I did a shoot in is using a video I uploaded to youtube.

Now I do not mind private individuals sharing my work( free advertising) however when a commercial organisation decides to do it without asking....

Thoughts.

Also tried turning of embed in youtube and it still plays on their website. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Guys

I find that a commercial business (Tourist Guide to National Park) I did a shoot in is using a video I uploaded to youtube.

Now I do not mind private individuals sharing my work( free advertising) however when a commercial organisation decides to do it without asking....

Thoughts.

Also tried turning of embed in youtube and it still plays on their website. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance
Cant you call them and tell them to take it down? If not, dob them in.

Yes thats pretty much what Im going to do.

I could just at random intervals take it down.

Or edit the title to hotel x found with bed bugs! Maybe they will not want to run video then.lol

I thought you guys maybe had another take on it. A gucci way to let certain sites embed whislt stopping rogue(non paying) sites from doing so.

Guys

Thoughts.

Thanks in advance
Since i went commercial I never publish stuff on YouTube that a can't afford to be used by someone/somewhere else. At best I only put up short clips or mini showreels can be used. For me few are interested in a mapping showreel!

Best is to use Vimeo and password the video and only dish it out to who you want to see it.

PFAW Holder
BNUC-S Qualified

Reactions: Joola
Yes thats pretty much what Im going to do.

I could just at random intervals take it down.

Or edit the title to hotel x found with bed bugs! Maybe they will not want to run video then.lol

I thought you guys maybe had another take on it. A gucci way to let certain sites embed whislt stopping rogue(non paying) sites from doing so.

They have a link to youtube? This is not illegal I think.

Or they have embedded the video? That is another story.

Note also that they can download the video, so whatever you do on youtube has no effect.

Yes I do the vimeo password stuff as well for one time specific client use as wel

However when doing generic footage by uploading to YT (which is lower quality but preferred by the masses) numerous commercial(paying)interested parties can use the footage on their website. Footage that for me is easy to take becomes sold many time over to commercial entities.

Individuals can share with their friends via social media and you generate more traffic and interest. This then make the footage more popular and more commercial operations want the footage and so on and so on.

Just wanting to box clever on this one.

Reactions: Yiannis.B
yes they can download the footage.

However when playing this back on their website that is cut and dried copyright infringement and I have them over a barrel.

They have embedded the video as a commercial entity.

For individual use on a blog etc embed is no big deal to me as stated previously. It actually helps me out. However commercial operations should know better.

Anyone got a novel out of the box solution?

Guys

Thoughts.

Thanks in advance
The biggest issue is that if you captured footage with your UAV in the air in a national park, that's forbidden... The NPS has a blanket restriction on the use of UAVs in all of the park system.

The biggest issue is that if you captured footage with your UAV in the air in a national park, that's forbidden... The NPS has a blanket restriction on the use of UAVs in all of the park system.
Flying in National parks in the United Kingdom where had written permission in place before said flights is not forbidden-no problem here.

I will remember if I decide to take my UAV on a holiday/vacation.

Guys

Thoughts.

Thanks in advance

Watermark the footage?
Use a rolling watermark with lowered opacity accross the footage saying 'Copyright Tweaker Productions' or similar.

All my footage is watermarked that gets uploaded to the web.

Thinking about a work around that enables me to stop someone using footage but letting others crack on. I do not think there is a solution.

My wife does photography. When she noticed that a company was using one of her pictures (pulled from her website) on their landing site. She reached out and said that she loved that they chose her work and offered to set up a licensing agreement so that they could continue to use it. They came to an agreement. Just an idea.

Sorry about late reply. Been busy. Good problem to have not complaining.

I dont see it as business opportunity as commercial interests using my footage pay to embed.

Its easiest way in this example to let individuals share footage (obviously making it popular) but commercial interests pay to embed.

If I dont find a way round it his advertisers are paying him for something he has obtained(stolen) from me.

I have dropped him an email. He only has a contact form on his website. So I cannot prove I dent him an email if it comes to litigation.
No contact number just a residental address.
Maybe I should pay him a visit.....

First off, I would be hesitant to assume he/she is an antagoist right away. He/she may be uneducated as to the issue. I would attempt education first.

I dont know that paying a visit is a good idea; unless you record it, there would be no proof of that either. Honeslty, if you have intent to persue to small claims court or cort in general, then I would proceed with their requirements for service. For small claims court in my state (<$10k), registered mail from the USPS or Fedex with proof of receipt counts for service. I am not sure why you couldnt do send a registered letter with a return receipt. This maybe cheaper than driving there anyway and give you a template to use in the future if this same issue happens again.

Paying a visit was kind of tongue in cheek.

However as he only has a contact form or contact I cannot be sure(or more confident) if I had sent a regular email. As you say he may not know,may not have got my email or on the other hand he may well be a chancer!

Yes he stays a bit away however I passed 5 mins from where he is today when out filming. I will be passing off and on the next while.

Quick chat/point out the above and gauge straight away what the way of the land lies/as applicable as above!! Take action from there.

Good luck and keep me posted. I am curious to hear what you do and the outcome.

Paying a visit was kind of tongue in cheek.

However as he only has a contact form or contact I cannot be sure(or more confident) if I had sent a regular email. As you say he may not know,may not have got my email or on the other hand he may well be a chancer!

Yes he stays a bit away however I passed 5 mins from where he is today when out filming. I will be passing off and on the next while.

Quick chat/point out the above and gauge straight away what the way of the land lies/as applicable as above!! Take action from there.
If it was me, I would have all my footage watermarked, however for followup, i would have a lawyer write him a strong letter.

All sorted.

It was someone who worked for one of my clients.

I deal with them.

The client couldnt run the video on their website. Until it got resolved the clients employee put it on their own website which linked from the employee to the clients website.

If the above makes sense!!

Outcome is employee will now take it off his website as they have found away round their "technical" issues on the clients website.

On a side note I use software to dedect inauthorised use of my photographs. Anyone got something similar for detecting unauthorised video use?

Thanks for all help

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RuslanmuG