Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Comparing the DJI Inspire and the Yuneec Typhoon Q500 4k

Reaction score
Considering purchasing a new drone, and just can’t decide which option is the best? The right drone for you simply comes down to what you’re looking for in regards to features, such as a high-quality gimbal or a quadcopter that already comes with a camera. The DJI Inspire 1 and the Yuneec Typhoon Q500 4K are two good examples of high quality drones, however one may appeal to you way more than the other.

Let’s compare a few features to help you make a decision:
yuneec.jpg

Design

The Typhoon Q500 was designed to take away the hassle in drone video. It produces stunning video in both 4k and 1080p, but we’ll get into the details of the camera further down. Similar to the DJI Phantom 2 Vision+, the quadcopter’s build makes it perfect for aerial photography and video graphy. Its gimbal keeps the camera perfectly steady, while the drone holds up quite well despite being made of plastic. The Q500 also has many limiting features. To keep it legal with current FAA guidelines for non-commercial drone use, this drone will not fly nearby airports, and it won’t go more than 400 feet up. These features are handy in that they keep the pilot out of potentially large fines, but do limit pilots who may have FAA exemptions.
51i8tj0fu-l1.jpg

The Inspire 1 features a carbon fiber frame, which allows it to carry it’s larger payload and stays in the air for longer. Its legs fold up without compromising the design or adding too much additional weight. Its “transforming” arms allow the quadcopter to keep the camera high and protected when landing. They also drop down so you have a perfect line of sight when flying and allow you to rotate the camera around 360 degrees without seeing the body of the Inspire 1.

Camera

61lpg04od5l-_sl1500_1.jpg
41v5l7vbcdl1.jpg

The cameras for both drones offer 1080HD & 4K video capabilities, and 12 megapixel images. The Inspire 1 has a field of view of 94 degrees which gives it a nice wide angle look with compromising the image and giving you a fish eye style look, that other cameras and drones may have. The drone also looks professional, with it’s sleek and minimalistic design.

Here are some sample videos from

As for the Q500 it also produces 1080p and 4k images, with a 12 megapixel camera for stills. The Q500 has an amazing flight time of 25 minutes, which blows a lot of other drones away. The Q500 has a 115 degree lens which is a pretty wide lens. However, it does have built in software that automatically corrects for any distortion to the image.

Here are some sample videos of the Q500

Flight

Which drone flies better is currently up for debate as both have the tendency to crash given the right circumstance or some bugs in the software. The abilities of the operator must be taken into consideration, so if you’re new to drone technology, it’s best to start with a smaller, less expensive option as opposed to either of these!

Since we are comparing, what makes that typhoon any better than the Phantom 3? With your comparison I think the answer is obvious but I am obviously very partial to the one I have been flying for a while.
Having done professional work with both my phantom and my inspire, I assure you, customers are much more confident when I pull out the Inspire in all its glory.

Reactions: fadimanar
I also fly both... the Inspire and the Typhoon.
Each has its own "hero" points.
The Typhoon already has "watch me" and "follow me " modes that work just great.
It also has dynamic home point that is a real asset to many flight situations.
It comes with a hand held stabilized gimbal for mounting the 4K camera for walk around shotting of stills or video.
At around half the price of the Inspire it is a contender for aerial photograph.
Sure..it has its limitations...but I have been waiting for the Inspire promised functions for 6 months now...and don't have to put up with never ending fireware up grades that don't work correctly for everyone's tablets.
Problems with multiple tablet software miss matches with the Inspire do not happen with the Typhoon.. the Android tablet is already inside the transmitter and is a treat to use.
I do enjoy the Inspire ..it is a class'y...impressive machine to fly...but I do really think the customer/ pilot / owner is looking at what comes from the camera....not how well it looks in the air.
Looking at the individual prices..all up the Inspire cost me with three batteries....very basic accessories...$5,000.oo AUD.
The Typhoon with the same basic's....$2,300.oo AUD.
You could argue in depth about other accessories.....battery prices...software issues...service /repair availability/cost etc.
It comes down to what you want to use it for...drone racing...aerobatic's...."your in the wrong forum".
Final point....which could you afford to loose/crash and have repaired.
Just my two cents worth...I am not knocking either product....I bought both ...cause I have a use for both.
Happy days .
...Pete

Why would I even want to compare my Inspire1 with a Typhoon, on a dedicated Inspire1 forum? If you're looking for biased answers, ok.

It's kind of pointless I would say. They're from different universes.

"different universes" I would agree....so are the flying ability's of "all" the pilots that visit this forum.
...Pete

It comes with a hand held stabilized gimbal for mounting the 4K camera for walk around shotting of stills or video.
At around half the price of the Inspire it is a contender for aerial photograph.
Sure..it has its limitations...but I have been waiting for the Inspire promised functions for 6 months now...and don't have to put up with never ending fireware up grades that don't work correctly for everyone's tablets.
Problems with multiple tablet software miss matches with the Inspire do not happen with the Typhoon.. the Android tablet is already inside the transmitter and is a treat to use.
I do enjoy the Inspire ..it is a class'y...impressive machine to fly...but I do really think the customer/ pilot / owner is looking at what comes from the camera....not how well it looks in the air.
Looking at the individual prices..all up the Inspire cost me with three batteries....very basic accessories...$5,000.oo AUD.
You could argue in depth about other accessories.....battery prices...software issues...service /repair availability/cost etc.
It comes down to what you want to use it for...drone racing...aerobatic's...."your in the wrong forum".
Just my two cents worth...I am not knocking either product....I bought both ...cause I have a use for both.
Happy days .
...Pete
Hey Aussie Pete. .
what's the max range of the typhoon? ?

Line of sight...800 to 1200 ft stock.....not in the same "universe" as the Inspire.
Most of my filming is within this range easily.
The times you want to go out to get those special longer distance shots the Inspire is the machine to do it with.
The Inspire will get there faster and return faster...will handle stronger wind conditions and there is no chance of the landing gear getting in the video frame.
My first choice is always the Inspire, if the job "warrants" this calibre machine.

Most likely, But I am curious about the changes that will be brought out on the I2.. We will see.
Bugger,
I am looking at purchasing the inspire 1 next week, or should I wait for the inspire 2? but at the same time I don't want to wait for ever till its release.

Thanks, Trevor
Brisbane Australia

Happy days .
...Pete
Hi Pete,
I am new to the forum, and I am looking at purchasing the inspire 1 next week, are you very happy with yours? where abouts are you located in Australia? I am in Brisbane.

Thanks
Trevor

Hi Trev.
I am about 135klms from Adelaide.
I am just about to go out flying..so I will get back to you soon.
Your purchase depends on what you want to do with the machine.
Maybe you could out line what is it you wish to achieve.
Happy days .
...Pete

Hi Trev.
The Inspire is a great machine to do aerial photography...that's what it is built to do.
It is well built and has a remarkable flight performance.
The TX and tablet allow the user many functions not seen on any other complete package before...without going into mega thousands of those hard earned dollars.
The 4K camera..is just great...some say not good enough...for what.....some of my aerial stills and video are recorded on a Mobius..!!!!
Since its first flight , it had performed beyond anticipation.
They are the good points.
The points I have learned to live with are those things promised from purchase and not yet delivered...hope they are not too far off now days.
The most frustrating thing is the bug's associated with all the different tablets that people are using to operate the Inspire.....I am one of them.
It did not stop me from flying and filming....but the full potential of the Inspire is not yet available to us.
You need to be able to fly a quad or have some previous flying experience with multirotor's....that's if you want to have the Inspire for a long time.
My Inspire is at the doctors...being fixed...that's why I am flying the Typhoon at present.
I still get my work done...but it takes longer and I have to rethink my flight plans to compensate.
Waiting patiently for is return.
Happy days .
...Pete

Attachments

• Inspire at RMAC.jpg
    Inspire at RMAC.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 16
Reactions: turbodronepilot
Bugger,
I am looking at purchasing the inspire 1 next week, or should I wait for the inspire 2? but at the same time I don't want to wait for ever till its release.

Thanks, Trevor
Brisbane Australia
I say buy the Inspire 1.If the Inspire 2 is coming I'm pretty sure there will be new problems on the horizon as the Inspire 1 is much more tested.And why wait?Next year there will be an Inspire 3.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaricruzRa