Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Comparing the X5R to the X7 quality. Need advice

Reaction score
So I have been toying with the idea of getting an X5R since I gave up on the idea of a Red camera, which looked like just too much of a headache with all of the parts that have to be purchased to make it work and not to mention the quirks that come along with owning a Red which is just too expensive for a hobbyist like myself.
So then I switched gears and started looking at the X5R as an option which can be easily obtained these days second hand. I guess my concern is how will it compare to my I2 that I already have fitted with some X7 lenses? I like toying with drones and I got the M600P because the price was too sweet to pass up. A shame that DJI did not make the X7 lenses compatible. I’m sure they could have and I don’t buy any of their statements saying that it was not possible. Anything is possible, but DJI does not have the reputation for being a customer focused company. It is what it is. Anyone have any experience with both cameras and have results to share. I think using the X5R is the easiest option for me at this point, but if I am going to be disappointed with the video quality vs the X7 then I cannot see a reason to keep the M600 other than the fact that it‘s a bad a** flying behemoth! LOFL. Any honest feedback would definitely be appreciated. Good day to all and be safe in this crazy alternative world we live in right now.:eek:?

So I have been toying with the idea of getting an X5R since I gave up on the idea of a Red camera, which looked like just too much of a headache with all of the parts that have to be purchased to make it work and not to mention the quirks that come along with owning a Red which is just too expensive for a hobbyist like myself.
So then I switched gears and started looking at the X5R as an option which can be easily obtained these days second hand. I guess my concern is how will it compare to my I2 that I already have fitted with some X7 lenses? I like toying with drones and I got the M600P because the price was too sweet to pass up. A shame that DJI did not make the X7 lenses compatible. I’m sure they could have and I don’t buy any of their statements saying that it was not possible. Anything is possible, but DJI does not have the reputation for being a customer focused company. It is what it is. Anyone have any experience with both cameras and have results to share. I think using the X5R is the easiest option for me at this point, but if I am going to be disappointed with the video quality vs the X7 then I cannot see a reason to keep the M600 other than the fact that it‘s a bad a** flying behemoth! LOFL. Any honest feedback would definitely be appreciated. Good day to all and be safe in this crazy alternative world we live in right now.:eek:[emoji16]
X7 is better than x5r. But there are better cameras than x7 that you can fit on m600. Better stay with the x7 and sell the m600 as it will not be cheap to fit any other camera.

Reactions: dmvara
I upgraded from the X5R to the X7, and haven't thought about my X5R since.

Image quality is better, and ProRes options mean that I haven't needed to record in raw. You call yourself a hobbyist, which makes me think you won't need raw either. Unless you are working on commercial projects where the person paying you requests raw footage, you won't need it.

Reactions: dmvara
Thanks for the input. It’s well noted. I’ll have to take all that into consideration. The M600 is truly sweet and I hate to part with it. Perhaps I’ll have to hang onto it and jump back to searching evilbay for a good deal. Technology prices drop pretty fast these days and with people dumping their gear because of the status of the economy I might find a pretty good deal on a red. Niki, I revisited what you said in the other post and yup I agree that getting all the equipment I need will be pricey, but I have saved a little and I think now might be the time to hunt for the stuff I need. Hoping I can snag some good deals. The DSMC2 body looks ideal since from my understanding it’s the newer technology. I don’t need a super high resolution Red camera. Off to search.....o_O

The M600Pro is a great craft & platform... it had so much potential and disappointing that DJI stopped developing the platform. It has the potential to handle small or larger payloads with ease. It’s technology is behind a few years now, but sufficient to handle the XT-R or XT2 Thermal and up to DJI’s X5R. It‘s size offers the ability to easily add modules to grow.

An advantage of the older X5R over X5S is the built in RAW formats compared to the X5S requires additional airframe license purchases. The 5R‘s time to load files & process is slower than the 5S, but not a limiting factor for some if time not a priority. The X7 is same as 5S for licensing the Inspire 2’s airframe. That is currently unique to I2, the M600Pro lacks the on-board electronics to license & process additional file media formats. So the desire to mount the X7 on M600Pro, unless new electronics were developed & included in a add-on module, the M600Pro couldn’t use the X7 equal to the I2, it’d be more similar to the M210v2 use of X7.

But that’s if you stay with DJI payloads. Adding a RoninMX or other mount, adds the ability to use Full Frame, like a Sony A7Riii or a Cinema payload as the Red you mentioned. Both would provide options & lenses not available with the X7 on the I2. Controlling non-DJI with Intelli-G or Air Commander V2.

The additional components you need for M600pro is Gimbal mount (Ronin MX) and 3rd party controller to camera. Not extravagant in comparison to what you’ve already purchased. The cost to operate will be higher overall, 6-pak batteries, parts, etc.

The I2 vs M600Pro are 2 different breeds, the M600Pro is a different platform to fly and offers a alternate options to consider.

I’d retain the M600pro, continue to use the I2 X7 and when ready, set the M600pro up for that Red.

So then I switched gears and started looking at the X5R as an option which can be easily obtained these days second hand. I guess my concern is how will it compare to my I2 that I already have fitted with some X7 lenses? I like toying with drones and I got the M600P because the price was too sweet to pass up. A shame that DJI did not make the X7 lenses compatible. I’m sure they could have and I don’t buy any of their statements saying that it was not possible. Anything is possible, but DJI does not have the reputation for being a customer focused company. It is what it is. Anyone have any experience with both cameras and have results to share. I think using the X5R is the easiest option for me at this point, but if I am going to be disappointed with the video quality vs the X7 then I cannot see a reason to keep the M600 other than the fact that it‘s a bad a** flying behemoth! LOFL. Any honest feedback would definitely be appreciated. Good day to all and be safe in this crazy alternative world we live in right now.:eek:?
Although dougcjohn compiled the most comprehensive answer to your dilemma, I'm not really sure what are you trying to achieve. X5R on M600 will be a step or two back, period. Licensed Inspire 2 with X7 camera and lenses is hard to beat when image quality/price ratio is considered. Sure thing you can outfit M600P with better camera rig, but the money and hassle involved doesn't translate well into hobby category. That said, as a hobbyist I would love to build M600 with full frame sensor camera just for the pure joy of operating such beauty, but only if I have money burning a hole in my pocket. If that's the case, than go for it :) ...

Last edited:
Although doughcjohn compiled the most comprehensive answer to your dilemma, I'm not really sure what are you trying to achieve. X5R on M600 will be a step or two back, period. Licensed Inspire 2 with X7 camera and lenses is hard to beat when image quality/price ratio is considered. Sure thing you can outfit M600P with better camera rig, but the money and hassle involved doesn't translate well into hobby category. That said, as a hobbyist I would love to build M600 with full frame sensor camera just for the pure joy of operating such beauty, but only if I have money burning a hole in my pocket. If that's the case, than go for it :) ...
@Dobmatt is spot on!
The I2 X7 package is the top Dog Photographically available, and the X7 FF S35 sensor is great for video & stills! It's a condensed performance Pro cinematic package providing top media file formats.

You have both platforms now, if you wanted to build a package using other hardware options, M600Pro can provide but it will take time, much longer setup time, and has it's share of frustrations getting it all to work together. But it is rewarding and challenging to lift a large payload and capture images!

LOFL. Yea, I guess I just like tinkering with things. I wish the Red camera line had a solid rep like the Arri, but Arri is a whole other realm or equipment. Some day.... cheers!

dmvara,

I fly an M600 with a Sony now but have flown the X5S and X5R on it with the support frame and pieces. Since I'm using the Sony, I have the support pieces, X5S and X5R for sale. They're pristine... Like New. If you're in the U.S. and interested, I'd be happy to pass the info to you.

FWIW, I also fly the Inspire 2 X7 with 9, 16, 24 and 50 optics and ProRes and Cinema DNG licenses. I LIKE to fly the M600. After the Mavic2Pro for skinny budget work and the I2, the M600 is like flying a B-52 bomber. Sweet.

Last edited:
dmvara,

I fly an M600 with a Sony now but have flown the X5S and X5R on it with the support frame and pieces. Since I'm using the Sony, I have the support pieces, X5S and X5R for sale. They're pristine... Like New. If you're in the U.S. and interested, I'd be happy to pass the info to you.

FWIW, I also fly the Inspire 2 X7 with 9, 16, 24 and 50 optics and ProRes and Cinema DNG licenses. I LIKE to fly the M600. After the Mavic2Pro for skinny budget work and the I2, the M600 is like flying a B-52 bomber. Sweet.
How do you mount the X5S on the M600, is it a custom one?

dmvara,

I'd agree with the B-52 feel... first few times flying it... was the only sUAV I've flown that you can do a realistic bomber wave to on-lookers. The sound when you fly it past your position is awesome... those 6 21" props at slow RPM make a very nice sound.

I just recently picked up the X7 and 4-pak Lenses... absolutely beautiful carbon lenses!

Reguarding your X5 / X5R mount and the Z30 mounts. The X5S will fit the Z30 mount collar but the A3Pro / LB2 Firmware lacks the support for the X5S.... to my knowledge it only supports the Z30 and XT2 Thermo.

Did they slip up and support the X5S too? The addition of the XT2 was a FW slip up at first. Although the X5S on M600Pro would be like the M210 and X5S... no advanced processing. I would think the X5R would be a better option on M600Pro since the Adv Processing is within the camera not the platform.

Reactions: niki

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LewisuhaAbips