Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Compression problems for DJI

Reaction score
Website
www.video-vermont.com
This video is about compression problems with the Inspire pro's x5 camera. Watch the dancing artifacts in the roof that is in shadow. You need to be in full screen to see it clearly. DJI's encoding engine obviously can't cope with shadows and dark areas and goes crazy. Not something you like to see in a $4,000 product! Shot at dusk, with f stop lowered one stop from overexposure diagonals. 30fps, f5.6, Inspire D-Log, shutter at 60. Factory lens.

Shoot in 4K and edit in 1080p
Might help.
The x5 is what it is.
You been a member since 2014 I can't see how you didn't know that camera is suspect.

I'm not being snarky but I'm gone wait Mr. the jury is still out.
I'm not a pro but I will do my homework before I invest any more into Dji.

to me it seems like not enough light. What was the ISO setting btw ?

There is enough light. As I said, one stop below the diagonals. An image is made up of various light levels, including black, medium black and light black. These levels give you your shadows which is an important part of any image. If you watch the video carefully you will see this. Blacks should be black, greys should be grey without any frizzes or compression artifacts. Check the footage on a waveform monitor and you will see it is within spec as far as exposure is concerned. What concerns me is the compression artifacts. They don't belong there in a $4,000 piece of gear!

There is enough light. As I said, one stop below the diagonals. An image is made up of various light levels, including black, medium black and light black. These levels give you your shadows which is an important part of any image. If you watch the video carefully you will see this. Blacks should be black, greys should be grey without any frizzes or compression artifacts. Check the footage on a waveform monitor and you will see it is within spec as far as exposure is concerned. What concerns me is the compression artifacts. They don't belong there in a $4,000 piece of gear!
Just stick to the X3 for now as it has the same specs as the x5 except for the fact the latter is slightly more sensitive.
They both have the same abysmall 60 mb/sec bit rate.
The x5R is what you need but the cost is too prohibitive
Perhaps at NAB in Vegas in two weeks DJI will introduce a new moderately priced camera?

Reactions: slim.slamma

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phuketdivecenter