Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Controller Overheating

Reaction score
Yesterday I did a firmware update to aircraft, controller, and batteries. I flew today as a single operator and everything went pretty well. When I came home I realized that I didn't update my 2nd controller's firmware. I turned on the controller and I got a controller overheating warning and the led was blinking red and beeping. I didn't really think it was overheated since it was just sitting in my office but I stuck it in the freezer for a bit. Then turned it back on and got the same warning. I thought/hoped it would go away after I did the slave controller firmware update. I was able to update the controller and it seems to work properly accept that there is still the overheating warning and the led is still blinking red and beeping. I can hear the fan come on as soon as I turn on the controller. Has anyone had this problem or have any suggestions.

Yesterday I did a firmware update to aircraft, controller, and batteries. I flew today as a single operator and everything went pretty well. When I came home I realized that I didn't update my 2nd controller's firmware. I turned on the controller and I got a controller overheating warning and the led was blinking red and beeping. I didn't really think it was overheated since it was just sitting in my office but I stuck it in the freezer for a bit. Then turned it back on and got the same warning. I thought/hoped it would go away after I did the slave controller firmware update. I was able to update the controller and it seems to work properly accept that there is still the overheating warning and the led is still blinking red and beeping. I can hear the fan come on as soon as I turn on the controller. Has anyone had this problem or have any suggestions.

That's a very odd error, tbh other than calibrating the sticks there is not a lot else to suggest, I would say it's possibly a hw issue but it's defiantly an odd one that.

I switched the slave controller to master then calibrated the sticks. Still get the overheating controller message.
Yes I agree it is an odd message to get. I was hoping it wasn't hardware related since it probably means sending it in to be repaired.

I'm hoping that it's not a sign that the internal battery has a problem -- I've seen external LiPo batteries "telegraph" that they were not happy campers by getting warm when they were in some sort of internal self-discharge.

Call me paranoid (or Mr. Paranoid if you want) but I would not put that RC anywhere inside your dwelling where, if it caught fire (Google: lipo fire) it would cause damage. I use a metal trash outside my house can to store "old" LiPo's until I can render them completely inert.

Just a thought. I am often wrong, but I'm rarely uncertain. :)
Andy

I've watched mine blink all the LEDs briefly when unplugging it from the charger. Don't know why it does that, but I don't think it is healthy for the RC electronics to see a random spike of electricity like it does. Fwiw, mine partially shuts off the green power LED in flight and it disconnects from the iPad too while the other LED's stay on. I have to reboot the RC in flight. I think their RC design or firmware is at fault so I haven't flown mine as I do not trust it now. Don't know if a Cendence is in my future or not (Maybe more overpriced, and soon to become junkware via an update?), or another I2 controller version/model.

My P4 controller is also acting up too (...so what else is new? After all, it's DJI.).

I opened up the controller and couldn't see anything wrong. That battery looked fine and no swelling. The fan was working and seemed to be attached firmly to the heat sink. There are two screws that have a spring on their shafts that hold the heat sink/fan assembly. I tried loosening them and tightening them and nothing would stop the alarm from going off. Nothing seemed hot to the touch. I am starting to think it is a firmware problem but hard to know for sure. Is there anyway to reload the controller firmware?

Andy T.

The same way I updated my master controller and the only way I think is possible. That's through the go app when connected to wifi.

The same way I updated my master controller and the only way I think is possible. That's through the go app when connected to wifi.
Can do it thru the USB similar to like how you update the bird by putting the bin file on a card and using a card to USB adapter so I've read. I've never done it that way personally.I tried to update my slave controller not to long ago thru the app and wifi just like you did and it bricked my slave controller. Like you I didn't have any problem with the master rc,knock on wood. May sound like a conspiracy theory but I wouldn't put it past dji to intentionally cause problems with people's equipment for the extra revenue to keep their repair facilities busy.

Is there even a bin file for the controller available anymore now that you have to update the controller through the Go App?

Can do it thru the USB similar to like how you update the bird by putting the bin file on a card and using a card to USB adapter so I've read. I've never done it that way personally.I tried to update my slave controller not to long ago thru the app and wifi just like you did and it bricked my slave controller. Like you I didn't have any problem with the master rc,knock on wood. May sound like a conspiracy theory but I wouldn't put it past dji to intentionally cause problems with people's equipment for the extra revenue to keep their repair facilities busy.

So your slave controller is still bricked? Did you ever reach out to DJI?

Scooby. Did you try doing a reset on your controller? OR a firmware downgrade? The reset seems to have fixed my problem.

Scooby. Did you try doing a reset on your controller? OR a firmware downgrade? The reset seems to have fixed my problem.
Tried everything and it won't do anything except turn on and off and that's it. Dji said send it to them. I haven't yet cause I never use the thing anyways.

Do you know about pressing the C1, C2, and the Shutter button all at once and then turn it off. That is the reset.

Did you also tried pressing on the three horizontal lines in the upper right of the go app for 10 seconds until the firmware rollback screen comes up?
It won't even connect to the go app. Like I said it's bricked. Has hardware issues. With the cost of sending it to dji and back plus their cost to fix it at 65 an hour plus parts I might as well buy a used one and keep this one for some of the useable parts off of it. But like as I stated before I never use the thing. If I want to move the gimbal around I can either use the screen or switch the c1 button back and forth and controll it that way. If I need another screen for another viewer I have the hdmi output that can be used.

Have you checked if the fan is working ?

Yes the fan is working fine. I opened up the controller and could see the blades turning.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnsmithp486