Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Controlling the Olympus 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 EZ Lens ?

Reaction score
Anybody know how one would adjust the zoom setting on the newly supported Olympus 14-42mm lens?

Would one adjust before taking off or is there a zoom setting in the Go app?

Quite an appealing and affordable lens especially if one can adjust the focal length whilst in the air.

To add another thought to that, the latest version of DJI Go app update mentioned one of the new feature as supporting DJI Focus. I wonder if the zoom can be controlled via the Focus as well.

For anyone interested in adding zoom capability to their X5, this lens currently has an instant rebate in the US, making it a $250 purchase, relatively easy on the wallet.

Last edited:
Nice little zoom.

I wonder if there is a zoom that will compete with yuneec x 18 zoom? I hope there is. I really like the x5/inspire.

Going to conduct a few experiments....... What could possibly go wrong?

Anyone got options/opinions for high zoom lens compatibility?

Reactions: Rainbowers
Nice little zoom.

I wonder if there is a zoom that will compete with yuneec x 18 zoom? I hope there is. I really like the x5/inspire.

Going to conduct a few experiments....... What could possibly go wrong?

Anyone got options/opinions for high zoom lens compatibility?

Yes - get one of these - Metabones T Smart Adapter for Canon EF or Canon MB_EF-M43-BT2

Then add one of these - Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM Lens with Built-in 1.4x 5176B002

Balance of the gimbal could be tricky though and flight times will be restricted :(

Reactions: Kilrah
I wonder if there is a zoom that will compete with yuneec x 18 zoom? I hope there is
Certainly not, the glass neeeded for a 18x zoom on a sensor of the size of the X5's would be ridiculously huge and 2-3x the weight of the X5 itself...
The Yuneec can pull it off because it's got a tiny sensor, and because it sacrifices everything else to get that zoom. If you look at samples the footage is frighteningly awful, absolutely unusable for anything but maybe live observation.

Yes live observation is what I had in mind.

Inspection purposes. Acceptable image rather than marketing "wow" image.

Reactions: Scotflieger
My 14-42mm arrived today and I put it on X5 and had a test flight. The lens is too "fat" for the gimbal and it was a very tight fit. The "zoom" is not smooth but the ability to zoom with a cheap lens is nonetheless marvelous.

The 14-42mm gave me jello until I put a little weight on the front of the lens. This settled it down nicely. A 37mm filter is what I need now to balance it properley.

Is this serious? Editor, sometimes hard to tell if you are joking. Can the I1 carry this beast? I would get it in a second!! Do you have this unit?
Ummmm....no.
I'm British so have a warped sense of humour I'm afraid. The lens alone weighs in at 3.6kg (8lbs)!

Copy that - sounded too good to be true - just ordered two of the Olympus 14-42mm lenses - any sort of zoom will be great. Have you used this Olympus system?
I haven't I'm afraid but any sort of zoom will be VERY susceptible to vibration and correction errors. A gimbal accuracy of 0.03degree is based on the central plane of the gimbal - this will be multiplied out by the zoom factor and so jello/vibration/micro bounce will have to be VERY carefully controlled and will be very noticable. Also, your FOV will narrow as you zoom so that is something to be mindful of - Its a matter of try it and see and maybe even a case of results will differ from one gimbal to the next based on manufacturing tolerances etc.

Copy that - sounded too good to be true - just ordered two of the Olympus 14-42mm lenses - any sort of zoom will be great. Have you used this Olympus system?
You've ordered 2 zooms without testing them first? I received a used Olympus 14-42 (from Ffordes of Beauly, Inverness, UK). It has a pancake design and extends when in use by 2-3 times the length. I did a quick test with my Olympus OM-D E-M1 MFT before fitting it to the X5. The large barrel of the 14-42 brings it into contact with the camera fixed gimbal and makes it a tight fit to engage and lock. The zoom is controlled by the GO app (2.4.2) with a slider to the left of the manual focus slider. Indoors (and at night) the zoom gave a good range of field of view but no useable images. However, I am awaiting a filter and metal lens hood to balance this light lens. As a result the gimbal was under strain and producing a lot of noise. I powered down and have yet to fly with it.

My 14-42mm arrived today and I put it on X5 and had a test flight. The lens is too "fat" for the gimbal and it was a very tight fit. The "zoom" is not smooth but the ability to zoom with a cheap lens is nonetheless marvelous.

I did post this on a different thread and is worth doing to make the lens a good fit.

"Well I'm sure plenty of people would be horrified but with the combination of using a craft scalpel and a nail file I have gently removed the knurled section from the zoom ring where it was binding against the gimbal, It's still close but the zoom ring is now free to move in both directions against its spring loading. This was not the case before, so I suggest people check to see if the zoom ring is jammed one way or the other. Those few thousands of an inch have also made it easier to fit and remove there lens. I did have a vacuum running adjacent to where I was doing the filing to minimise the risk of any dust contamination.!!

Reactions: JayBurd
The slight binding of the zoom ring -- since it's just connected to an electronic switch -- doesn't actually have any affect on zooming while in flight. As long as you make sure it's centered in its neutral position, the GO app will be the way you control the zoom, and the fact that the ring rubs up against the gimbal won't matter. No filing needed

Last edited:
Reactions: JayBurd
The versatility of a zoom lens is great, but zooms that extend will effect the balance so not desirable. This is one of the main reasons I think fixed lenses will continue to dominate.

Brian

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaricruzRa