Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Cooling Solution to iPad Overheating Issues with DJI GO

Do you suffer from iPad overheating issues when running DJI GO?

• Yes, it's no fun! I'm happy to see a solution

Votes: 16 84.2%
  • No, luckily I don't have to fly in warmer temperatures

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Not anymore, my operation has allowed me to move to CrystalSky running DJI GO

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Website
www.advexure.com
We are happy to announce a solution to iPad overheating issues when operating in warmer temperatures running the processing-rich DJI GO and DJI GO 4 apps, here we introduce the X-Naut iPad Cooling Mount. X-Naut offers simultaneous cooling for iPads when mounted in use on the Mobile Device/Tablet Holder for Inspire, Matrice, and Phantom remote controllers.

X-Naut-iPad-Cooler-1.jpg X-Naut-iPad-Cooler-2.jpg X-Naut-iPad-Cooler-3.jpg

Our team here at Advexure first encountered X-Naut through our manned aviation experience where X-Naut has been a proven iPad cooling solution for the aviation industry, serving pilots who need to keep their EFB system (electronic flight bag) cool and running smoothly in a warm cockpit. Similar to the DJI GO App in the drone industry, single-engine airplane and helicopter pilots run ForeFlight which is a processing intensive program for flight planning, charts, weather, and much more.

Over the past 1-2 months, we have been testing X-Naut and have also put X-Naut in the hands of many of our Southwest US operators for desert testing. To say the least, X-Naut has held up in the warmest of situations and has been a proven solution for drone operators running the DJI GO, GO 4, or any other third party apps for their operation from an iPad.

X-Naut-iPad-Cooler-4.jpg

Main Features
  • Powerful fan based cooling – 4 fully integrated, unassumingly quiet high-RPM fans that are powered by 8 AA batteries
  • Sustain Peak Processing Performance – Even when using powerful, processing-heavy applications and programs like ForeFlight, Wingx Pro, DJI Pilot, or DJI Go 4, the X-Naut reduces internal operating temperature to prevent your iPad from dimming, deliberately closing its applications or other failsafe cooling measures
  • Dependable Build Quality – Constructed with conformal-coated circuitry to resist inevitable moisture and dust build up during field use, the X-Naut is built to be used in suboptimal conditions.
Compatible iPad Models
  • iPad Air (Version 1)
  • iPad Air (Version 2)
  • iPad 9.7″
  • iPad Pro 9.7″

See what X-Naut has to offer here:

Watch X-Naut in action here:

Glad to see these finally making it out into the field. I loaned them a controller from my P4 as a model for the mount.
When I got my cooler, I was pleased to find out it was not as heavy as I anticipated it would be. I only had heat problems with the iPad Air. The pro model 9.7 doesn't seems to be impacted as much.

I'm a little miffed that Apple will not expose the internal temperature readings to applications like the way Android does. I wanted to do a with and without comparison.

How heavy, or ackward does it balance on a single point harness?
Unit without any batteries is 14.7 ounces. Loaded with 8 AA cells it tips out at 21 ounces. With an iPAD 2 37 ounces. So it does add some heft to it, but the balance is spot on. In fact I sort of like the extra weight. It gives the controller some stability and IMO gives you finer control on the sticks. Next time you are up on a job towards PHX drop me a note and maybe we meet up. Unless I come down your way before then.

Looks like a nice solution. I've mainly been using my Crystalsky 7.85 for the last month or so but I've got a project at the beginning of October that is going to require that I use an iPad (have to run AutoPilot for a construction progress deal). Hoping it will cool off a bit by then but highly unlikely

Reactions: Advexure
If you have your iPad in any kind of 'jacket' that covers the metal back you should remove it ... radiation of heat from the metal back is the primary way the iPad cools ... and it will overheat much more quickly if any jacket placed around it ... Discovered from using aviation apps while flying aircraft ...

Thanks for the info., Gary. I may invest in one soon.
I used it yesterday for a mapping project with Pix4D. It was 103 on the ground and the video in the PPV from Pix4D was choppy. Installed the X-Naut, let it run for a few minutes and resumed the mission. No more issues for the next 2 hours. Without it, the iPad would have crashed. It is a little top heavy. Going to try it next on my Secraft tray.

Awesome, do you use any type of hood? I'm thinking my Hoodman straps can go around the Xnaut?

They show the PGYTECH hood which I also have. They have rubber straps which slide over the iPad on the edges. The back needs to be open to allow air into the fans. My other hoods used suction cups which sealed the whole back which might have also added to the heat issues. One of my partners has a Hoodman system and we are flying this weekend and will give it a shot.

Speaking of Hoodman. They have a belt to hold the controller. Saw it up at Interdrone and picked it up on the show special. It actually fits the mount for the x-Naut. And will double as a back brace for lugging a loaded Inspire case with 10 batteries around. :cool:

Drone Controller Support Belt w/DJI Mount Kit - HDBDJI

I used it yesterday for a mapping project with Pix4D. It was 103 on the ground and the video in the PPV from Pix4D was choppy. Installed the X-Naut, let it run for a few minutes and resumed the mission. No more issues for the next 2 hours. Without it, the iPad would have crashed. It is a little top heavy. Going to try it next on my Secraft tray.

Very good to hear, @Fly Gary. We have been receiving very positive feedback on X-Naut and we are happy to hear you're finding success there in sweltering AZ :cool: Safe flying!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klrshopfitters