Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!
Reaction score
Website
skyhighinspection.com
Hi All,

I recently crashed my Inspire 2 due to pilot error, I am still having nightmares, haha. I am not much of a tech repair person so I am hoping for some advice on what I need to look at prior to trying to repair the bird. At initial glance it appears that I need to replace both arms, forward sensors and FPV camera. Are there any tests I can run on the operating systems to ensure that those are all in working order prior to shelling out cash for parts and time attempting repairs? Is there anything else that I should check?

Also, are there any dealers on here that sell new and or used replacement parts?

Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You!

Hi All,

I recently crashed my Inspire 2 due to pilot error, I am still having nightmares, haha. I am not much of a tech repair person so I am hoping for some advice on what I need to look at prior to trying to repair the bird. At initial glance it appears that I need to replace both arms, forward sensors and FPV camera. Are there any tests I can run on the operating systems to ensure that those are all in working order prior to shelling out cash for parts and time attempting repairs? Is there anything else that I should check?

Also, are there any dealers on here that sell new and or used replacement parts?

Thank You!
Since you're "not much of a tech repair person", your best move is to open a repair ticket with DJI and sent the bird for evaluation.

Anything we could learn from your “pilot error”?
I’m always looking to not make mistakes if you would be willing to share.
Might help me avoid a bad situation.

Recovery room should contain an arm chair, big screen and a glass filled with some form of soothing beverage.
All will be good then!

if you dont want to use dji, is there a authorized dealer or drone shop near you. might want an estimate, before you even consider if its worth while for you to do it

Bummer on your I2 crash. I flew the I1 for years with no issues. But within the first 2 months of owning my new I2 (after it was first introduced) I had two crashes. One was pilot error backing into a hill, and the 2nd was an issue with electronic interference that resulted in me forcing a crash landing. The 1st crash did not cause a lot of external damage but the x4s would not work. So I sent it in to DJI for a fix. All was returned and worked well within 10 days. 2 weeks later the 2nd crash occurred. This time the legs were busted and the unit was pretty scarred up. Sent it in again and DJI had it fixed and back in 10 days. Since then I have dumped the x4s and now have the better x5s. Both issues were covered with the DJI Refresh package. My advice is not to mess with it. I did pull apart the leg antenna to get to the motor to tighten it up when I first bought it, but did a lot of sweating hoping not to mess anything up. The I2 is a very technical bird and I would only rely on qualified people to fix it AND test it AND certify it works. You have 7 lbs in the air and you want it to fly right ALL the time. There is too much at stake to try and cut corners and fix it yourself. My 2 bits.....

Hi All,

Thank You!
Ya, I crashed mine also about 6 months ago and it was hard to talk about. I was flying about 10 feet off the ground and came up under a TV cable between the four props. Well, shattered them and dropped down and broke the arm and video board. $600 later was repaired. I took it to DRONE REPAIR here in Houston TEXAS as they had a lot of good reviews and I spoke to the owner and he "checked out in my book".
9769 1/2 Long Point
Houston TEXAS

713 647 0009
Your best bet is to take it to reputable company that has experience. Not necessary the Factory DJI.
I've had and flown my drone numerous times after the repair and everything is fine. You will have to re-calibrate the forward obstacle avoidance

Thank you all for the responses, I decided to stop being hard headed and sent it in to DJI to see what it would cost to reconstruct the mess. I was worried that they would take months to get the bird back but it seems like most experiences with them have been good lately.

Safe Flying Everyone!!

I check for obstructions before every flight, then on takeoff, go straight up to about 100 feet, and do a 360 degree sweep. You can also determine the rough height of buildings, poles, trees as you ascend by noting when the top of the obstruction is even with the horizon. If you need to do an aerial survey, keep at least 25 feet high than the highest obstruction. The FAA says you must keep a drone within line of sight, but they don't say you have to watch it 100% of the time. Often the drone is too small to see, and you have to divide your time between the FPV on the controller and watching the drone, so it's easy to lose track of the drone. However flying behind an obstruction is definitely a no-no, first it's a violation of the FAA rules, second you may get radio interference (especially behind a building), and you may also hit something not in camera view. Sure you're supposed to have an RTH altitude higher than the highest obstruction, but what if the drone hits something on the climb back to RTH altitude? Also sometimes you can't always set the lost signal behavior to RTH (cell tower inspections, for one), you have to set it to Hover, then attempt to reestablish signal. Likewise setting lost signal behavior to land while over trees or water would be disastrous. I think the number one cause of drone crashes is pilot error, mechanical/battery failure would be a distant second.

I check for obstructions before every flight, then on takeoff, go straight up to about 100 feet, and do a 360 degree sweep. You can also determine the rough height of buildings, poles, trees as you ascend by noting when the top of the obstruction is even with the horizon. If you need to do an aerial survey, keep at least 25 feet high than the highest obstruction. The FAA says you must keep a drone within line of sight, but they don't say you have to watch it 100% of the time. Often the drone is too small to see, and you have to divide your time between the FPV on the controller and watching the drone, so it's easy to lose track of the drone. However flying behind an obstruction is definitely a no-no, first it's a violation of the FAA rules, second you may get radio interference (especially behind a building), and you may also hit something not in camera view. Sure you're supposed to have an RTH altitude higher than the highest obstruction, but what if the drone hits something on the climb back to RTH altitude? Also sometimes you can't always set the lost signal behavior to RTH (cell tower inspections, for one), you have to set it to Hover, then attempt to reestablish signal. Likewise setting lost signal behavior to land while over trees or water would be disastrous. I think the number one cause of drone crashes is pilot error, mechanical/battery failure would be a distant second.
Haha, I know it was a mistake. I was inspecting the trailing edge of a wind turbine blade and the blade had some extra twist and was also tighter on the tower than I realized from my perspective. As I slid over to get the best angle I clipped the tower.

I’ve done hundreds of turbines and just got too loose on my own protocols

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
william_sewell