Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Crystalsky monitor vs iPad mini 4 w cellular

Reaction score
Does the gps/glosnass feature on the unreleased crystalsky monitors allow for interaction via gps for using the Follow feature on the flight app?

(Flying the Inspire 1)

I'm deciding between an iPad Pro, iPad mini 4 w/ cellular and the vaunted new CrystalSky monitors that have yet to release.

Thanks for input from the hive, I've tried searching the features of the upcoming tablet, but can't seem to zero in on this specific question.

Also, does this signify a shift from Apple products to DJI proprietary monitors?

I am considering ordering a crystal sky also. I have a P4P+ and love that monitor. I also have an Inspire 1 Pro and have had big problems lately with Ipad mini 2. It has worked fine for 1 1/2 years but since the app has upgraded it freezes badly. I have tried adjusting every possible setting to no avail. My thoughts are that if I have to get a newer monitor, I might as well go with the crystal sky since it was designed and built to work with DJI gear. I'm not crazy about sinking another $400 - $500 into another ipad that isn't bright enough to see without a hood. I have always disliked the brightness (Lack thereof) of the ipad. I don't use it for anything else, so having a dedicated monitor doesn't bother me.
I wish they would get these things out!! It's to the point where I cannot use my I1pro at all. Perhaps this app 'upgrade' was intended to stimulate sales of the CS........... who knows.

Yeah, I'm not crazy about the brightness of the mini. I was using a mini until the last few updates rendered it useless.

Gps functionality is a must for the type of work I'll be doing.

Does the gps/glosnass feature on the unreleased crystalsky monitors allow for interaction via gps for using the Follow feature on the flight app?

(Flying the Inspire 1)

I'm deciding between an iPad Pro, iPad mini 4 w/ cellular and the vaunted new CrystalSky monitors that have yet to release.

Thanks for input from the hive, I've tried searching the features of the upcoming tablet, but can't seem to zero in on this specific question.

Also, does this signify a shift from Apple products to DJI proprietary monitors?
The GPS in the CrystalSky monitor can replace the GPS module used on the Inspire 2 controller. As for the Inspire 1, I will check that at AUVSI this week and confirm back with you.

I am considering ordering a crystal sky also. I have a P4P+ and love that monitor. I also have an Inspire 1 Pro and have had big problems lately with Ipad mini 2. It has worked fine for 1 1/2 years but since the app has upgraded it freezes badly. I have tried adjusting every possible setting to no avail. My thoughts are that if I have to get a newer monitor, I might as well go with the crystal sky since it was designed and built to work with DJI gear. I'm not crazy about sinking another $400 - $500 into another ipad that isn't bright enough to see without a hood. I have always disliked the brightness (Lack thereof) of the ipad. I don't use it for anything else, so having a dedicated monitor doesn't bother me.
I wish they would get these things out!! It's to the point where I cannot use my I1pro at all. Perhaps this app 'upgrade' was intended to stimulate sales of the CS........... who knows.

We think that the CrystalSky monitor is going to be popular among all DJI platforms because there just is not another great way go get a bright screen. Up until this point, we have been using multiple monitors to combat the iPad's reflective screen that is difficult to see in the sun. We generally use an iOS device on one side of a Secraft tray and another monitor of some type on the other side of the tray (visible in the sun) that gets its signal from the HDMI port (Inspire 1, Inspire 2 and M600 or Light Bridge 2 stand alone radios). This has worked very well, but the idea of a single, large and bright monitor is a great thing. It may still make sense to use another monitor for the FPV cam to be able to see them side by side, but the CrystalSky monitor is very exciting.

Anyone wanting to look at Secraft accessories or order a CrystalSky monitor can do so here:
New Items

Thanks!

I am ready. Tired of the dim ipad that is now obsolete.
When are they expected to be shipping?

The current info puts them leaving DJI within the next couple weeks. This is always a moving target (as we have all come to know and understand with a new DJI product). What we have been told is that they could begin shipping around mid to late May, arrive to dealers shortly after that and then go immediately to the customers. What we don't know is the quantities that each size will have available right away. We will be at the DJI booth at AUVSI on Tuesday and will try to get a better update on timing.

If you are reasonable sure you are going to get one, the best thing to do is to decide on your size and brightness and get a pre-order placed. We have also been warned that initial supply could be restrained but they will produce them as fast as they can.

DJI CrystalSky Monitor

Thanks!

(Flying the Inspire 1)

Dont bother with any iPad, wait for Crystalsky!

(Flying the Inspire 1)

Keep in mind, the Crystal Sky monitors only work with the DJI apps, And not 3rd party ones such as FPV Camera and AP.
Who uses the awful features in the DJI app anyway?
I only use it when powering up to check settings then shut it off and I switch to FPV Camera for missions.
Perhaps DJI will upgrade their features, I don't know.
A real disappointment to say the least. I won't be getting that monitor anytime soon.
Too bad one couldn't use both a tablet for planning a mission and Crystal for viewing the mission.
The other option is using the new goggles which I understand can be used with a tablet.

Reactions: Plafonta
Keep in mind, the Crystal Sky monitors only work with the DJI apps, And not 3rd party ones such as FPV Camera and AP.
Who uses the awful features in the DJI app anyway?
I only use it when powering up to check settings then shut it off and I switch to FPV Camera for missions.
Perhaps DJI will upgrade their features, I don't know.
A real disappointment to say the least. I won't be getting that monitor anytime soon.
Too bad one couldn't use both a tablet for planning a mission and Crystal for viewing the mission.
The other option is using the new goggles which I understand can be used with a tablet.

I completely agree with you..A deal breaker not being able to use 3rd party..Has anything changed as far as using the Crystal with AP and FPV?..Otherwise, I'll have to purchase a wifi/cell Mini 4..

I completely agree with you..A deal breaker not being able to use 3rd party..Has anything changed as far as using the Crystal with AP and FPV?..Otherwise, I'll have to purchase a wifi/cell Mini 4..
Spoke with DJI today and they said they now will allow sdk developers to program the CS but if n doing so, you run a risk should you crash as the warranty will be void.
So what's the difference I ask then if you use 3rd party apps on a tablet? Warranty void anyway should you crash!

Hey all...

I got the iPad Pro 9.7 for my primary flight monitor (I have an iPad Air 2 for the 2nd controller with camera/slave). Man I have to tell you, it works great! Also it's really fast, and I can use it for other things. I am an Adobe freak, so I can actually use the iPad Pro to post-edit and send to clients. I love the iPad Pro for it. I think the Crystal Sky Monitor would be great, but it's a real deal breaker for me as it will not allow me to use it as a post processor as well. I have a MacBook Pro for the heavy lifting, lol, but in the field (with DroneDeploy, etc.) the iPad Pro is a beast so far! Just IMHO. Have a great UAV weekend everyone!

K

Hey all...

I got the iPad Pro 9.7 for my primary flight monitor (I have an iPad Air 2 for the 2nd controller with camera/slave). Man I have to tell you, it works great! Also it's really fast, and I can use it for other things. I am an Adobe freak, so I can actually use the iPad Pro to post-edit and send to clients. I love the iPad Pro for it. I think the Crystal Sky Monitor would be great, but it's a real deal breaker for me as it will not allow me to use it as a post processor as well. I have a MacBook Pro for the heavy lifting, lol, but in the field (with DroneDeploy, etc.) the iPad Pro is a beast so far! Just IMHO. Have a great UAV weekend everyone!

K
Is it necessary to get the cellular option with the iPad Pro? Can the third party apps work with only the wifi option? I have a CS on one controller and am looking for an iPad Pro but I don't want to have to shell out more money for another cellular option.

I think all you need connectivity for is the maps, but you can pre load them or if you wish to stream your flight live. However with the newfound cellular interference issue the newr iterations of the go app, cellular becomes useless.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlberthaLo