Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Dam, can you fly over one?

Reaction score
Was at a small **** in Ohio and a Corp of Engineering guy came over and nicely told us it was restricted airspace. Just as he was telling us, a small plane flew low directly over the dam.:) After an awkward pause, he said they shouldn't be doing that. Anyway, we apologized for not knowing and went to see the ranger. He was baffled as to why the other guy brought us to him and shrugged as if what was he supposed to do.

The ranger said paraphrasing, "I would love to have one of those. People have been flying rc craft for decades and no one cared until drones." Then he told us about an rc field about 15 minutes away that is about 100 ft. next to another small dam. He put his hands up and shrugged again. Very cool guy. He took our names and email address and said he'd see if he can get us permission to fly over it. My wife and I are probably on some list now.:(

This is a dam where people can walk over the dam and it is not patrolled on the weekend.

I've searched and can't find a restriction. I should stress that it was not an unpleasant encounter. BTW, the few people at the dam were thrilled with the quad, as am I.:)

Was at a small **** in Ohio and a Corp of Engineering guy came over and nicely told us it was restricted airspace. Just as he was telling us, a small plane flew low directly over the dam.:) After an awkward pause, he said they shouldn't be doing that. Anyway, we apologized for not knowing and went to see the ranger. He was baffled as to why the other guy brought us to him and shrugged as if what was he supposed to do.

The ranger said paraphrasing, "I would love to have one of those. People have been flying rc craft for decades and no one cared until drones." Then he told us about an rc field about 15 minutes away that is about 100 ft. next to another small dam. He put his hands up and shrugged again. Very cool guy. He took our names and email address and said he'd see if he can get us permission to fly over it. My wife and I are probably on some list now.:(

This is a dam where people can walk over the dam and it is not patrolled on the weekend.

I've searched and can't find a restriction. I should stress that it was not an unpleasant encounter. BTW, the few people at the dam were thrilled with the quad, as am I.:)

Yup. Basically flying from any National Park, or other federal property is prohibited. Sucks, but that is the policy. They are particularly paranoid about any infrastructure, such as dams. Even if there is a road over the structure, you best not even stop to look over it, you will very likely get run off.

Yup. Basically flying from any National Park, or other federal property is prohibited. Sucks, but that is the policy. They are particularly paranoid about any infrastructure, such as dams. Even if there is a road over the structure, you best not even stop to look over it, you will very likely get run off.

Yeah, I didn't know until the encounter that dams are federal. It was in a state park so....

Just watch out for updrafts on dams! :confused:

flying from any National Park, or other federal property is prohibited.
That's not true at all. They are prohibited in National Parks and NRA's because the Park Superintendent passed an edict last year prohibiting them. It certainly does not apply to all other federally owned properties. As for other federal properties, it's at the jurisdiction of the appropriate governing body of that property. For examples, they are [currently] allowed in federally owned National Forest Land, federally owned BLM land, California State Parks, etc.

Reactions: damoncooper
NBUMMib.jpg

Reactions: davidbarwin
I ran in to the same thing. Was supposed to be in Banff, BC and figured that I would rather go in knowing what I could and couldn't do. Canadian National Parks are off limits as well. Never mind that I have my ROC-A so I can talk to any potential low flying aircraft, certified training, and that I have $1MM liability insurance just in case the unfortunate happens...
Really sucks...cause there would be some killer waterfalls going on right now with the start of spring run off :'(

Maybe if the Marxist Jihadist in Chief would actually allow monitoring of our southern border, we wouldn't have to be so concerned about this type issue.

The land of the (redacted, restricted,repressed), and the home of the brave.

Seriously? You're not allowed to fly in a national park or over any publicly owned infrastructure asset? Does that also include roads and bridges, schools, sports fields and parks? Screw that.

Reactions: slim.slamma
You're not allowed to fly in a national park or over any publicly owned infrastructure asset? Does that also include roads and bridges, schools, sports fields and parks?
You're not allowed in National Parks because Park Superintendent passed an edict last May prohibiting them in NP's and NRA's.

As far as publicly owned infrastructure, I can tell you that after 9-11 they became very, very upset with people taking photos of such locations. Even being on foot with a camera, from a public roadway, you had a high chance of being detained, interrogated, and your film (or memory card) confiscated if you were spotted.

Prior to 9-11, it was not really a big deal. It was even possible to climb up inside the Golden Gate bridge towers, for example. No longer.

Note that you CAN fly over National Park land but you cannot takeoff from or land ON it.

The distinction may be a small one but it was called out clearly in the NP rule.

The NPS makes no claim to control the airspace over NP land.

I shot this video - owned by the local power company - prior to any knowledge of not flying over it. I even spoke to some of the workers there and gave them my business card. I was filming because I grew up going to this dam as a kid and I thought it would make for some beautiful video- plus one of the workers there told me when the flood gates would be opening so I was like Score!.

Imagine my surprise when the sheriff called me the next day, telling me the power company has said not to fly around the dam any longer. They couldn't even call me themselves. They're afraid of terrorists- which I get, but did you do any research as to who I am? I'm a publicly well-known figure... isn't too hard to find me.

If they would have looked at my facebook page, you you're only going to find posts about my kid, my music or maybe some comical meme. There are absolutely no religious or political rants of any kind. These politicians and others who blindly point the finger accusingly before they know what they are pointing at just kill me. It's like frisking the old lady at the airport, because like, you know she's a terrorists.

Anyway- I got the following video. Color is not that great, due to the positioning of the sun, but time was of the essence.

Enjoy:

I shot this video - owned by the local power company - prior to any knowledge of not flying over it. I even spoke to some of the workers there and gave them my business card. I was filming because I grew up going to this dam as a kid and I thought it would make for some beautiful video- plus one of the workers there told me when the flood gates would be opening so I was like Score!.

Imagine my surprise when the sheriff called me the next day, telling me the power company has said not to fly around the dam any longer. They couldn't even call me themselves. They're afraid of terrorists- which I get, but did you do any research as to who I am? I'm a publicly well-known figure... isn't too hard to find me.

If they would have looked at my facebook page, you you're only going to find posts about my kid, my music or maybe some comical meme. There are absolutely no religious or political rants of any kind. These politicians and others who blindly point the finger accusingly before they know what they are pointing at just kill me. It's like frisking the old lady at the airport, because like, you know she's a terrorists.

Anyway- I got the following video. Color is not that great, due to the positioning of the sun, but time was of the essence.

Enjoy:
Honestly, I don't think the law cares (or should care) if you are a publicly well-known figure or not and the power company did the right thing in calling the sheriff to inform you rather than taking things into their own hands. At least they had the courtesy to inform you rather than file charges right away. Informing their workers and giving them your name card is not the same as getting an authorisation from the power company.

Aside from water flowing uphill at 1:22, the video looks good with nice smooth motion. Perhaps you can consider adding some camera movement into shots to make the motion more dramatic.

Reactions: ChadAustin
Thanks ATU-

Up to that point, I didn't know I needed their permission, I was just trying to be friendly with the business card.

And I left out that they did call me the next day first before the sheriff. And the rep and I got along fabulously! But he asked me at some point not to fly over the dam, and I agreed, stating that was fine: I already had the footage for which I was hoping. However, I asked the guy if he could talk to his folks, and ask for permission for me to fly in the lower basin the following week, after a coming hurricane. It would not be near the dam- probably 400-500 ft away.

I should have just went flown it anyway, because it was actually 600 ft away from the dam, and past the 500 ft 'circle' in which I now understand I can't fly.

My response was the next day was a call from the sheriff. It just so happens, I own the marketing company for the city where I live, and he knew me. He thought they were stupid, and I do as well.

After I had spoke with the Power Company rep (and before the sheriff call) I was like, "he (the rep) seems pretty nice. perhaps they'd like a gifted still shot from one of my shots for their web site, since the one they currently had was pretty bad." But after that experience? Screw em. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry