Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Dilemma: Which to chose Inspire 1 V2 Pro or Inspire 2 with X4S

Reaction score
Website
vimeo.com
Hello ladies and gentlemen,

I have a dilemma. I am torn between an Inspire 1 V2 Pro and the Inspire 2 with the X4S camera. I have Googled quite a bit and for me it costs about $500 more or so to get the I2. In terms of performance the I2 has the upper hand, however, I am wondering if the camera on the I1 is comparable or better than the X4S in actual usage. Thanks in advance.

Go for the I2 and upgrade the camera when you can afford and depending on your requirements - what is your application ?

Hi Bluelight... I am a photographer and found the cameras on the P4 and the Mavic to be lacking in comparison to the quality that I am getting from my DSLR's (Nikon D810 and Nikon D500). I shoot mainly for pleasure, but at the same time I do like quality in my images. With that in mind, I originally had an Inspire 1 with the Z3 camera and gimbal (same as the Osmo), however I decided to spend a bit more and step up to a more capable camera system. I shoot landscapes and city-scapes at night. As I live in Finland currently, I am not impeded by many of the restrictions that others face. I usually fly out over the sea and around 150 meters max so I am not sure if the visual avoidance system is something I really need. I think for me the camera is the more important thing. Unlike many here, I am simply buying the Inspire (1 or 2) as a hobby drone that can satisfy my photography needs. Decisions, decisions.

Maybe not - but if your over the sea i think id like battery redundancy!!!!

Good point Bluelight. I just did a check of my previous P4 and Mavic logs and for the most part, I only fly about 15 minutes while shooting. The extra capacity would be very handy but most likely not needed in regards to the time I fly and the way I shoot. For many here, an Inspire 1 or 2 is a tool that they are making money with while for me, it is just an extension of my photography hobby. I am still debating but I am closer to a decision now. Thanks for the help.

P.S. I would also pick up an extra battery or three to be on the safe side as well.

Last edited:
Lol... companies build airplanes, helicopters, and spacecraft daily.

Meanwhile, everyone knows that Chinese products have poor quality control across the board. It's a fact of business. They are cheaper in mass production because of that and many other reasons, so anyone concerned purely with their bottom line will go to them to manufacture. Evidenced even more by the fact that companies are starting to take their business elsewhere.

And if you need more proof, look purely at DJI's track record.

The extra capacity would be very handy but most likely not needed in regards to the time I fly and the way I shoot. For many here, an Inspire 1 or 2 is a tool that they are making money with while for me, it is just an extension of my photography hobby. I am still debating but I am closer to a decision now

For me its more the case if a battery fails over water you've lost your kit - at least with the extra battery its a possibility of getting it back - id look at that over the extra 5 mins flight time - whether its a hobby or not - can you afford to loose your kit over water ?

Reactions: deltalimatango
For me its more the case if a battery fails over water you've lost your kit - at least with the extra battery its a possibility of getting it back - id look at that over the extra 5 mins flight time - whether its a hobby or not - can you afford to loose your kit over water ?

Agreed but I have very good insurance that will replace it but you've made me rethink the 27mins flight time with the I2.

The "extra" flight time is really more of a function of balanced batteries. Yes, they are a tad bit larger, but the main goal was to be able to fly the larger camera at the same time, and redundancy. Both things you'd want.

I've had both - i had the inspire 1 pro black with x5 and loved it so much i bought the i2 for the extra battery and the upgraded motors etc. More future proof for me, and at the end of the day -its like a computer you buy the best you can afford so it lasts longer with spec etc. If you're buying for your hobby, it will last you a long time, and still upgradable in the future via eBay cheaper hopefully!

I've had both - i had the inspire 1 pro black with x5 and loved it so much i bought the i2 for the extra battery and the upgraded motors etc. More future proof for me, and at the end of the day -its like a computer you buy the best you can afford so it lasts longer with spec etc. If you're buying for your hobby, it will last you a long time, and still upgradable in the future via eBay cheaper hopefully!

BL, you're the man mate. Good points. I don't skimp on camera gear (my DSLR gear is all pro) so why do that with the drone? One thing that I'm not clear about. Will the I2 fly for 27 mins with one battery? The DJI site is a bit vague about this.

Yeah, just bought the I2 because the way these things are released, the I1 is obsolete IMO.
I was thinking about picking one up for the mapping I do, but I'm just gonna wait till better stuff for the I2 comes out.

With almost every system being redundant, I feel better flying it. It also keeps you ready for the next round of government regulation, because I really do hope they make commercial operators go through some more stringent tests, in person flight school, and airframe inspections like the rest of the REAL aircraft out there.
Also hope mandatory insurance is coming too...

Yeah, just bought the I2 because the way these things are released, the I1 is obsolete IMO.
I was thinking about picking one up for the mapping I do, but I'm just gonna wait till better stuff for the I2 comes out.

With almost every system being redundant, I feel better flying it. It also keeps you ready for the next round of government regulation, because I really do hope they make commercial operators go through some more stringent tests, in person flight school, and airframe inspections like the rest of the REAL aircraft out there.
Also hope mandatory insurance is coming too...

Hey EDDSkitz, now that you and Bluelight support convinced me to get the I2, and I will get the X4s, I am still unsure about the actual 1 battery flight time. Is it 27 minutes or do you need 2 batteries to get the 27 mins?

Reactions: EDDSkitz
You can't run with only one battery anymore, and that's good, as the point isn't extended run time, but redundancy... something you want because the I1's had a habit of killing batteries and falling from the sky apparently.

You can no longer take of with only one battery installed in the latest firmware, so you'll have to fly with two.

The I2 is supplied with two batteries in the box. Realistic flight time is prob' between 23 and 25mins with x4s (max I've managed with the x5s is 22, and more usually 21mins.

If you want extra batteries, then you'll need to buy them in 2's.

Enjoy it :)

You can no longer take of with only one battery installed in the latest firmware, so you'll have to fly with two.

The I2 is supplied with two batteries in the box. Realistic flight time is prob' between 23 and 25mins with x4s (max I've managed with the x5s is 22, and more usually 21mins.

If you want extra batteries, then you'll need to buy them in 2's.

Enjoy it :)

Cheers mate. Thanks. With the P4 and Mavic I was more concerned about distance flying and such but I am looking forward to doing some actual photograph and video work. I'm pretty psyched. Lots of good info in this group.

As a photographer, You'll like the I2 after the P4 and Mavic. It handles really precisely and is very stable in hover in comparison. You should find the detail in the still images improves too - a touch less smeared than from the P4. It's also nice to have aperture control, something I miss when I fly my P4.

( I'm still flying my P4 alongside the I2 as it can get in some spots I wouldn't put the I2 - like thru windows in ruined houses!).

Biggest difference coming from the fixed gimbal is getting used to uncoupling the gimbal from the direction of the aircraft and the increased stability it gives, especially with panning and panoramic shots. But it also means you need to be more aware of the aircraft heading when flying as the big camera view on the Go4 app isn't always were it's going ;) :D

It's a excellent upgrade from the smaller quads, and closer to a proper camera. Have fun!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vapehere