Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

DJI announcement Oct 11 - new camera system?

Lens looks to be a f/2.8 16mm prime. Made by who is the question. Hass'y had that lens (Made by Sony) but dropped it and Sony took it up. Maybe with the DJI/Hass'y merger they got it back. The face looks like the Sony version buried deep in the hood in the above photo.

Having taken the back off the X5S, there may be enough room to the sides for the Super 35mm or APS-C sensor given it is not that much larger than the X5S M43 sensor. Maybe 20% to the side and 10% to the top of the current X5S sensor would do it.

The lens mount should be the interesting part, and just what lenses can be used on it without exceeding the gimbal weight limit. I don't think there's a very large selection of lightweight lenses in E-mounts out there, but we'll find out tomorrow. It certainly cannot carry a cinema-type T-stop video lens as they weigh a ton.

Some more leaked photos: Whatif tomorrow X7 will be released for I2

Lens looks like it is carbon fiber casing for weight savings. Says 50mm so maybe full frame, or moderate telephoto since the other online photos look to be 28mm? The 24MP sort of leads me to think it is an APC-S or Super 35 though as Full Frame is currently higher in that MP range and a FF might be closer to 8K than 6K. Maybe a limit of the Cinecore processor too?

The DL lens mount is confusing. Might mean it is a Dot Line mount which might mean it takes an adapter and will take sundry lenses like the REDs do. Might explain all the notches at the bottom for indexing if not electrical contacts. Sigma made some DL lenses but they weren't really sharp. Pentax had some odd *ist DL series too. Dunno, but a universal mount would be intriguing as I've got one for my Pen-F and it resurrected a lot of older M42 screw-mount lenses to fit on it. Hopefully, not locked into an only DJI carbon fiber lens system.

Waiting for more info, but somehow I doubt "being cheap" will fit.

Well, being locked into only four lenses seems more restricting than the X5S that allows for more lenses and even zooms. Not much gain if you are looking for a still aerial camera either. Video seems to be its design target.

So it is a APS-C sensor and 24MP as I predicted. The buzzword of "Super 35mm" is marketing sale's speak as their is also an APS-H size which is larger. Should work better in low light though and maybe a stop or so gain in dynamic range too (Which is often exaggerated, imho.).

"Not much gain if you are looking for a still aerial camera either" ---> well if you look at samples of recent APS-C cameras I think they are way better than the X5S despite the relatively comparable pixel count (20 vs 24 megapixels). I agree that the main target is video users though.

Live from the Zenmuse X7 release event in Hollywood!

36d9e2b5db895c20903de4235406dcc3.jpg

Zenmuse X7 is here and now available for pre-order at Advexure. Pre-order now direct at Advexure.com or give us a call at (424) 317-4450 with any questions pertaining to the new X7.

Pricing
DJI Zenmuse X7 (Lens Excluded) – $2,699
DJI Zenmuse X7 DL-S 16mm F2.8 ND ASPH Lens – $1,299
DJI Zenmuse X7 DL 24mm F2.8 LS ASPH Lens – $1,299
DJI Zenmuse X7 DL 35mm F2.8 LS ASPH Lens – $1,299
DJI Zenmuse X7 DL 50mm F2.8 LS ASPH Lens – $1,199
DJI Zenmuse X7 DL/DL-S Lens Set – $4,299

Availability
The Zenmuse X7 and lenses are estimated to begin shipping from Advexure in early November.

Key Features & Highlights
  • Super 35 sensor
  • CinemaDNG RAW 6K
  • Apple ProRes 5.2K
  • 24 MP stills
  • DL-Mount compatible with four DJI prime lenses
  • Cinema Color System - preserves accurate coloring for easier post work
  • Lenses are made of carbon, very lightweight

Last edited:
DJI's website is affiliated? lol

$2699 for the camera
$1299 for each lens except the 50mm $1199
$7k for all lenses with camera.

Last edited:
ok so for me doing hi-res mapping, compare a 12mm Olympus lens on x5s giving a 35mm equiv of 24mm (35mm) at 20mp, compared to the new x7, 16mm lens giving an equiv of 19mm (35mm) at 24mp, so a 4mp resolution increase against 5mm increase of wide angle, is that worth it - considering I am only using this for imaging and not video - for me - Im thinking no - but would welcome thoughts on this ?

ok so for me doing hi-res mapping, compare a 12mm Olympus lens on x5s giving a 35mm equiv of 24mm (35mm) at 20mp, compared to the new x7, 16mm lens giving an equiv of 19mm (35mm) at 24mp, so a 4mp resolution increase against 5mm increase of wide angle, is that worth it - considering I am only using this for imaging and not video - for me - Im thinking no - but would welcome thoughts on this ?

Yeah, I think the only gain you'll see is for video and not so much with the still photos. My old Nikon shoots 16MP and it is sharper than the X5S or X4s with 20MP, but the Nikon has better glass and maybe a better processing engine than DJI and no aerial buziness. I know my 20MP Pen-F is also sharper than the X5S using the same lens between them and maybe due to gimbal buzines too, or the better 5-axis stabilizer of the Olympus sensor.

I'll wait and see how DxOMark scores the sensor. I don't think it will be that much, maybe 80-82 perhaps if they are relying on post-processing software to fix it's oddities. The 16mm lens wasn't known to be a sharp lens when Hassleblad had it and later dropped it to Sony. Lots will hinge there too on the glass and how it scores. When I read "soft skin tones" I wondered.

Personally, I could see the camera retailing for $1,899 given there are so many 24MP APS-C cameras out there for $1,000 less the cost of the gimbal, and maybe the re-branded prime lenses for $700 max. Given no Osmo mentioned either, I'm out. DJI is not on the level of RED or Arri, imho, nor is their poor quality control and slow service worth paying that much, imo.

Reactions: gruvpix
If DJI is developing the glass completely in house, that would be my number 1 concern.
I am still quite happy with my X5R and I'll definitely be tempering my excitement towards this system until seeing some professionally shot footage. Call me skeptical on this one, I just think we are at a point of diminishing returns on these systems so getting reliable quality is the name of the game.

Reactions: Richard M
In the introduction movie of Zenmuse X7, I am concerned that CS is not being used...

So can i ask all the inspire 2 owners, Do you feel a bit let down by Dji bringing this out when the x5s was meant to be the best offering for the i2. I think its incredibly cheeky but i like a good moan so wonder what other people think?

This has just happened to me with out new 3d printer, new model launched just as i am finished building ours but at least i can upgrade the printer to the new spec.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcusFalc