Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

DJI Inspire 1v2 versus DJI Phantom 4 Pro.

Reaction score
I have flown my P4P approx 180 hours in total since acquisition some 2 years ago, and recently acquired an Inspire 1 v2 with a Zenmuse X3 camera - which I have now flown about 24 hours.

My observations are that the P4P has by far the better camera for still images, and a much more stable filming platform in high winds, of which there are more than enough in SW England. I am not at all impressed with the Zenmuse X3 camera for the capture of still images, and reckon that my next purchase will be the Zenmuse X5 camera.

I recently had to do a commercial job in high winds (gusting 35-40 mph) - the P4P was "rock solid" and stable, but the Inspire 1 was "dangerous". The shoot was in a wild open space with no other people nor property in the vicinity - had there been so - I would not have flown. I was hoping that the Inspire would have been a steadier platform than the P4P - but it very disappointedly, wasn't ! I would be interested in hearing the views of pilots with probably more experience than my own.

Owning them both, and with the Z3 (zoom) on the I1 and also the X5R I'm a bit wary to comment as they are so different in terms of camera i.e. X5R, interchangeable lenses etc. But, will somewhat agree that the I1, whether V2 or original, still not as stable a platform. But, at least in my opinion they complement each other and owning both is a worthwhile system, for backup, etc. BTW, I also have an I2 and yes, I2 best of all for all of the above reasons, but a big chunk of money for what may be not too much gain e.g. X5S, or X7, batteries, etc a fairly large investment. Not to menion the looming specter of an I2 replacement hanging over our heads.

Interesting flying JD. I have never owned a P4 (or any Phantom), but fly my I2 mainly, with an I1 as a backup. My wind cutoff is usually 25 mph, and temp cutoff is -25F. Almost all my stuff is video. I have found the X3 a good camera for video, and OK for stills. I also have a Z3, and it has an issue of a bit out of focus on the left side of the frame, so I do not use it. I am sure the I1 is a bit crazy in high wind. My I2 is a beast and it handles wind well. That said, on a windy day I will never take projects around high trees or buildings. Simply cannot get good filming with all the bouncing. For pro stuff it is critical that you have the ability to change out the lenses, and control the camera settings. I also use a Cendence and Crystalsky with the I2. The Crystalsky did not work well with the I1, so I use an iPad. My 2 bits.....

Aloha, I’ve got 85 flights on the inspire 1v2 & 6 flights on a newly acquired inspire 1 both of which have a Zenmuse x3. I’ve never flown a p4 but have done a ton of research and had to ultimately take the inspire route. I’m not saying it’s better for you but I’ll walk you through why it was better for me.

I bought a few acres of raw land on the big island of Hawaii but wanted to map it for my permaculture farm/healing center so we can build ponds and have running water. During the final leg of shopping it was neck and neck between the P4 with RTK or the I1v2. There are high winds commonly in hawaii and I fly over the water often so I had to go with the more powerful bird, I1v2.

Battery life is better on the phantoms, camera is better, stability MAY be better, set up and take off is easier with the phantoms BUT, the Inspire is the only drone that I know of for under $10,000 that retracts the landing gear out of the shot and offers the ability to have two operators. One pilot and one camera operator to ensure the best framing while maintaining the safest flight. Offering the best product under the best conditions using two people. {My wife is my “cameraman”}

I have yet to find someone who tells me that their phantom is more powerful and has less out of frame shots with landing gear and propellers in their shots. I am a part 107 pilot and choose to work “offshore” a bit more and a little more extreme conditions but have never once had any regrets about my choice.

If you want to go into real estate or wedding photography I’d say get a phantom, just keep the legs and props out of the shot. If you’re looking to get into cinematic filming, agriculture, sailing etc I’d go with the Inspire. Plus, the I3 will be here soon which will be hands down the best bird out there for quite a bit of money but it is also going to make the I2s even cheaper. In my opinion, the I1 is still a GREAT bird for the price, my I1 was only $850.

And lastly, it feels really good to see someone with a Mavic who thinks they are the coolest kid on the block until I open up the Inspires. Let alone the aesthetics, the sound of the propellers is intense.

Happy flying

Attachments

• AAA7D46C-130C-4FBA-9B82-B386FF3F4D19.jpeg
    AAA7D46C-130C-4FBA-9B82-B386FF3F4D19.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 22
Concur with RMF808. Even though DJI seems determined to rid the world of the I1, it is still a great heli. I have one as a backup with a lot of batteries. I am bummed that the Z3 ended up being not so good, but the rest work fine. Indeed the landing gear is a real issue on the P series. There are times when I am doing a shoot that requires me to poor on the gas, and the P series would have likely revealed the gear. Occasionally I get some prop shadow, but not often. Sorry to stray from you original comments, but as much as I thought of buying a Phantom pre-Inspire, I am glad I waited. I love the I2 and the X5S and the Cendence and the Crystalsky..... (I do not like the geo-fencing though on any of the DJI products however)

Reactions: RMF808
I have flown my P4P approx 180 hours in total since acquisition some 2 years ago, and recently acquired an Inspire 1 v2 with a Zenmuse X3 camera - which I have now flown about 24 hours.

My observations are that the P4P has by far the better camera for still images, and a much more stable filming platform in high winds, of which there are more than enough in SW England. I am not at all impressed with the Zenmuse X3 camera for the capture of still images, and reckon that my next purchase will be the Zenmuse X5 camera.

I recently had to do a commercial job in high winds (gusting 35-40 mph) - the P4P was "rock solid" and stable, but the Inspire 1 was "dangerous". The shoot was in a wild open space with no other people nor property in the vicinity - had there been so - I would not have flown. I was hoping that the Inspire would have been a steadier platform than the P4P - but it very disappointedly, wasn't ! I would be interested in hearing the views of pilots with probably more experience than my own.
Yea well that is somewhat expected right? The P4P camera is more comparable to the x4 technology wise I believe.

The X5R is a significant step up in camera performance. cDNG is a game changer.

Stability issues are the nature of the beast with an I1.

Without flying any of the phantom line, you may want to try one.

I hate the way the phantoms look and mine far out powered my buddy’s p4 in a flight test. I said just because I went with the inspire doesn’t mean you do. Same for you, you don’t need to push your ideas on me. Enjoy the props & landing gear in your shots!

I hate the way the phantoms look and mine far out powered my buddy’s p4 in a flight test. I said just because I went with the inspire doesn’t mean you do. Same for you, you don’t need to push your ideas on me. Enjoy the props & landing gear in your shots!
Just a suggestion. I didn’t like the looks of the phantom line myself for some time. They are one of DJI’s better products as far as their flight characteristics go. DJI will not be disappointed by your choice.
They sell them by the ton.
My apologies if you have been offended by a simple suggestion.

I did take it that way and of course DJI is going to be happy with my choice. I’m still going to buy a more expensive DJI product. There is no logic in your response.

I felt I was pretty clear that the phantom was not for me and happy with the inspire. I used “may” for the lack of knowledge in that area but I have no desire to find out.

My next bird is either going to be in the M series or an I3. I don’t have time for toys like the phantoms or Mavics.

Once again, no need for a response as I feel this is the clearest explanation I can offer you.

You kind of nailed it. The P4P is much better in higher wind. Overall, the P4P is a much more stable platform. The camera is better than the X3, too. Higher Bitrate for video (60Mbps vs. 100Mbps), and has a mechanical shutter for better stills at speed. Where the Inspire 1 shines is in Dual Operator mode, and the X5 and X5S cameras.

D

Reactions: Starz

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cruzamikayla