Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

DJI Joins the Micro Four Thirds Consortium

Reaction score
http://www.imaging-resource.com/new...stem-standard-leads-the-way-for-more-powerful

Micro Four Thirds (MFT) is a standard for camera sensors and lens mount. These sensors are much larger than the most point-and-shoot cameras, and a bit smaller than the APS-C sensors found in entry-level DSLRs. In short, they are the sweet spot for aerial photography. The Panasonic GH4 is the most well-known MFT video camera, delivering stunning 4K video in a tiny package.

I hope this announcement leads to an Inspire camera module with an MFT sensor in it.

Aw, it's helpful to read the off-topic section, where I posted this news yesterday. :p
(Off-topic because it's more about DJI as a company and not directly about the Inspire)

But yes, I do hope this points to a new cameras for the Inspire and Phantom (and sooner rather than later).

Aw, it's helpful to read the off-topic section, where I posted this news yesterday. :p
(Off-topic because it's more about DJI as a company and not directly about the Inspire)

But yes, I do hope this points to a new cameras for the Inspire and Phantom (and sooner rather than later).

I'd think the Inspire would need some serious beefing up to do an M43 camera -- the lenses alone are much larger and heavier than what it uses now.

That's true, and that's why I assumed that the next Inspire camera option would be a smaller sensor, like the 1/1" sensor in the Sony RX100.

Here is a 12mm f/2.0 MFT lens that is only 130 grams:.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1078711-REG/olympus_v311020bu001_m_zuiko_digital_ed_12mm.html

And a 17mm f/2.8 MFT lens that is only 71 grams:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/631778-REG/Olympus_261502_M_Zuiko_Digital_17mm_f2_8.html

So I think it is possible.

I'm all for it -- just not expecting to fly with my Vario 100-300 anytime soon :)

The inspire by itself is more than able to carry 600g of lenses, but the gimbal should be stronger and highly configurable to correctly balance the cam+lens

The inspire by itself is more than able to carry 600g of lenses, but the gimbal should be stronger and highly configurable to correctly balance the cam+lens

That's why I really like the integrated gimbal and camera setup of the Inspire with the QD. Each "Camera" (sensor, lens, gimbal, QD) is an integrated package customized for fit and balance.

You can't compare the weight of a GH4 to an integrated camera on the inspire1. If you strip all the excess weight off the consumer GH4 and all you remove the heavy outside casing, the battery, the buttons, the lcd, all the extra stuff that makes it a handheld camera, you are left with a very minimal amount of weight. I also don't think there will be a removable lens for an integrated setup, but that would be nice.

Well....

The specs for the DJI E800 motors used on the Inspire say that the lift spec per motor is 800g. 4 X 800g = 3200g spec lift capability.

DJI Inspire specs list it as weighing 2935g with standard battery, or 3035g with optional battery.

We aren't overweight but it doesn't leave much wiggle room to max load - only 165g, but that's EXTRA over and above what the current camera and gimbal weigh.

So, some wiggle room. I don't think additional lenses would be in the picture. You get built in glass and that's all you need for the use case.

This is VERY exciting news. Certainly be interested what they come up with, and I really hope its something that will be used with the Inspire. No reason why they cant rework the GH4 sensor in this as long as heat transfer is controlled well. The GM1 uses an m43 sensor that that is tiny. I think we could be in for a treat in the future!!!

Reactions: damoncooper

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melodee207