Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

DJI Matrice 200 Info Thread

Imagine the m210 capability in a Y-6 configuration foldable frame. Redundancy with a similar footprint and gobs of thrust to weight ratio for working in wind or crazy vortices found in various infrustructer. DJI would own the segment.

Yeah, this would be very cool. Over the last number of years we have built and flown a variety of coaxial copters - but never a Y6. It was always on the list, but we never built one up. The coax is is fantastic in the wind - and there are a number of them produced out there. DJI's flight controllers all support the configuration and the A3 even changed to the alternating prop rotations on the top and the bottom (it used to be that all the top spun one way and the bottoms the other way unless you did a custom motor mixer with it). Maybe they have one in the works - it would open a lot of options for people = especially payload in smaller footprints, wind resistance, redundancy, etc.

I agree - in fairness i bought it for the high end camera for high resolution mapping - and already have the 12mm Olympus, 17mm, 25 and 45mm also. I used them on my I1 Pro very successfully, so the idea for I2 was really about redundancy and newer tech.

Yeah, I really think you are in the right platform. The Inspire 2 is a great machine and will serve you well for a long time...as long as you can avoid the temptation of the next new shiny product release!

as long as you can avoid the temptation of the next new shiny product release!
Ive got that covered - we will need two in total so we have redundancy - so its either a M200 (which i do like the look or) or build our own RTK with auto image georeferencing. In testing I've managed to get 6cm accuracy straight through to the exif data on the jpg for less than $1400 so I'm pleased with that.

Is an 6 rotor a good option for wind resistance then - i thought they would be more unstable than an x8?

Ive got that covered - we will need two in total so we have redundancy - so its either a M200 (which i do like the look or) or build our own RTK with auto image georeferencing. In testing I've managed to get 6cm accuracy straight through to the exif data on the jpg for less than $1400 so I'm pleased with that.

Is an 6 rotor a good option for wind resistance then - i thought they would be more unstable than an x8?

I think it really depends on the copter and flight controller. We had a Freefly Alta since they were first released and did a side by side comparison to the M600. The M600 is the most stable copter I think I have ever flown in the wind at any weight. In 25+ mph winds the M600 is amazingly planted - both in its X/Y axis and the Z axis. It just does not move. The Alta 6 was not very stable at all. It flew extremely well in manual, but did not hold its height or position in a hover. In fact, I shipped a big Inspire 2 system to a client today that has an Alta 6, just bought an Alta 8, and we were talking about the stability of the Inspire 2 he would experience and he commented the same thing about the Alta. He was hovering in 20mph winds and the copter would vary in height from 10 feet and drop down to 5 feet. Both are flat hexacopters...but perform very differently.

In theory an X8 should hold fantastic in the wind - we have built them and proved this. But the X8 has always had an altitude hold issue while in forward flight. It happens with every flight controller we ever tried. So if you need to fly at a consistent height, the X8 has never gotten that quite right. It probably has something to do with the barometers and GPS height integration into the flight control loop - and should be able to be fixed with additional sensors or software changes, but its the one thing everyone who flies them complains about.

Reactions: EDDSkitz
In theory an X8 should hold fantastic in the wind - we have built them and proved this. But the X8 has always had an altitude hold issue while in forward flight. It happens with every flight controller we ever tried. So if you need to fly at a consistent height, the X8 has never gotten that quite right.
Something rather important in mapping!

Is that for both configurations such as single ring or rotors or double ring of rotors?

I have both of these birds. U figure that out, I am flying to Florida to check it out. I considered the Freefly very seriously but went we decided on the Matrice. Intelligent batteries are a must in my opinion when you have that much at stake.

Sent from my iPhone using InspirePilots
Are you using your drone to fly to Florida? LOL!

Something rather important in mapping!

Is that for both configurations such as single ring or rotors or double ring of rotors?

Yes, very important in mapping for sure. The coaxial configs we have tried always had one motor on the top of the boom and one motor on the bottom. We have never tried a dual shaft motor where you would have 2 props on the top (like the shotover U1 for example).

I have both of these birds. U figure that out, I am flying to Florida to check it out. I considered the Freefly very seriously but went we decided on the Matrice. Intelligent batteries are a must in my opinion when you have that much at stake.

Sent from my iPhone using InspirePilots

Talked to another guy who has tried this - X5R easily mounts to the top of the M600, but when powered on it comes alive briefly and then powers off. The Osmo firmware must tell it thats its OK to be upside down - and the M600 firmware must panic when the camera powers up inverted. I'll keep looking into this one...would love to make it work somehow.

Yes, very important in mapping for sure. The coaxial configs we have tried always had one motor on the top of the boom and one motor on the bottom. We have never tried a dual shaft motor where you would have 2 props on the top (like the shotover U1 for example).
Its very useful to know that- as i was thinking about an X8 as a second mapping unit - however I wonder if X6 would be a better option ?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool