Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

DJI Pilot crashing/slowing down/video lagging

We recently switched to iPad Minis for flight and camera control after suffering more and more frequent app crashes on Android devices. No problems since then (knock on wood). The Android devices were not high-end products, but worked just fine in cooler temps.

The iPads are brighter than the Androids as a bonus.

Thanks for finding out that information from DJI!

Alternatively, just downgrade from v1.2 to v1.1.2 if you have your v1.1.2 .ipa on your computer (or can get it there from a backup / Time Machine copy).

Use iTools to install it.

It solved all my v1.2-introduced woes on my iPad Mini 2.

Rumor has it the next version (v2.0) will have this stuff fixed. TBD, but backing off v1.2 for now is your best recourse if doing all the above still produces "Disconnect" screens of death mid flight, random no-signals etc.
Damon- so I tried using my other iPad mini 2 that still has the version 1.1.2 and it didn't help at all, may have even been worse for some reason. I'm literally yawing 180* and counting to 5 before the picture starts catching up and de-pixelating (of sorts)... By that time, I'm already turning again and it's a constant struggle to get orientated enough to use picture for direction, let alone record anything at all (a car went by why hovering and I had 6 tracers behind it, by the time it cleared car was gone)...

I found it does clear up about 50% better if I hard lose all apps, clear Safari cache/history, lower screen brightness down to about 30%(very hard to see even with sunshade IN the shade), manually turn off all apps that run in the background (ie. Weather, Apple Store, clock, Bluetooth, email, etc.), run in airplane mode, no wifi (as normal) and reboot iPad.

Are actually getting clear video again with version 1.1.2? Or was it a guess? Just curious...

OK, please don't shoot the messenger!......
I have now heard back officially from DJI and the problems with the Pilot app are known about and are being worked on.

Basically, DJI are working to optimise the code and put less of a loading on the tablet CPU whilst the app is running.
The Pilot app puts a huge strain on the processing muscle of every tablet out there - some fare better than others. The problems are being caused by thermal throttling of the processors cores after the app has been running for some time. This is why we virtually see zero problems on the first few minutes of flight etc and the issue is exacerbated when the ambient temp is high.

Some things to try to mitigate the problem (if your tablet/platform allows it)

1. Lower the apps frame rate in the tablets power management utility. (This will be on your tablet and NOT in the pilot app - some will allow it, some won't)
  2. Limit the CPU's speed to around 80% of max.
  3. Ensure all cores of the CPU are being utilised
  4. Turn off draw route in Pilot App
  5. Lower the bitrate in custom channel selection to minimum.
  6. Do not allow the tablet to become too hot (limit direct sunlight)
DJI are currently working on reducing the loading on the processor when the app is running and will continue to refine the code. This will (hopefully) produce better results for people come the next app release.

Like I said, I am not getting into the 'but my tablet never did it before' debate or 'why does my app only crash on a Thursday' etc as all of this is totally out of my control and I have no influence as to how DJI R&D will prioritise this.

I am purely the messenger. Give the above suggestions a try (if you can)
Peoples milage will vary.......

Thanks.
I use the inspire comercial and nearly daily. We don't have such problems but i miss readable informations on both remotes. The should develop two different apss, i think.

We might need a video tutorial on heat management of the different devices people use. I presently use a iPhone 5s. Wish the pilot app had the ability to communicate and manage the generating settings of tablets and phones. I use the iPhone with airplane mode on, then switch wifi back on. Battery guzzling blue tooth always off unless there is reason for it to be on.

We might need a video tutorial on heat management of the different devices people use. I presently use a iPhone 5s. Wish the pilot app had the ability to communicate and manage the generating settings of tablets and phones. I use the iPhone with airplane mode on, then switch wifi back on. Battery guzzling blue tooth always off unless there is reason for it to be on.
which are the best devices to use then?
my galaxy s4 active already switched off the app due to battery being to hot... not to mention freezing of video feed and other nice things :) that make it not possible to work normally...
any suggestions?

OK, well yesterday was scary. It was my first emergency use of RTH and thankfully it worked, but not before panic started to set in.

I was on my fourth identical flight of the day; same home point to same destination via the same route. Flights 1-3 were uneventful. On flight four I was just beginning the return leg when I started to get intermittent "Weak Transmission Signal" notices and the app began to get laggy and the picture and data were slowing down. It would go "green" for a bit and then repeat the problem. By now, I had lost visual contact with the AC and my only location reference was the app. It eventually stopped giving me data and picture updates altogether and even once went into "Photo mode" by itself (I was shooting video). I restarted the app with no change in behavior. I was beginning to consider restarting the tablet, when I became more concerned about my flight battery expiring (I had no battery info, no distance info, no altitude info, no heading info, no speed, no map, no nothing). It was at this point I initiated RTH and in less than 30 seconds, the bird was overhead. I took back manual control and landed safely. The battery was at around 21%. I like to be on the ground before it gets down to 30% just to give myself some margin.

Post flight examination of the footage on the SD card shows that the AC was under positive control all the time and also clearly shows when RTH was initiated. It was actually relatively close to me although I could not see it due to lighting and sky conditions. So in reality, there were likely no RC transmission issues, but just a buggy app that was getting worse over time.

I am running Pilot app v1.0.10 on an 8.4" Samsung Galaxy Tab S. I recently downgraded from version 1.2.0 in hopes that the older version was more stable but, although I did not get the dreaded full disconnect message, the results were the same. I now have no confidence whatsoever in the app performance and will have to keep the AC in visual contact at ALL times. I cannot afford to have it out of view even briefly. Oh yes, the downgrade also nuked all of my prior flight data; thanks DJI!

This was never an issue with my older P2/AVL-58 FPV system because it was analog and didn't rely on a tablet computer for all the fancy features. I love the new features that the tablet/phone afford, but if it is unreliable it is useless. At this point, I will have to strictly limit my flying range until (if) confidence is restored in the app. I will do some experimenting under controlled conditions with a separate HDMI monitor and see if it still works as an FPV viewer even if the app starts to lag or crashes. I doubt that it will, but testing will validate that. I will also try different Android platforms running v1.0.10 and see what changes (if any) there are.

IMO, this is an unacceptable situation. DJI needs to provide reliable code and app performance for its designs for not only practical but legal liability reasons as well. A buggy computer program running on a desktop obviously does not posses the kinetic energy of an over 6.5 pound flying machine capable of hitting 50 mph containing four 13" rotors spinning at 9,000 RPM.

OK, well yesterday was scary. It was my first emergency use of RTH and thankfully it worked, but not before panic started to set in.

I was on my fourth identical flight of the day; same home point to same destination via the same route. Flights 1-3 were uneventful. On flight four I was just beginning the return leg when I started to get intermittent "Weak Transmission Signal" notices and the app began to get laggy and the picture and data were slowing down. It would go "green" for a bit and then repeat the problem. By now, I had lost visual contact with the AC and my only location reference was the app. It eventually stopped giving me data and picture updates altogether and even once went into "Photo mode" by itself (I was shooting video). I restarted the app with no change in behavior. I was beginning to consider restarting the tablet, when I became more concerned about my flight battery expiring (I had no battery info, no distance info, no altitude info, no heading info, no speed, no map, no nothing). It was at this point I initiated RTH and in less than 30 seconds, the bird was overhead. I took back manual control and landed safely. The battery was at around 21%. I like to be on the ground before it gets down to 30% just to give myself some margin.

Post flight examination of the footage on the SD card shows that the AC was under positive control all the time and also clearly shows when RTH was initiated. It was actually relatively close to me although I could not see it due to lighting and sky conditions. So in reality, there were likely no RC transmission issues, but just a buggy app that was getting worse over time.

I am running Pilot app v1.0.10 on an 8.4" Samsung Galaxy Tab S. I recently downgraded from version 1.2.0 in hopes that the older version was more stable but, although I did not get the dreaded full disconnect message, the results were the same. I now have no confidence whatsoever in the app performance and will have to keep the AC in visual contact at ALL times. I cannot afford to have it out of view even briefly. Oh yes, the downgrade also nuked all of my prior flight data; thanks DJI!

This was never an issue with my older P2/AVL-58 FPV system because it was analog and didn't rely on a tablet computer for all the fancy features. I love the new features that the tablet/phone afford, but if it is unreliable it is useless. At this point, I will have to strictly limit my flying range until (if) confidence is restored in the app. I will do some experimenting under controlled conditions with a separate HDMI monitor and see if it still works as an FPV viewer even if the app starts to lag or crashes. I doubt that it will, but testing will validate that. I will also try different Android platforms running v1.0.10 and see what changes (if any) there are.

IMO, this is an unacceptable situation. DJI needs to provide reliable code and app performance for its designs for not only practical but legal liability reasons as well. A buggy computer program running on a desktop obviously does not posses the kinetic energy of an over 6.5 pound flying machine capable of hitting 50 mph containing four 13" rotors spinning at 9,000 RPM.
Dji don't give 2 bleeps
About any of us or our opinions
We just share info on this forum
Try getting use to ioc flight mode, along with Rth works for me when I loose los and the app freaks out.
Just an extra tool in your belt when a DJI flip flop occurs

Reactions: JamesSpringPilot
Editor: Any update from DJI on the app issue? I know that you requested initial "trouble reports" from folks using the latest version of the pilot app. When do you think we should start considering further action with DJI?

I recall a similar situation with the magnetic declination problem with the Phantom where we had one of the Phantom Pilots forum members (Ianwood) who had been in contact with DJI constantly reminding them that there were a lot of unhappy customers out there. DJI dragged their heels for months until a critical mass of users threatened to take further action and eventually a fix was forthcoming. This app problem is arguably worse than the P2 magnetic declination issue (which essentially caused poor heading response and TBE) because it effectively limits our range and potentially endangers our AC as well as the public. I'd be glad to help in any way possible, but I feel that we are nearing a time where we may need to turn up the heat on DJI.

Editor: Any update from DJI on the app issue? I know that you requested initial "trouble reports" from folks using the latest version of the pilot app. When do you think we should start considering further action with DJI?

I recall a similar situation with the magnetic declination problem with the Phantom where we had one of the Phantom Pilots forum members (Ianwood) who had been in contact with DJI constantly reminding them that there were a lot of unhappy customers out there. DJI dragged their heels for months until a critical mass of users threatened to take further action and eventually a fix was forthcoming. This app problem is arguably worse than the P2 magnetic declination issue (which essentially caused poor heading response and TBE) because it effectively limits our range and potentially endangers our AC as well as the public. I'd be glad to help in any way possible, but I feel that we are nearing a time where we may need to turn up the heat on DJI.

Understand your frustration - I have experienced the app restarting myself. However, since limiting the CPU frequency to 90% of max I have not had another problem. It is definitely a cpu throttling issue.
I have just come off DJI's R&D forum and I am waiting for an answer back from one of their techs:)

Sorry guys, dont forget I do NOT work or have any affiliation with DJI - I am merely one of the moderators on this forum - I have already raised this issue directly with the development guys....

Reactions: JeffreyRC
Thanks for your efforts Editor. I understand the need for your disclaimer and did not mean to imply that you had any connection to DJI other than being a customer like the rest of us. Can you tell me what device you are using to run the pilot app on? I am using a Samsung Galaxy Tab S and have not run across anything in the settings that allows me to limit the CPU's speed or throttle the processors in any way. Thanks!

I run the app on an Nvidia Shield which has the facility to alter app specific CPU speed (%), number of cores utilised and frame rate the app is allowed to use.
Because the app is so processor intensive it is pegging all tablets at full speed currently. The heat build up is stalling a lot of tablets and causing problems.
DJI are in the process of optimising the code but its not quite there yet!
In the meantime, try turning off route drawing and caching video locally (both selectable in the app).
I would hope to hear back from DJI tomorrow although I think it will be a case of waiting just a bit longer for the optimised app.

Reactions: RotoRanger
Thanks very much for the info. It is very helpful. I will try your suggestions and see if they have a positive effect while waiting for the re-coded version of the app. In the meantime, I'll pass this information along to my equally frustrated buddies who are using the Shield. Looking forward to whatever you have to report from DJI's latest response. :)

I also had problems with my Samsung Galaxy Tab S, after a Lollipop upgrade. See, http://www.inspirepilots.com/thread...ung-galaxy-tab-s-after-lollipop-upgrade.3703/

I've since moved to an iPad Mini 2 running Pilot App v1.2.0 and haven't had any issues (fingers crossed)!

I use a iPhone 5s and hope similarly that iPad Air 2 will handle app well. Problem is they will keep updating and enlarging the pilot app like they do with IOS and everything else, which will tax the latest tablet into its destined obsolescence.

I first noticed how hot the iPhone got in simulation mode, wow!

is it possible to adjust cpu usage on android lolipop? if yes how?
:)
Yes........and no! It is tablet specific.

I have currently been testing the app (v1.2.0) on an NVIDIA Shield with the CPU max frequency turned down to 90%. Happy to report no more glitches. :)

Reactions: mdomeny
I use a iPhone 5s and hope similarly that iPad Air 2 will handle app well. Problem is they will keep updating and enlarging the pilot app like they do with IOS and everything else, which will tax the latest tablet into its destined obsolescence.

I first noticed how hot the iPhone got in simulation mode, wow!
Its not so much the size of the app as more the efficiency of how the code has been written/optimized. DJI are aware of the problems and are working on optimisation.

Yes........and no! It is tablet specific.

I have currently been testing the app (v1.2.0) on an NVIDIA Shield with the CPU max frequency turned down to 90%. Happy to report no more glitches. :)
is it possible to adjust that in lolipop? on my phone? galaxy s4 active... do i have to root?

is it possible to adjust that in lolipop? on my phone? galaxy s4 active... do i have to root?
Am not sure if it is an option on the Galaxy. On the Shield it is within the 'Power Control' section which allows you to customise the battery drain either at platform level or app specific.
It allows control of number of CPU cores used
Max frequency of CPU
Frame rate the app is allowed to use.
As well as all the usual, screen brightness power saving options etc.
Have a dig around in the power control/battery saving options of the Galaxy to see if there is anything there.

Reactions: mdomeny
Am not sure if it is an option on the Galaxy. On the Shield it is within the 'Power Control' section which allows you to customise the battery drain either at platform level or app specific.
It allows control of number of CPU cores used
Max frequency of CPU
Frame rate the app is allowed to use.
As well as all the usual, screen brightness power saving options etc.
Have a dig around in the power control/battery saving options of the Galaxy to see if there is anything there.
hi Editor,
thank you for the info. i did find something regarding power and cpu /gpu use... i altered what i thought would be it and will test it as soon as there will not be 40C° in the shade... it is just to hot to be outside...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cruzamikayla