Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

DJI Pilot crashing/slowing down/video lagging

:eek:if i pick the iPadAir2 get only 9.7 inches diagonal.
...no way,
| |
'Please .....I'm going to miss the 12.2 inches on the note...
and enthusiasts must see over your shoulder too, :rolleyes:
just get a 50+inch 4K tv, install an inverter in your vehicle and use the hdmi port output for video feed, heh

EDIT: Guess you dont really need 4k as it only outputs 720p but then you can also use it to watch the video you just took :D

the nvidia shield seems to be the android tablet of choice with the best specs. personally i use my galaxy note 4 phone which is problem free until the second or third battery if its really hot out. I cringe at the thought of having to downgrade to an apple device.
Did have the same thoughts but in my eyes there are too many things I don't like at the Apple stuff.
Right now I can downlaod the app and save it.After that I install it and so I don't have to connect to the internet.With this I don't have the message that I have to upgrade.I only use the tablet for the Inspire and nothing else.Very easy to downgrade in this way.With Apple you must be connected to the internet to get the app

Reactions: SultanGris
Did have the same thoughts but in my eyes there are too many things I don't like at the Apple stuff.
Right now I can downlaod the app and save it.After that I install it and so I don't have to connect to the internet.With this I don't have the message that I have to upgrade.I only use the tablet for the Inspire and nothing else.Very easy to downgrade in this way.With Apple you must be connected to the internet t get the app
Yup, android is superior in almost every way if you get a top end tablet. Apple has the same problems anyway if its hot outside and you fly for a while so honestly it doesnt really matter what you use if you live where its hot and fly multiple batteries at once.

Reactions: hakaniniman
I wanted to buy a Sony Z4 tablet but was shocked by the crap quality of the display as well as the plasticy around. This tablet is just a mirror. I never was Apple friend but the display of the ipad Air2 is so much better. Unfortunately DJI cannot keep up with the open source android so I really consider buying an ipad.

I wanted to buy a Sony Z4 tablet but was shocked by the crap quality of the display as well as the plasticy around. This tablet is just a mirror. I never was Apple friend but the display of the ipad Air2 is so much better. Unfortunately DJI cannot keep up with the open source android so I really consider buying an ipad.
Try to get the Z3 and it's much better.

if you are kind. ...
you seem to be this kind of guy like me, let me prove my point. ..

I forgot to ask if you can kindly push the *heat* onto the fruity processor.
I mean.( ..As fly with everything on, despite the moderator/nvidia/80% fórmula).
Push the processor on the ipad max out....
I ignore your weather/temperature condition.
But you seem to suffer from internal heat processor malfunction...Due to the app pushing hard on any processor after several flights, air time ...scolding the inner cores to cool of, and also influenced by sun/external heat.
....electrical devices must work fine around 40°centigrade.
Sunny hot conditions, as you can tell...when we're outdoors. .. seems to me like:

• pre heated external conditions for the ipad (car or sun for a lapse)
  • all working inside, heating to a working degree the processor... (video editor, running apps, etc)
  • many air time, 30+ continuos air time and handling many different shots or changing views for the screen to force high rate refreshing and the processor to elaborate, both on image and statistics (recording video/streaming, etc)
  • all maxed out, in terms of image quality flight and lag conditions
o_O no problem under such conditions with the apple thingy?
Can you rely 100%

....if I'm deciding on the new tool, i willingly pre heat the ipad, to a safe logical working under the sun temperature, with a hair dryer...around 40 celcius....then max out the processor and force the app to the max, probably not with an actual fly, but with a frien moving the aircraft around, far away, to simulate the changing screen and imagecomposition, to heat up and pushing the app to the max, .....if ANY lag appear, it's the first hint of the processor /core to maxed out...and soon to snap.
...at least this is OUR experience with the android based tablets.
:) *preetty please*
Can you simulate this hard condittions somehow?
I'm sure you need to rely on thumbs up...For the fruity thing, or any other tablet.
not sure if pushed to the limit, ipad will stay cool and no lag/crash.
I'm asking for a particular fellow to push the ipad to the same harsh condition under the sun, heavy processor use and get any lag impression, and i will follow youre lead as you can tell us if no hard conditions affecr the ipad .... Hard work is to push the limits.
But I'm incline to (bird landed/no props), send her away to be moved around, messing with telemetry and image change as much is i can, for at least 20 minutes, (as with no engine running, the I1 will run for 30+minutes), and check the inner core temperature with a different app, to test the ipad, on extreme heat (preheated ipad with hairdryer) to a user friendly 40 degrees, and then if no lags....
;) gimme a buzz to unground my bird, via the ipad...any of them.
o_Oasking for too much, see?
But I'm positively sure, you need to know that too.
...is this app/tablet mix the one i should rely on?
from the most isolated place on earth...with a grounded INSPIRE1, thank you
My apologies for the delayed reply, but this has been an extremely busy week for me at work and I am only now getting around to the Inspire forum.

I would like to be able to help you with the testing and will do as much of it as I can both to help you and for my own purposes, but with the recent release of the new Pilot app for iOS AND the release of the new firmware for the aircraft, gimbal, motors, RCs, and batteries, I have a lot of updating and test flying to do before I can get back to operational issues. On top of that, I'm testing with 3 different iOS devices, an iPad Mini2, an iPad Mini3, and an iPad Air2. So, please be patient with me. I want to help you out as much as I can.:)

OK, please don't shoot the messenger!......
I have now heard back officially from DJI and the problems with the Pilot app are known about and are being worked on.

Basically, DJI are working to optimise the code and put less of a loading on the tablet CPU whilst the app is running.
The Pilot app puts a huge strain on the processing muscle of every tablet out there - some fare better than others. The problems are being caused by thermal throttling of the processors cores after the app has been running for some time. This is why we virtually see zero problems on the first few minutes of flight etc and the issue is exacerbated when the ambient temp is high.

Some things to try to mitigate the problem (if your tablet/platform allows it)

1. Lower the apps frame rate in the tablets power management utility. (This will be on your tablet and NOT in the pilot app - some will allow it, some won't)
  2. Limit the CPU's speed to around 80% of max.
  3. Ensure all cores of the CPU are being utilised
  4. Turn off draw route in Pilot App
  5. Lower the bitrate in custom channel selection to minimum.
  6. Do not allow the tablet to become too hot (limit direct sunlight)
DJI are currently working on reducing the loading on the processor when the app is running and will continue to refine the code. This will (hopefully) produce better results for people come the next app release.

Like I said, I am not getting into the 'but my tablet never did it before' debate or 'why does my app only crash on a Thursday' etc as all of this is totally out of my control and I have no influence as to how DJI R&D will prioritise this.

I am purely the messenger. Give the above suggestions a try (if you can)
Peoples milage will vary.......

Thanks.
Hi I have been grounded with a usb hub failure which I have since replaced myself instead of waiting weeks for repair, after base lining the RC and AC and updating successfully through succession to 1.6 ,but since have ridiculous amounts of lag of more than 7 seconds with heavy pixelation even on recording, frustration is now on a new level as I now have to break commitments as I cannot film as intended for a wedding this week, can anyone help !

I have a curious information on crashes in the image.

At about two months began to freeze my image in the mini ipad 2. I tried all possible configurations and did not improve at all. Saturday I decided to open the "nose" to see if there were any loose cable or something. There was nothing loose, just looked and closed. When I tested again magically no longer had any lag.

Yesterday flew and went to 1.5km away and not frozen. I do not know what happened! Just did this and gave no lag.

video lag is usually due to a slow processor, either from a cheap device, too many apps running in background, or overheating which slows down the processor to cool it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GroverBaez