Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

DJI repair - scam??

Reaction score
Hello all, looking for feed back on a repair estimate, I have a I2, with the X5S, with a "Camera Sensor Error", (bought Dec 2019) and I have flown it maybe 4 times since purchased - (I've been in a battle with cancer so with the current pandemic I don't get out often)...- note, all functions of the craft work fine, full flight control and full control of the camera movements, FPV camera works fine, just no picture from the X5S...I replaced the vibration absorbing board just to rule that out, yet I still had the same "Camera Sensor" error and no picture. So the camera was sent back under warranty , TWICE - 1st time it came back with the same exact issue, 2nd time it came back and I had a very grainy picture that froze in about 5 seconds, a reboot and other checks of contacts etc and the picture again did the same grainy view for about 5 seconds and froze...another reboot and then nothing, no picture at all, but now there was an added error of "hardware malfunction"... a call to DJI and it was decided to send in the I2 and camera...so today I see the email, DJI is stating they want to replace the following - "Middle Frame Module" (screw mandrel included), Main Controller Module, and Gimbal Vibration Absorbing Board & Cable, so basically just under 1200 dollars...to the many well seasoned vets out there...do these item seem feasible to be bad if the craft functions just fine, landing gear works just fine, flies just fine, FPV camera works fine, full control of all camera movements (pan tilt) and the go 4 app sows the gimbal as "Normal" , just simply no picture from the x5S...$1200 seems is a tough pill to swallow to say the least!!...thank you so much in advance for any input - Sacramento CA.

Hello all, looking for feed back on a repair estimate, I have a I2, with the X5S, with a "Camera Sensor Error", (bought Dec 2019) and I have flown it maybe 4 times since purchased - (I've been in a battle with cancer so with the current pandemic I don't get out often)...- note, all functions of the craft work fine, full flight control and full control of the camera movements, FPV camera works fine, just no picture from the X5S...I replaced the vibration absorbing board just to rule that out, yet I still had the same "Camera Sensor" error and no picture. So the camera was sent back under warranty , TWICE - 1st time it came back with the same exact issue, 2nd time it came back and I had a very grainy picture that froze in about 5 seconds, a reboot and other checks of contacts etc and the picture again did the same grainy view for about 5 seconds and froze...another reboot and then nothing, no picture at all, but now there was an added error of "hardware malfunction"... a call to DJI and it was decided to send in the I2 and camera...so today I see the email, DJI is stating they want to replace the following - "Middle Frame Module" (screw mandrel included), Main Controller Module, and Gimbal Vibration Absorbing Board & Cable, so basically just under 1200 dollars...to the many well seasoned vets out there...do these item seem feasible to be bad if the craft functions just fine, landing gear works just fine, flies just fine, FPV camera works fine, full control of all camera movements (pan tilt) and the go 4 app sows the gimbal as "Normal" , just simply no picture from the x5S...$1200 seems is a tough pill to swallow to say the least!!...thank you so much in advance for any input - Sacramento CA.
That does seem a bit excessive.

I'm confused though. if you bought it new in Dec 2019 then isn't it still under the 1 year factory warranty? If so then why are they charging you anything at all? This was not due to a crash, correct?

If it is still under warranty and there was no crash then it should be covered.

If you cannot get warranty service, I would recommend sending it to a different reputable dealer. You can try DJI Drone Service who is a sponsor on these forums and they give great service. They charge you nothing for taking a look at it and giving you a quote. You can even call them first and give them the information from DJI to see what their technicians think.

Reactions: Starz
I knew that they would want to replace the Middle Frame Module. That pretty solves most issues. Interestingly enough, I two separate repairs (neither had anything to do with the other) and both times they wanted to replace the Middle Frame Module. The first repair, I let them, the second one, I didn't. Came back working fine.

That’s pretty much standard price for damage to the cinecore module.
Should be covered by warranty but the company claims that damage voids it.
Ask for a discount, because it should be covered.
Also after repair you can purchase care refresh, which will repair or replace your damaged drone.

That does seem a bit excessive.

I'm confused though. if you bought it new in Dec 2019 then isn't it still under the 1 year factory warranty? If so then why are they charging you anything at all? This was not due to a crash, correct?

If it is still under warranty and there was no crash then it should be covered.

If you cannot get warranty service, I would recommend sending it to a different reputable dealer. You can try DJI Drone Service who is a sponsor on these forums and they give great service. They charge you nothing for taking a look at it and giving you a quote. You can even call them first and give them the information from DJI to see what their technicians think.
Thank you for the reply, I think the issue is I replaced the vibration absorbing board myself after the camera came back with the same exact issue, as some had mentioned that can sometimes cause the "camera sensor error"...and it's not that hard to replace the dam thing...i'm still thinking its camera related or why would i have a grainy picture after it came back the second time, and no, it hasn't crashed, i expected some push back for the replacement of the board, but I was not expecting 1200 dollars worth of pushback..

That’s pretty much standard price for damage to the cinecore module.
Should be covered by warranty but the company claims that damage voids it.
Ask for a discount, because it should be covered.
Also after repair you can purchase care refresh, which will repair or replace your damaged drone.
Thanks. I'm thinking that's gonna be a "must do" if this thing is gonna be a problem child, less than 30 minutes flight time on it and going on five weeks to get it fixed

Good luck Ray , I have nothing but good things to say about the DJI repair center I sent my Inspire into. $1200 is a bit steep . I would probably part it out and sell if DJI wanted that much . But thats me , i'm cheap .

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fivafi