Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

DJI's AeroScope

MGS

Reaction score
Website
mojavegeospatialsolutions.com
"DJI recently unveiled AeroScope, a new portable tracking system that can identify a DJI drone’s basic information in real time. This security system can pinpoint DJI drones within 3.1 miles. It tracks UAVs even if they are offline. It can reveal information such as the drone’s registration number and flight data. AeroScope has been regarded by DJI as a balanced solution to address security and privacy concerns."

Link to Article

Thoughts...

The question is does it violate any aspects of the owner's personal privacy with respect to your personal information given to a private company and then that information is then given to another organization.

I will take this, if they do not allow local municipalities and local government to create their own regulations and laws in associated with drone use.

Well that’s one way to chase away customers. Lol. I’m not so worried about drones flying around than I am of the unidentified helicopter that thinks it’s cool to fly 300 feet agl or less over my house on a regular basis. Usually in the dark.

Kiss all military contracts goodbye. Nice going DJI. The Alta 8 is looking better and better every day.

Well that’s one way to chase away customers. Lol. I’m not so worried about drones flying around than I am of the unidentified helicopter that thinks it’s cool to fly 300 feet agl or less over my house on a regular basis. Usually in the dark.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Guys this is nothing new, a company called department 13 has been selling a unit that can do this sice 2016 for all makes called the Mesmer, that includes 3dr and Yuneec.

Wireless radio systems including FHSS are not secure and to make an understatement KF who works for D13 is a talented hacker and has been working on this stuff for a long time, DJI has just developed their own version of this for specific entity’s like airports and governments but it was already out there, the guys at Dept 13 can locate and force control on all the systems so nothing is safe and secure.

If your worried about your UAS not being tracked or secure then I suggest you stop flying regardless of make all together.

Last edited:
What I’m saying is there is massive amounts of investment and time being put into counter UAS solutions, hacking groups reverse engineering hardware and software as well as large labs dissecting custom silicone, DJI Aeroscope is one tiny part of what’s going on here and to just say DJI is bad for making this is crazy as it already exists from 3rd party vendors.

Your not secure in the sense then all the current radio system links are compromised and it very likely will continue to be so for some time yet.

Reactions: MGS
Guys this is nothing new, a company called department 13 has been selling a unit that can do this sice 2016 for all makes called the Mesmer, that includes 3dr and Yuneec.

Wireless radio systems including FHSS are not secure and to make an understatement KF who works for D13 is a talented hacker and has been working on this stuff for a long time, DJI has just developed their own version of this for specific entity’s like airports and governments but it was already out there, the guys at Dept 13 can locate and force control on all the systems so nothing is safe and secure.

If your worried about your UAS not being tracked or secure then I suggest you stop flying regardless of make all together.

Not really the same thing. The above can only intercept the radio link between the controller and the UAV IF the UAV is in flight. The AeroScope system can identify a DJI UAV even if it is offline and not in flight. As long as it is powered on the AeroScope can identify the DJI UAV along with all personal user registration information DJI has in their corporate databases.

Reactions: MGS
Not really the same thing. The above can only intercept the radio link between the controller and the UAV IF the UAV is in flight. The AeroScope system can identify a DJI UAV even if it is offline and not in flight. As long as it is powered on the AeroScope can identify the DJI UAV along with all personal user registration information DJI has in their corporate databases.
I agree, what makes Aeroscope such an issue is that DJI has a customer database and is willing to turn it over without any type of oversight.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wild2Game