Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

DNG comes with LUT Attached???

Reaction score
Hi guys a weird DJI again issue is happening ... I was shooting a TV series yesterday and at the end of the they we realized that DNG image was not really RAW or plain as it should ....It has contrast, sharpness and other stuff so it looks like it has LUT applied already.
How can this could happened? is there any way to fix this? i mean not in post ....
Thanks in advance

Are you shooting photos or video?

If video, are you looking at footage from the SD or SSD?

Forgive the photos instead of screen shots.

In the left column, find the SSD Looks option. In the first photo, it is DLog. In the second photo, it is Rec.709.

You want this to be DLog, so that no LUT is applied. I am guessing it is set to Rec.709, in which case a LUT is applied.

There is a similar option on the right, titled SD/Liveview Looks. You definitely want this set to Rec.709, so that the image you see on your monitor while flying is corrected, so that you can get the exposure right.

Please let me know if this doesn't solve your problem.

rec709-1.jpg rec709-2.jpg

Reactions: Donnie Frank
I do not have a CinemaDNG license.

But this screen demonstrates that is is possible to apply a built-in LUT to SSD footage. Perhaps the same setting applies to CinemaDNG.

Ah. Actually in DNG Raw your only choices are "Normal" and "EI" and franky (in my oppinion) there is no decerable diffence. Which, makes sense as DNG Raw is in fact RAW and RAW is RAW. it's just a color space diffence if I understand it correctly. You advice on the other side how ever is spot on for the SD/Likeview Looks.

Pepetico there is a very unique way of using RAW in Davinci and the ungraded footage will never look as washed out as LOG unless you first applie a "RAW to LOG" LUT before starting your typical LOG workflow

Raw is raw and by definition doesn't have any LUT baked in at the capture stage so long as you're recording in DNG. Can I suggest three sources that helped me get gradable footage from the X7:

1. There is an obscure but official DJI workflow sheet that shows you how to achieve D-Log by shooting in EI mode, converting the Rec.709 footage to Linear, expanding the Exposure to 1.4x, then using the Linear to D-Log LUT to achieve the flat Log footage you're expecting.
https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/zen..._to_D-Log_LUT_User_Instruction_DaVinci_EN.pdf

2. This blog post gives some helpful settings tips: Heliguy's Guide to DJI D-LOG | Heliguy

3. There is an amazing video by colorist Juan Melara that shows his Resolve CinemaDNG workflow for maximizing dynamic range and preserving gamuts using Blackmagic Ursa footage. All this applies to the DJI X7 Cinema DNG footage as well. He uses the Color Space Transform effect to switch the input gamma to linear, and the output gamma to Arri Log C which is a larger gamut designed to handle more stops of D range than the X7 has, so there should be less clipping and compression of highs and lows.

Reactions: marctronixx
Forgive the photos instead of screen shots.

In the left column, find the SSD Looks option. In the first photo, it is DLog. In the second photo, it is Rec.709.

You want this to be DLog, so that no LUT is applied. I am guessing it is set to Rec.709, in which case a LUT is applied.

There is a similar option on the right, titled SD/Liveview Looks. You definitely want this set to Rec.709, so that the image you see on your monitor while flying is corrected, so that you can get the exposure right.

Please let me know if this doesn't solve your problem.

View attachment 21815 View attachment 21814
Yep, i think thats for ProRes mate ! Thanks anyways, bytheway, ProRess only let me une Normal or Cinelike, there is no D Log for Proress??

Thanks guys, i will do some more research but it would be nice to have real DNG footage from the drone directly and not have to mess with davinchi and stuff to wash it out .. before i did the upgrade DNG was real RAW.
Also, did you notice that Proress 4444 only has Cinelike as color profile? no D Log??
Thanks

After the firmware upgrade I'm having the same issue. Shooting on cinemadng on the x9 all dng's from the video folder files are baked to 709 when previewing them instead of showing them washed out straight forward. Also on the option that lets you baked the files with the 709 lut its marked to dlog and still are baked to 709.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adidasCampusShoes