Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

DNG from I1 - Hot Pixels in Aperture

I just purchased an Inspire 1 today and took a few stills and video while at the dealer. I brought it home and imported the DNG files into Lightroom and saw hundreds of hot pixels immediately. I have had 1 or 2 hot or dead pixels over the past 10 years of owning my different Canon 5D models but have never seen hundreds like this. A few are easily remedied but I'm not sure what to do with these. I didn't shoot any JPEGs today so I can't compare but I'd hate to have to only shoot JPEGS to avoid this issue. I am using an iMac but I'm not using Aperture. I am currently using Lightroom 4.1. I'm attaching a crop of the sky from one of the 4 photos. I immediately searched to see if anyone else has had the same issue and found this thread. I also have an older version of Capture One that I'll try tomorrow.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2015-01-16 at 1.33.43 AM.png
    Screen shot 2015-01-16 at 1.33.43 AM.png
    749.4 KB · Views: 29
Hi Silvertone,

For your information, it might be worth doing the test with a later version of Adobe Lightroom.

I'm using Adobe Lightroom 5.6 with Adobe Camera Raw 8.6. If you upload your DNG to the cloud (Dropbox, Live, Google Drive) I could try it on my version of Lightroom and see if I can pick out artefacts.

The issue may be how the DNG file is read by older versions of the software.

Last edited:
Hi Silvertone,

For your information, it might be worth doing the test with a later version of Adobe Lightroom.

I'm using Adobe Lightroom 5.6 with Adobe Camera Raw 8.6. If you upload your DNG to the cloud (Dropbox, Live, Google Drive) I could try it on my version of Lightroom and see if I can pick out artefacts.

The issue may be how the DNG file is read by older versions of the software.

Thanks for posting some ideas. I do have Adobe Creative Cloud so I have access to the newest versions of LR and ACR and I wish I could try that but I have an older OS so it will not let me install the newest versions.

I did however download the DNG files from this site http://www.visual-aerials.com/dji-inspire-1.html and opened them in Lightroom and exported them as JPEGS and they looked great so I really wasn't expecting to see what I saw tonight when I imported the photos I took today when I picked mine up.

Would you mind if I sent you two files via wetransfer for you to try in LR 5?

Would you mind if I sent you two files via wetransfer for you to try in LR 5?

Sure post them up and I'll report back on what I see.

If you prefer, you could send the links to me by Private Message (they call it a 'Conversation' on this board) if you didn't want to post the photos publically.

Adobe's raw processing software (Photoshop/Camera Raw & Lightroom) has a feature that automatically patches hot/dead/stuck pixels, which is why you are not seeing these sensor defects in Adobe software.

Nearly every camera sensor has these kinds of defects. Most camera makers patch them before writing the raw file to disk. DJI is letting the raw processing software patch the defects. This works fine with Adobe's raw processing software, but not with Apple raw processing software.

[Disclaimer - I work for Adobe]

Adobe's raw processing software (Photoshop/Camera Raw & Lightroom) has a feature that automatically patches hot/dead/stuck pixels, which is why you are not seeing these sensor defects in Adobe software.

Nearly every camera sensor has these kinds of defects. Most camera makers patch them before writing the raw file to disk. DJI is letting the raw processing software patch the defects. This works fine with Adobe's raw processing software, but not with Apple raw processing software.

I'm not sure about others but I am seeing the same hot or dead pixels in ACR as I am in Lightroom.

Thanks Thomas Knoll. Just curious, for Lightroom to 'repair' the DNG file does that mean the DNGs contain a mapping of faulty pixels?

I find it a bit concerning that we're literally seeing hundreds, maybe thousands of faulty pixels and sub pixels. This image is a 200% crop of an image.

Shot%202%20Aperture.png

That image is only a small part of the full frame.

I have sample DNG from a pre-production Inspire 1 that do not show (only eye ball check) faulty pixels in Aperture.

I wonder about the manufacturing tolerance for the Inspire 1's camera sensor when it comes to faulty pixels?

I'm not sure about others but I am seeing the same hot or dead pixels in ACR as I am in Lightroom.

Hi silvertoner,

Sent you a message. From the images I viewed from you, I do not see the faulty pixels in Lightroom 5.6, but I do in Aperture/Preview. What I see have been sent to you as a separate message.

I'm starting to suspect that the faulty pixel mapping functionality is not working in Lightroom 4, perhaps this question could be answered by Thomas Knoll (as he works for Adobe)?

Reactions: lrwskyfilms
As above, I used fastStone and could see the dotted pixels everywhere, a friend put me onto Lightroom 5.6 and they're gone. Wohoo party. :)

That's kind of like Tim Cook saying "I work for Apple." ;)

Wow, Thomas Knoll posting on this thread! Big fan of your product. Honored by your presence, and thanks for the explanation.

I flew my I1 for the first time yesterday and just got around to downloading some stills. I took JPGs and DNGs and then imported them into Aperture. I noticed the DNG files have hot pixels while the JPGs do not (see attached samples).

I also opened the DNG file in Photoshop Elements and the DNG file did NOT have the hot pixels so I am going to assume this is an Aperture problem.

DNG files are not acceptable files for upload on this site so I can't share an original.

Just an FYI for Aperture users. I may need to move to Photoshop sooner than I hoped . . . I have sent feedback to Apple via Aperture but it might help get support for the I1's camera if more than one of us did that . . .
I believe (based on my professional graphics experience) that you will find Photoshop far and away better than Aperture.

Are you THE Thomas Knoll who has been at the forefront of developing Photoshop over the past couple of decades? Thanks of your contribution here - we can all learn a lot from you about imaging and image processing.

I just spent the evening updating my OS to Yosemite so that I could download the newest version of Lightroom since I have Adobe Creative Cloud. The first thing I did was import my Inspire 1 DNG files hoping that the problem would be remedied and it looks exactly the same as they did in Lightroom 4. I must have a faulty camera on my Inspire 1. There are literally thousands of "hot" pixels on these files.

I just spent the evening updating my OS to Yosemite so that I could download the newest version of Lightroom since I have Adobe Creative Cloud. The first thing I did was import my Inspire 1 DNG files hoping that the problem would be remedied and it looks exactly the same as they did in Lightroom 4. I must have a faulty camera on my Inspire 1. There are literally thousands of "hot" pixels on these files.

I have just checked a few of my DNG's in LR 5.7 and at 4:1 magnification I can not find any dead/blown/stuck pixels. None, even in areas of few details, like bare walls, blue sky, etc. Since you're using CC and LR and that's what I use as well, I definitely think there is an issue with your camera, or possibly the card that you're recording media with. Simple test, try another card. If that doesn't work, I think it might be time to talk to DJI Support.

I believe (based on my professional graphics experience) that you will find Photoshop far and away better than Aperture.
Thanks - I'm going to look into CC. I've been using Aperture for 6 years now and FCPX for a year or so and they currently meets my needs. I am aware that Apple is going to replace Aperture and iPhoto with some consolidated program so I might wait until that comes out to see what it will be like. I'm just not looking forward the monthly subscription and learning curve for the CC.
I shot some bracketed jpgs with the I1 yesterday for a local online news site and they turned out fine after being processed in Aperture. I do wish I could use the DNG option though for the extra flexibility. I shoot everything else in RAW . . .
2015-01-17-300 DPI Synergy Center and Tapestry Apartments-3.jpg

Reactions: DattaGroover

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop