Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Do I Put it in a Case or Not?

Florida Drone Supply

Approved Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.floridadronesupply.com
After buying your new drone, some extra batteries, a car charger and everything else you think you will need; we often get asked: “Is there anything else I should be getting” or “Is this styrofoam case going to be good enough”.

We think the answer largely depends on how you plan to use your new drone. If you are simply an occasional backyard flyer you might just put your drone on your hobby shelf or desk when your not using it and never even put it back in a case. If you constantly have it in and out of your car or put it on an airplane you definitely need to consider a good case. And if you don’t fit in either of those categories than you can consider the following and decide what is best for you.

Size and Style: Most drones have more than one case option. Inspire cases can be bought in landing mode or travel mode configuration, Phantom cases can be bought with and without wheels and some let you leave the props on, Mavic cases can be bought that hold many extra batteries (and some new ones will include a place for DJI Goggles), etc. Even the Spark has multiple case options.

Keep it Together: Because the standard cases that drones come with generally do not have a place for all your extra batteries, spare chargers, lenses, extra remote controllers or other accessories you might have - getting a different case can be a great way to keep everything you need together and help eliminate the chance of showing up to fly somewhere only to realize something you need did not make the trip with you.

Waterproof and Indestructible: You may never have the occasion to leave your case out on the rain or have someone accidentally drive over the top of it, but many case claim they can either be submerged in water or that they are practically indestructible (or at least capable of really taking some abuse). In our opinion this is simply summarized by keep your drone safe in most every situation. While the styrofoam case it probably arrived in will not just fall apart on you, when you close the lid on a good case you can not help but feel confident it is much more protected.

Specialty Items: Beyond just getting basic cases, we are seeing more and more clients opt for specialty items as well. They include backpack style cases and even cases made just for batteries. Battery cases are especially popular with people who use their drones in their businesses because they tend to have many extra batteries or may need to carry their batteries on board an airplane (because you can not check batteries).

If you have any questions about cases or want to talk about any of their options, give us a call at (855) 8-DRONES or click the link to see the cases we carry at Florida Drone Supply. We put all of our drones in GoProfessional cases and have had excellent results taking them on boats, pulling them through the sand and allowing them to be out in the sun as we demonstrate equipment to clients.

Fly Safe!

Cases

gpc-dji-insp2-btry-1.jpg gpc-dji-insp2-l-1a.jpg gpc-dji-inspire2-bp-1-b.jpg gpc-dji-mavic-1-hero.jpg gpc-dji-spark-1.jpg m200.jpg

I bought a case for my batteries props chargers and some other stuff from Amazon for 40$ had to cut it myself which wasn't a big deal but the Gpc landing mode case full with batteries is ridiculously heavy

Just curious, is there a case for an I1 with X5R that does NOT require the camera to be removed from the bird? I can't help to think that this removal each time is putting unnecessary wear on the connector ring (and contacts). Not only that, it would save time on location in not having to mount and dismount the camera.

Just curious, is there a case for an I1 with X5R that does NOT require the camera to be removed from the bird? I can't help to think that this removal each time is putting unnecessary wear on the connector ring (and contacts). Not only that, it would save time on location in not having to mount and dismount the camera.

Yes there is a landing mode case for the Inspire 1 using the X5R available. Let us know if you would like to get one coming for you. I believe the camera has to face backwards if using the X5R.

Reactions: Wolfiesden
Got any details my friend?

Turning the gimbal before dropping it into a case is not a problem in the least, nor is that at all time consuming.

Removing it, removing the SSD, capping the exposed contacts and packaging the X5R into the box, well, that is time consuming. I don't take the lenses off my DSLR when I put it in my pack. I think its silly to do a similar thing to the drone.

Last edited:
Nice. Curious. Why does it have photos with the X5R box there? If the camera stays attached, why would you need the empty box? Also, can you check that the nVidia Shield will fit the tablet slots?

My best thought would be that some people like to keep the X5R in a case vs leaving it on the I1. You could also carry a spare X5R or X5 in the box compartment. We have an older nVidia Shield 8.6 X 5 and it fits into the cutout on our I2 GPC case, GPC's description says it fits monitors up to 10"

Michael down at Florida Drone Supply hooked me up with a GPC Inspire 1 case after they got done with dealing with the hurricane and its aftermath.

Case came in yesterday and I got it packed last night after work.

Fits the I1v2 and X5R perfectly with only one caviat. The SSD has to be removed before putting it in the case. I would loose an accessory cavity if I trimmed the foam so the bird could go in with the SSD in place so I don't think that will be a good solution. I will have to figure out an easier place to store the SSD than inside the X5R box. Might have to cut a shallow slot in the foam to store it which would make it far more convenient than inside the camera box.

Michael down at Florida Drone Supply hooked me up with a GPC Inspire 1 case after they got done with dealing with the hurricane and its aftermath.

Case came in yesterday and I got it packed last night after work.

Fits the I1v2 and X5R perfectly with only one caviat. The SSD has to be removed before putting it in the case. I would loose an accessory cavity if I trimmed the foam so the bird could go in with the SSD in place so I don't think that will be a good solution. I will have to figure out an easier place to store the SSD than inside the X5R box. Might have to cut a shallow slot in the foam to store it which would make it far more convenient than inside the camera box.

We are glad to see you received your case and have it filled up already! Your idea of a little slot for the SSD card should be pretty easy to accomplish. Thanks again.

That's gorgeous, I want to go w/ a case similar and big enough to slide in my Osmo (when I order it from Michael!).

Hmm. Had not considered the osmo. I do have an osmo mobile. I may look at possibly leaving the x5 box out and see what if the Osmo will fit in that cavity. There is a storage spot under that box so there may be sufficient depth. May tinker this weekend.

I designed and 3D printed a tripod base for the Osmo:
44574218.29eb7e2e.1024.jpg

And I am pretty sure it will make the osmo too high. But its removable. I may redesign it so it can be inverted (turned upside down with the osmo in it) so its more compact for storage.

I like that tripod mount, is there anyway you can make me one that's a tripod adapter?

So a compression fitting to go around the handle (circular to wrap it) with a little kick off for a tripod adaptor? I can draw youa pciture if youd like.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adamwalker4963