Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Does cold weather really mean 8 minute flight time on a TB47?

Reaction score
I know its been cold this past few weeks and this does impact on how batteries function but I haven't been able to get over 9 minutes on a standard battery for weeks.

Is anyone else noticing this? The batteries in question are all between 6 months and a year old with varying amounts of flights.
I know it's the cold causing this but 8-9 minutes is very poor compared to their usual output.

Up here in Northern Maine we get VERY cold temperatures. About two weeks ago I flew in -15 degree weather and achieved about 15 minutes of flight. This was doing a grid mission using PixD4 software. 9 minutes to me seems quite a bit low...

Reactions: leeSenes
I know its been cold this past few weeks and this does impact on how batteries function but I haven't been able to get over 9 minutes on a standard battery for weeks.

Is anyone else noticing this? The batteries in question are all between 6 months and a year old with varying amounts of flights.
I know it's the cold causing this but 8-9 minutes is very poor compared to their usual output.
All depends what payload - what camera and what voltage are you flying down to until you land?

All depends what payload - what camera and what voltage are you flying down to until you land?
I have the settings set at 10% critical but I always try to hover above the ground until the battery hits 4% ( I don't do this 100% of the time but as often as possible).

Z3 is what I usually use unless a client requests something special. The Z3 is the only payload I've used throughout December and into January.

I do fly my Inspire quite a lot but I hoped I'd get at least a year out of each battery before they begin to "play up". It's got to be said though that since first buying the Inspire 1 in June 2015 I've not had 1 serious issue with it and 9 times out of 10 if there is an issue it turns out to have been my fault and easily fixed.

I have the settings set at 10% critical but I always try to hover above the ground until the battery hits 4% ( I don't do this 100% of the time but as often as possible).

Z3 is what I usually use unless a client requests something special. The Z3 is the only payload I've used throughout December and into January.

I do fly my Inspire quite a lot but I hoped I'd get at least a year out of each battery before they begin to "play up". It's got to be said though that since first buying the Inspire 1 in June 2015 I've not had 1 serious issue with it and 9 times out of 10 if there is an issue it turns out to have been my fault and easily fixed.
So are you regularly landing at around 10% (or between 4-10%)?

Yes your flight time is quite low especially with just the X3, I flew last week in 20F temps and still got 15min on my TB48's and about 12min on my TB47's with the X5 and DJI 15mm MFT lens. I have my warning at 30%, I only cycle when DJI Go tells me it's time.

Always lower than 10% 8 out of 10 times lower than 5%
Then I would guess that your packs are fairly abused if you regularly deplete them to those sort of dangerous levels.
Not only will your packs be pretty much worn out but you also run the risk of taking the lipos over the plateau where they will drop like a stone and go into low voltage cut off.
I never fly my packs below 3.4v per cell under load to allow for a rebound to circa 3.7v after rest.
I have my original TB47 from over two years use still in service and gives me between 12 and 13 minutes of flight time.
I'm afraid you have stressed your packs too much by taking them down to 5-10% every time!

The I would guess that your packs are fairly abused if you regularly deplete them to those sort of dangerous levels.
Not only will your packs be pretty much worn out bit you also run the risk of taking the lipos over the plateau where they will drop like a stone and go into low voltage cut off.
I never fly my packs below 3.4v per cell under load to allow for a rebound to circa 3.7v after rest.
I have my original TB47 from over two years use still in service and gives me between 12 and 13 minutes of flight time.
I'm afraid you have stressed your packs too much by taking them down to 5-10% every time!

Everyday is a school day! I thought I was doing the right thing by running them down. I'll be changing my routine in future.

Thanks for the advice I appreciate it

Take a screen shot and post it here of the battery condition when fully charged from the go app, show us that and we can give you a better answer.

Reactions: leeSenes
I'll be honest on my past couple of flights yes about 10 minutes in and my inspire is ready to land! I even get temperature warnings...

Sent from my iPhone using InspirePilots

I'll be honest on my past couple of flights yes about 10 minutes in and my inspire is ready to land! I even get temperature warnings...

Sent from my iPhone using InspirePilots
It's super important to preheat your batteries before flight in cold weather. I utilize a heating pad and get my batteries to about 90 degrees f. I get 17-20 minute flights times with X5R and no temp warning.

With the insulated stickers fitted to TB47 batteries in recent -3 ish conditions, I1 with X5, with first battery warning at 30% and landing around 20% I get on average 11 minutes. I keep the batteries warm in an insulated bag with a hot water bottle. Especially in the cold I would not be pushing battery limits too low.

Everyday is a school day! I thought I was doing the right thing by running them down. I'll be changing my routine in future.

Thanks for the advice I appreciate it
Only fly under 20% when needed and only fly 'till the app shows you have to fly you're battery status ask for it and then go under5%.
Like the Editor said you did worn out your battery.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnsmithp486