Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Does Drone Base pay?

Oh sure, except if you don't like being shot at or accosted by the police. You can't launch and land from private property. 50% of their listings are in *restricted airspace*. What could go wrong? Oh wait, you actually DO have a Part 107 license? Wanna lose it?

Reactions: Pescatoral Pursuit
Oh sure, except if you don't like being shot at or accosted by the police. You can't launch and land from private property. 50% of their listings are in *restricted airspace*. What could go wrong? Oh wait, you actually DO have a Part 107 license? Wanna lose it?
Wow...who invited Negative Nancy to the party? lol

I fly safely, have had no run-ins with police and I haven't been shot at since the Marine Corps.

No idea what you're talking about, dude.

Reactions: Lovenpain
No negative nancy here, I'm on DroneBase, but your experience must be different than my neck of the woods (greater NYC area). I have no doubt that you fly safely. But you legally cannot launch and land from private property in NY or NJ without the property owner's permission. DroneBase's response to this problem was "launch and land from a public easement" -- sensible enough. But in my area that's pretty much the middle of a highway or county road. No problem, right?

No negative nancy here, I'm on DroneBase, but your experience must be different than my neck of the woods (greater NYC area). I have no doubt that you fly safely. But you legally cannot launch and land from private property in NY or NJ without the property owner's permission. DroneBase's response to this problem was "launch and land from a public easement" -- sensible enough. But in my area that's pretty much the middle of a highway or county road. No problem, right?
No idea what "Bri Guy" is on about...

I'm in Phoenix...where do you expect to launch and recover from? People's back yards? I really don't know how you're doing this and having so much trouble. It's easy, man...

Plan 2-3 shots in close proximity.
Stop in parking lot, pull over roadside, whatever and launch.
Fly mission.
Return and recover in street/parking lot.
???
Profit.

I mean...it's that easy. Now, if you're in a densely populated area and can't do this, I get that. But broad-stroke condemnation of the entire platform, going so far as to insinuate pilots get shot at if they fly Drone Base missions, is disingenuous at best...

Reactions: DStew and Lovenpain
So, let's sort this out a little more clearly. DroneBase is providing "on-spec" drone flights for aerial pano photography. This means the owner of the property has no idea nor notification what's happening or what to expect. Hell, the listing REALTOR doesn't know, either. The drone operator (unless doing real due dilligence) has no idea if they're even legal to do so (property rights, airspace restrictions, TFRs, etc). Some random guy shows up, pulls out a drone and hovers for 4 minutes, packs up, and drives away. Then DroneBase's crack sales team hard-sells the Realtor or listing agency "Have we got GREAT footage for YOU!", then you pay the drone operator 20 cents on the dollar for taking all the risk of losing license, insurance, their drone in case of accident (hull damage), and all that goes along with it. Have I got that right, so far? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

No idea what "Bri Guy" is on about...

I'm in Phoenix...where do you expect to launch and recover from? People's back yards? I really don't know how you're doing this and having so much trouble. It's easy, man...

Plan 2-3 shots in close proximity.
Stop in parking lot, pull over roadside, whatever and launch.
Fly mission.
Return and recover in street/parking lot.
???
Profit.

I mean...it's that easy. Now, if you're in a densely populated area and can't do this, I get that. But broad-stroke condemnation of the entire platform, going so far as to insinuate pilots get shot at if they fly Drone Base missions, is disingenuous at best...

I'm not denigrating the platform (let alone condemning it). I think it could actually work well to the benefit of the RE (and other) industries if you guys could get your collective head out of your ***. I've been to Phoenix many times, and I love the weather and long drawn out spaces. This is a challenge on the East Coast where things are more stacked up. If it works for you in your area, more power to you. My main problem is your platform actually ENCOURAGES illegal behavior to the detriment of us "Boy Scouts" who actually practice and follow the rules (as silly as they may seem, sometimes).

You seem to be out to be negative for the sake of being negative.

A - Property owner doesn't need notification. Like I said, launch and recover from a public space...where the HELL are you wanting to fly, dude? I'm their living room? 99% of the time they have no clue I'm even there. You flying from their patio? No wonder they're getting butthurt about it!

B - I could care less about Drone Base's sales tactics. If the worst thing a person has to deal with throughout their day is someone wondering if they'd like to buy a picture, that ain't tea bag.

C - We get 38.78 cents on the dollar...which is a pretty friggin fair deal IMO.

If you detest Drone Base so, don't use it. Simple.

If you do use it, don't be an *** hat and you'll be fine. Simple.

As far as insurance, regulations, etc...stay away from airports, stay LoS, etc etc and, if you crash and suffer "hull damage" while HOVERING taking PICTURES, hang it up man. It's time to retire.

I'm not denigrating the platform (let alone condemning it). I think it could actually work well to the benefit of the RE (and other) industries if you guys could get your collective head out of your ***. I've been to Phoenix many times, and I love the weather and long drawn out spaces. This is a challenge on the East Coast where things are more stacked up. If it works for you in your area, more power to you. My main problem is your platform actually ENCOURAGES illegal behavior to the detriment of us "Boy Scouts" who actually practice and follow the rules (as silly as they may seem, sometimes).
Dude..."your collective head", "your platform"...my head is right where it belongs and, you must be mistaken. I don't own Drone Base.

Dunno. Don't live there.

Fair enough. Don't take this personally. I've had this conversation with DroneBase, suffice to say they should do a better job of filtering jobs that aren't blatantly illegal or dangerous or put the national aviation system at risk. But they just don't seem to give a **** as long as a 15 year old kid puts a drone up in front of a major airport's IFR low altitude approach to take some pictures and they get their 38.78% cut (hm, slip there, what mean "we", paleskin? Also, awfully precise number there). I'm not hating on DroneBase per-se, they (you) just need to fix their (your) **** so they (you) don't encourage behavior that might kill people. Sorry to be an Eagle Scout and harsh your positive buzz.

Reactions: DaveDotNet
Dude...it's the Internet. If anyone takes Internet **** personally, they're in for a bad time. Good convo, even if it didn't start out the best.

Anyway...that's a slippery slope, man. Most of the country is under some type of restrictive airspace...so, where do you draw the line? What is "blatantly illegal"? Is that better or worse than "sorta illegal"? Maybe not quite as bad as "painfully illegal"?

It all comes down to the pilot. Again...don't be an *** hat...fly smart. Sure, I've seen the missions over by Skyharbor and was like, "yea, good luck getting those done guys". Will someone fly them? Probably. Should they? Probably not. Can you fix stupid? Nope. It's our job as pilots to educate.

And, no matter what, Drone Base or not...stupid people will be stupid.

Regarding your map, yup...TONS of Class B around there. See attachment.

Looks like some flying could possibly be done here and there, maybe south Manhattan for instance (no idea where Central Park is...been a few years since I've been there) as that looks like it's only Class B from 1500 up...but ****. That ****'s crazy. lol One helluva map!! SUPER hard to read. I'd want the supplemental if I were in the area. That higher level map just looks like a mess!

Worse case scenario: If you wanna fly there and be uber-by the book, call the tower.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2017-03-17 at 10.42.00 PM.png
    Screenshot 2017-03-17 at 10.42.00 PM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 39
Reactions: William Gaddy
Fair enough. Don't take this personally. I've had this conversation with DroneBase, suffice to say they should do a better job of filtering jobs that aren't blatantly illegal or dangerous or put the national aviation system at risk. But they just don't seem to give a **** as long as a 15 year old kid puts a drone up in front of a major airport's IFR low altitude approach to take some pictures and they get their 38.78% cut (hm, slip there, what mean "we", paleskin? Also, awfully precise number there). I'm not hating on DroneBase per-se, they (you) just need to fix their (your) **** so they (you) don't encourage behavior that might kill people. Sorry to be an Eagle Scout and harsh your positive buzz.

And..."some 15 year old kid" shouldn't be doing it anyway.

"...and, in any event, must not be less than 18 years of age."
--Drone Base ToU

Dude...it's the Internet. If anyone takes Internet **** personally, they're in for a bad time. Good convo, even if it didn't start out the best.

Anyway...that's a slippery slope, man. Most of the country is under some type of restrictive airspace...so, where do you draw the line? What is "blatantly illegal"? Is that better or worse than "sorta illegal"? Maybe not quite as bad as "painfully illegal"?

It all comes down to the pilot. Again...don't be an *** hat...fly smart. Sure, I've seen the missions over by Skyharbor and was like, "yea, good luck getting those done guys". Will someone fly them? Probably. Should they? Probably not. Can you fix stupid? Nope. It's our job as pilots to educate.

Looks like some flying could possibly be done here and there, maybe south Manhattan for instance (no idea where Central Park is...been a few years since I've been there) as that looks like it's only Class B from 1500 up...but ****. That ****'s crazy. lol One helluva map!! SUPER hard to read. I'd want the supplemental if I were in the area. That higher level map just looks like a mess!

Worse case scenario: If you wanna fly there and be uber-by the book, call the tower.

My main point is that intermediary platforms that are dangling work for hungry pilots should be more careful. If they aren't, they can cause incidents which (whether real or pumped up by the Press, who is always looking for a drone-zombie-apocalypse story) can seriously set back our industry as a whole. Be a good citizen and don't endanger the airspace, or god forbid, arouse the strange passions of "privacy" of the public at-large. This will do NONE of us good.

If you want pure hell, procure a NY TAC chart. It's worse than you think... Helicopters. Lots of helicopters. How many drone folks have a two-way aviation radio? That's pretty much a requirement to get authorization. "Special Flight Rules Area"... that'll be a new one I'm sure :) Nevertheless, I'm not trying to be a troll, nor hate on DroneBase (like I said, they're great they just need to fix their ****). I'm just really a safety nerd. Also, I thank you for your service sir

...And by the way... Central Park is ACTUALLY possible. After you pay the City Film Permit, the City Park Film Permit, the NYS Film Permit, the NYS Park special use Permit (drones = e.g. pay the hourly of the officers needed to cordon off the area while you fly) and the usual under-the-table stuff (ever been on a film set?) and THEN wait 90 days for an FAA Class Bravo clearance... and you can understand why cowboys with a random Phantom 3 who don't follow the rules and just go "Derp, up we go!" irk some of us...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LewisuhaAbips