Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

UK Does the DJI App allow flight within R157

Reaction score
I have been given authority to fly within the London Restricted area (R157 - Hyde Park area) by NATS and also submitted, at their request, the necessary NOTAM. My requirements were very specific re height, time, LAT / LONG etc. and naturally had to provide evidence of PfAW (or is it now PfCO with the change of 'Aerial Work' to 'Commercial Operation'? in the latest IN-2016/073) and experiance as a professional operator.
With the update on the DJI Go app allowing the PIC to override the NFZ areas, the question I ask is: does that allow override on all NFZs or just near airports etc (R157 is more to do with national security than airports)?
Cheers and safe flying to all.

The only areas that the app will block now (if I remember correctly) without override (which is available now by confirming the questions in a popup window before flight) is Washington DC, nuclear power plants, military bases, and within 5 miles of all Major airports. This is the list if I remembered correctly. Hope that helps!!

-chris

Reactions: Mike Hulme
You should be fine.
DJI's approach to NFZ's do not appear to bare any logic to official air charts so they are a strange hybrid of AirMap and some peculiar areas that DJI deem no fly.
That being said they do not restrict AIAA's and EGD areas and R157/8 do not even make their radar! :rolleyes:

Reactions: Mike Hulme
The only areas that the app will block now (if I remember correctly) without override (which is available now by confirming the questions in a popup window before flight) is Washington DC, nuclear power plants, military bases, and within 5 miles of all Major airports. This is the list if I remembered correctly. Hope that helps!!

-chris
Cheers Chris - Appricate the fast response and details. Along with The Editor's answer I feel confident all will be well.

Mike

You should be fine.
DJI's approach to NFZ's do not appear to bare any logic to official air charts so they are a strange hybrid of AirMap and some peculiar areas that DJI deem no fly.
That being said they do not restrict AIAA's and EGD areas and R157/8 do not even make their radar! :rolleyes:
Many thanks for the detailed response - I will let you know via this means how I get on!
Mike

Hey Mike, How did the flight go? I have a flight in R157 (near BT Tower) coming up soon and wondered if you had any pearls of wisdom...!

It went well. had to film the V&A on Cromwell road. Note that you must call the Met (DPG) beforehand to get their authority. With R157 they have the final say (over and above NATS) due to diplomatic air movements etc. I flew first thing so had to call in the middle of the night (you cannot call more than 12 hours ahead). All the details are with the NATS authority you will recieve. So ultimately you cannot tell your 'customer' you have authority until the day of flight. Make sure you do the NOTAM also (you will recieve details re that also well in advance). Still an awsome experiance covering the Pink Floyd exhibition launch (live) - unfortunately had to sign all rights over to the company!

Reactions: ash223
No I was lucky! I had control over the central garden of the museum (sole access with security guards covering the entrenace doors) as I flew before it was open to the public. NATS gave authority to fly a certain distance from the garden which gave me enough angle at 300" to look down onto Cromwell road whilst still being 100+M from it. I was actually filming the flying pink pig (used in their advertising / marketing). As this was classed as flying in a 'private location' I did not to contact the local Borough film officers - however I am flying in controlled Londan airspace (but not Restricted) later this month and have had to speak with them. Look at the following link that may assist: Borough Film Services Contacts and also http://www.met.police.uk/filmunit/

Hope that helps and let me know how you get on.
Mike

No I was lucky! I had control over the central garden of the museum (sole access with security guards covering the entrenace doors) as I flew before it was open to the public. NATS gave authority to fly a certain distance from the garden which gave me enough angle at 300" to look down onto Cromwell road whilst still being 100+M from it. I was actually filming the flying pink pig (used in their advertising / marketing). As this was classed as flying in a 'private location' I did not to contact the local Borough film officers - however I am flying in controlled Londan airspace (but not Restricted) later this month and have had to speak with them. Look at the following link that may assist: Borough Film Services Contacts and also http://www.met.police.uk/filmunit/

Hope that helps and let me know how you get on.
Mike
Have moved this to the Certified UAV section and added a UK prefix as it makes more sense for it to live here. :)

Thanks Ed - Yep makes sense. It was a very usful excersise to fly in central London and jump the hoops placed before you. However I must say all I came into contact with were positive. 'How can we make this work' as opposed to 'How can we stop him'. Operators should be confident to liase with authorities.

Mike

Thanks Ed - Yep makes sense. It was a very usful excersise to fly in central London and jump the hoops placed before you. However I must say all I came into contact with were positive. 'How can we make this work' as opposed to 'How can we stop him'. Operators should be confident to liase with authorities.

Mike
Yup - I've never had a bad experience with any of the 'red tape' brigade. As long as you keep it professional then I don't think there are too many brick walls.
It's not really us guys that are the issue, it's more the Mavic long distance flight wannabes that think the rules are there for no reason and they don't apply to them anyway.:rolleyes:
Glad it all worked out ok for the job. :)

Hey Mike,

thanks for sharing your inner London experience with us. Really interesting assignment and glad it all went well.

Presumably you had to confirm on your DJI Go app screen that you were aware you were in a restricted zone and that you had permission. Is it a legal requirement to liaise with Borough Film Services?

I'm currently in the middle of a contract to document a construction build on private land 2.5 miles from London City Airport. I phone in and let them know what I'm doing every time.

The Met Film Unit has a very useful flow diagram that you follow to ascertain if you need local permissions etc. I think it is more to do with the production of commercial film productions (roads being cordond off, actors firing guns etc... etc.). It sounds like you are within a private area - so no Borough issues, but suggest you check the diagram. I always have a printed off copy with me to show the local police should they turn up (not their fault but they may not know the details and if it is their Met form it does placate them).
Yes, just clicked the App re having the requisite permissions.
Mike

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaricruzRa