Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Drifting after firmware update

Reaction score
I'm reading more reports about out of control drifting upon take off after firmware update. If you have experienced this problem, post here. This may be an issue DJI has to look into.

Maybe there is no problem, other than that people are drawing erroneous conclusions about cause and effect. The issue that some are posting about may in fact have nothing to do with failed firmware upgrade, or the firmware itself causing the problem, and everything to do with not doing an IMU calibration after that update. We don't know yet, but let me offer some general observations:
Consider the fact that the package your Inspire came in has survived truck and airplane rides and sometimes ridden halfway around the word to get to you. Its not unreasonable to assume that the package has received several shocks or impacts along the way. The IMU that tells the FC what level flight is could have been affected by those impacts, and it's always a good idea when launching any new craft to do three things: update firmware, calibrate IMU, and do a compass calibration at the field/location you are launching from, then do a compass cal every time you change location.
Any one who has questions about how and why to do that IMU calibration, head on over to the Inspire Owner's thread on RCGroups.com, where this issue has been discussed in detail. Hope this has helpfully added to the conversation. :)

Edit: Actually, this thread on this forum has some good info.

Last edited:
Reactions: lrwskyfilms
mine has no issue drifting it will sit there for days rick solid. I don't think its a firmware issue but just going off my own expereince most likely what quad said and needs IMU calibration.

Maybe there is no problem, other than that people are drawing erroneous conclusions about cause and effect. The issue that some are posting about may in fact have nothing to do with failed firmware upgrade, or the firmware itself causing the problem, and everything to do with not doing an IMU calibration after that update. We don't know yet, but let me offer some general observations:
Consider the fact that the package your Inspire came in has survived truck and airplane rides and sometimes ridden halfway around the word to get to you. Its not unreasonable to assume that the package has received several shocks or impacts along the way. The IMU that tells the FC what level flight is could have been affected by those impacts, and it's always a good idea when launching any new craft to do three things: update firmware, calibrate IMU, and do a compass calibration at the field/location you are launching from, then do a compass cal every time you change location.
Any one who has questions about how and why to do that IMU calibration, head on over to the Inspire Owner's thread on RCGroups.com, where this issue has been discussed in detail. Hope this has helpfully added to the conversation. :)

Edit: Actually, this thread on this forum has some good info.

Good info. Why not just post a link to that thread here.

I've seen the reports on the facebook users group and more than one person has mentioned they have experienced this. I'm not saying the firmware is the absolute cause. But multiple reports have to lead to something. You have to hit facebook for this stuff. When it comes the Inspire, I keep an eye on four places to keep up- here, rcgroups, dji forum, and the facebook user group. That's a hell of a lot of keeping up with but at this stage I like to have a wide scope of user reports.

I've seen the reports on the facebook users group and more than one person has mentioned they have experienced this. I'm not saying the firmware is the absolute cause. But multiple reports have to lead to something. You have to hit facebook for this stuff. When it comes the Inspire, I keep an eye on four places to keep up- here, rcgroups, dji forum, and the facebook user group. That's a hell of a lot of keeping up with but at this stage I like to have a wide scope of user reports.

Thank you for posting this BTW.
I've been in touch with DJI tech support on 3 occasions now. They have determined that everything looks normal (IMU, compas values, etc.) and yet the problem exists after 3 separate test flights.

Hoping to find resolve. Having an I1 in front of you that you can't fly is worse than waiting months for it to come.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop