Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Drone Camera Megapixels: Do they Matter?

Reaction score
We recently undertook a case study comparing 3D models created using a 50 MP camera vs 20 MP camera shooting for the same GSD.

Here's what we foundđź’ˇ

Hope this forms an interesting read! đź“–

The linear math and correlations presented in the article isn't just predictable and intuitive, they're common sense.

Naturally, higher resolutions and narrower FOV's are going to equate to tighter GSD. Also common sense is that greater altitude or wider FOV is going to equate to less motion blur, which equals faster flight times, which equals shorter flights, which equals less batteries, yada, yada. Also common sense; Bigger equipment = greater set up time = more expensive = harder to transport, yada, yada. Higher resolution = more data = more disc space = high processing times, yada, yada. It's all about trade-offs and common sense, which anybody could predict. A camera twice as good flown twice as high is going to produce the same GSD as the lesser camera. It's almost like Ohm's Law for cameras. Watts/volts/amps all correlate.

While I appreciate the study, there's nothing revealing or revolutionary here. It reminds me of a $5M government study which determines that "A car driven twice as fast will reach its destination in half the time." Yeah? No kidding!

The answer to the question, "Drone Camera Megapixels: Do they Matter?" is "Yeah...how could they not???"

D

Last edited:
Reactions: JimD
Hi Donnie, thanks for your comment. It's not immediately obvious from the maths what the results from a larger sensor higher MP from further away would be like when to compared to a smaller sensor smaller MP much closer. (shooting for the same GSD)

Reactions: Donnie Frank
Hi Donnie, thanks for your comment. It's not immediately obvious from the maths what the results from a larger sensor higher MP from further away would be like when to compared to a smaller sensor smaller MP much closer. (shooting for the same GSD)
To truly get accurate numbers one would have to change a single variable. Changing multiple variables (Megapixels AND sensor size) makes it tough to extrapolate which variable matters more. I guess we can all take an educated guess... I understand that due to limited camera availability there's no way to change just one variable. But I wholeheartedly agree that the article is interesting.

D

Reactions: Hammer Missions

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Integratedretail