Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

X7

Reaction score
main.JPG
Zenmuse X7

Cinematic Vision Rising

• Inspire 2 Compatibility
  •  Super 35 Sensor
  •  6K CinemaDNG
  •  5.2K Apple ProRes
  •  14 Stops of Dynamic Range
  •  24 MP Stills

The Zenmuse X7 is a compact Super 35 camera with an integrated gimbal made for high-end filmmaking that delivers stunning resolution and image quality. Its compatibility with the Inspire 2 offers the best in next-level professional aerial cinematography. A 24 MP CMOS sensor rated at 14 stops of dynamic range preserves astonishing detail and offers both 6K CinemaDNG and 5.2K Apple ProRes with support for continuous RAW burst shooting at 20 fps and 24 MP stills.

The X7 also introduces the DL-Mount, the world's first integrated aerial lens mount that allows switching between four available prime lenses quickly. For seamless editing, a new DJI Cinema Color System preserves accurate colors for easier post-processing. These latest innovations allow filmmakers to reach new heights and capture scenes as they imagine them with the DJI Zenmuse X7.

Engineered for Excellence

The X7 uses a Super 35 sensor, and its high readout speed supports RAW output at 6K/30 fps and 3.9K/59.94 fps. The pixel size reaches 3.91 µm and the diagonal length of the sensor is 26.6 mm when recording. A sensor this size offers a higher sensitivity to light and 14 stops of dynamic range 1 — much wider than the 12.8 stops featured on the Zenmuse X5S.

Furthermore, the SNR of the X7 is 46 dB, 7 dB higher than the X5S, and the tonal range is as high as 9.41 bits. All of these features offer unlimited creative options for a better workflow in the most demanding situations on set.

DJI DL-Mount System

Taking advantage of new FSI-Cu technology, the X7’s sensor features thinner interconnection, allowing light to reach the sensing area via a larger incident angle for increased photosensitivity. This enables a more compact lens mount to be used on this sensor while maintaining excellent image quality.

The flange focal distance of the DL-Mount is less than 17 mm – roughly 1/3 of the size of a PL-Mount. Such a compact mount means that the X7 weighs only about 630g with a lens included. Together, the X7 and Inspire 2 weigh only around just 4 kg with the ability to capture the same challenging shots as more heavy-duty setups weighing up to 40 kg.

DL Lenses

DJI offers four prime lenses for the DL-Mount system, with focal lengths ranging from 16-50 mm (35 mm equivalent focal length: 24-77 mm) and resolutions of up to 8K. Made of lightweight carbon fiber and designed by world-leading optics teams, the four lenses have been embedded with advanced technologies crafted specifically for the X7’s high-end image sensor.

lens-image.JPG

More Creative Flexibility

To unleash the X7's full potential, the CineCore image processing system on the Inspire 2 has been fully upgraded to CineCore 2.1. It is capable of recording 6K/30fps CinemaDNG and 5.2K/30fps Apple ProRes, leaving more creative options in post-production.

A brand new EI Mode has been integrated into CineCore 2.1, which can record high-quality footage at various levels of sensitivity. Additionally, the upgraded image processing system further reduces image artifacts and noise, preserving more details while adopting an improved dark level correction system for pro-level cinematic images.

Apart from improved image processing performance, CineCore 2.1 also features a new color system, giving professional filmmakers more creative flexibility in post-production.

A Game Changer from Shoot to Finish

To unlock the wide-ranging possibilities of DJI professional imaging systems and open more room for post-processing aerial photography in filmmaking, DJI is proud to introduce the brand new DJI Cinema Color System.

The new color system consists of a new D-Log curve and a D-Gamut RGB color space. With professional cinematography in mind, the D-Log can encode 15 stops of dynamic range, 2 stops higher than the Zenmuse X5S. Even in poor light conditions, the X7 can still preserve stunning detail in shadows and highlights, leaving more room for post-production creativity.

D-Gamut covers the entire DCI-P3 color space commonly used in filmmaking. Tailored for aerial cinematography and stills photography, D-Gamut provides larger green tone coverage, delivering beautiful green gradation for your shoots.

D-Gamut also offers optimized skin tone adjustment by moving these tones to their most suitable chromaticity, ensuring vivid colors are reflected from every inch of skin. By applying the dedicated 3D-LUT in color grading, skin tones will softly transition, even with wide exposure differences. When designing D-Gamut, we considered manual color grading, preventing skin tones from turning yellow when editing without 3D-LUT or color management.

We are now working with multiple professional post-processing software companies to include D-Log and D-Gamut in their software to achieve universal compatibility with mainstream cinematic workflows as soon as possible.

Extended Dynamic Range
Wider dynamic range under similar settings.

Natural Highlight Roll Off
When adjusting image brightness during color grading, colors will fade out simultaneously with brightness.

Balanced Color: Easier Grading
Saturation on R/G/B color is carefully balanced.

Soft Skin Tone
Softer skin tone leaves more room for post-editing.

More Creative Possibilities
In addition to official LUTs from DJI, many widely-available LUTs can also be used.

1. Measured at 4096 × 2160 and 3840 × 2160 resolutions.
2. An MTF chart is used to measure the ability of a lens to reproduce contrast and resolve details. Low spatial frequencies reflect overall contrast, and high spatial frequencies reflect detail resolution. Both are measured in lp/mm. Image Height indicates the distance of a given point on the lens from the center of the sensor. MTF 100% indicates perfect performance.

X7_1.png x7_wjw_170815_black_2k.png

Reactions: Advexure
FAQ
1. Can I use the Zenmuse X7 on platforms other than the Inspire 2 or by itself?
Not at this time. The Zenmuse X7 gimbal and camera can only be used with Inspire 2, though the X7 will be compatible with more DJI products in the future.
2. Is the Zenmuse X7 compatible with the Inspire 1?
No.
3. What are the main differences between the new Zenmuse X7 and Zenmuse X5S?
Zenmuse X7 is equipped with a Super 35 mm image sensor and a DL-Mount that’s designed for aerial photography with four compatible lenses (16mm, 24mm, 35mm, and 50mm). In contrast, the Zenmuse X5S uses a 4/3-inch sensor, supporting eight professional lenses with a standard M4/3 mount. A balancing ring is needed for some X5S-compatible lenses.
4. How is the Zenmuse X7 and improvement over previous Zenmuse cameras? And how is that going to change the image quality?
The Zenmuse X7 uses a 23.5×15.7 mm sensor, with the size of a single pixel increased to 3.91 μm. It captures RAW videos at up to 6K/30 fps or 3.9K/59.94 fps and photos with a resolution up to 24 MP. The diagonals for video recording and photo shooting are 26.4 mm and 28.3 mm, respectively. The larger sensor in the X7 not only delivers excellent photo and video quality but also up to 14 stops dynamic range.
5. What are the advantages of the DL-Mount?
The DL-Mount significantly cuts the size and weight of a camera while at the same time, retaining cinema-grade image quality. The DL-Mount shortens X7’s flange focal distance to 16.84 mm, making the camera more compact and stable for aerial shooting.
6. What lenses are compatible with the Zenmuse X7?
Currently, the Zenmuse X7 is compatible with four DL-Mount prime lenses with a max aperture of F2.8. The 16 mm lens is equipped with a built-in ND filter. The 24, 35, and 50 mm lenses are equipped with leaf shutters that support a max shutter speed up to 1/1000s.
7. Among the four compatible lenses, what’s the difference between DL-S and DL ones?
The maximum sensor size supported by the DL-S lens is Super 35 mm, while the other three DL lenses support full-frame sensors. All of them can achieve resolutions of up to 8K.
8. How does the leaf shutter work? What are some of its benefits?
When the shutter speed is slower than 1/1000s, the leaf shutter will be automatically enabled but can be manually turned off. The leaf shutter prevents image distortion caused by rolling shutter, stripes resulting from artificial lighting, and motion blur when shooting high-speed objects. Currently, the leaf shutter is only active in Single Shot mode.
9. Do the X7-compatible lenses support third-party filters?
Yes. Any filter with a diameter of 46 mm that weights 10-12 g and is no thicker than 4.4 mm (excluding the threads) can be used with Zenmuse X7 lenses.
10. What storage device do I need if I use Inspire 2 with the Zenmuse X7?
A Micro SD card and a DJI CINESSD. A Micro SD card is required for basic image capturing, while the CINESSD is necessary only for high-end productions requiring specific video formats. CINESSD cannot be used by itself without a Micro SD card.
11. Where are the photos and videos stored when the Zenmuse X7 is connected to an Inspire 2?
JPEG and DNG pictures (not including RAW images captured in Burst mode) and videos recorded in H.264 and H.265 codecs are saved to the Micro SD card, while RAW images captured in Burst mode are stored in the DJI CINESSD. After with appropriate Activation Key, CinemaDNG and Apple ProRes videos can be recorded and saved in the DJI CINESSD.
12. How are the Zenmuse X7, Inspire 2, DJI Inspire 2 Activation Key, and CINESSD related?
The Zenmuse X7 is a professional aerial camera that is compatible with the Inspire 2. Videos recorded by the Zenmuse X7 are processed by the CineCore 2.1 Image Processing System. A DJI Inspire 2 Activation Key unlocks CinemaDNG and/or Apple ProRes processing capabilities for CineCore 2.1. These files are then saved to the CINESSD when recorded. Video recording capabilities will vary depending on the capacity of the CINESSD being used.

Okay. Where's the Super Osmo for this thing? No mention anywhere, other than a photo of someone walking it around hand-held on the I2, and no view screen either.

Initial impressions/feedback following X7 release event
  • It's the real deal. All the guys we spoke with that have used the X7 over the last few weeks were genuinely blown by the imaging quality on the X7. After the event we spoke with Devin Graham (Devin Super Tramp) as well as Phil Pastuhov who were on the panel during the event and the genuine feedback from both of these guys in private conversation was great to hear.
  • Lenses are beautiful quality. From the way the lens cap turns off so smoothly to the feel of the extremely lightweight carbon fiber, these lenses are designed extremely well. Needless to say they are incredibly light.
  • Colorist showing live demos on-site described X7 footage as "malleable" and right in line with the Alexa.

Other important notes
  • DJI confirmed that weight difference is not significant enough to impact handling or flight time.
  • Weight of all lenses is relatively the same (+/- 2 grams)
  • Due to consistent weight, no balancing is needed!
  • 16mm lens includes built-in ND4 filter
  • Thread size 46mm on all lenses
  • All lenses are f2.8
  • Cinecore is receiving a FW update to CineCore 2.1, no hardware change, solely software.
  • Single pixel size is now 3.91 μm
We are looking forward to getting some hands on use with the X7 over the next few days and will report back here on IP with our findings.

36d9e2b5db895c20903de4235406dcc3.jpg

Zenmuse X7 - 1.JPG
Zenmuse X7 - 2.JPG
Zenmuse X7 - 3.JPG
Zenmuse X7 - 4.JPG
Zenmuse X7 - 5.JPG
Zenmuse X7 - 6.JPG

Zenmuse X7 is here and now available for pre-order at Advexure. Pre-order now direct at Advexure.com or give us a call at (424) 317-4450 with any questions pertaining to the new X7.

Pricing
DJI Zenmuse X7 (Lens Excluded) – $2,699
DJI Zenmuse X7 DL-S 16mm F2.8 ND ASPH Lens – $1,299
DJI Zenmuse X7 DL 24mm F2.8 LS ASPH Lens – $1,299
DJI Zenmuse X7 DL 35mm F2.8 LS ASPH Lens – $1,299
DJI Zenmuse X7 DL 50mm F2.8 LS ASPH Lens – $1,199
DJI Zenmuse X7 DL/DL-S Lens Set – $4,299

Availability
The Zenmuse X7 and lenses are estimated to begin shipping from Advexure in early November.

Key Features & Highlights
  • Super 35 sensor
  • CinemaDNG RAW 6K
  • Apple ProRes 5.2K
  • 24 MP stills
  • DL-Mount compatible with four DJI prime lenses
  • Cinema Color System - preserves accurate coloring for easier post work
  • Lenses are made of carbon, very lightweight

Reactions: stephan_f
Ok this ain’t gonna be popular. If you are not a documentary film maker or work in the movies this is a massive waste of money for the vast majority of pilots.

This is a no brainer...
This is a fraction of the cost to get a real sensor in the air vs any heavy lift system.
Is there any discount if buying the entire set of lenses + camera ?
Do we know if orders for the full set of lenses will be filled before the individuals rolls out like they did with i2 premium?

It's a beautiful system and I want one with all the lenses but, it ain't happening anytime soon. Right now I don't even need CineDNG/ProRes/Etc in my work. If I shot mostly movie work yes, I could see the investment. I shoot mostly for social media, honestly 1080p is probably all I ever really need. But, I still want them. I would bet the 35 & 50mm rarely see the light of day for even most cinematographers. This does strengthen DJI's commitment to making the I-2 the "cinema" workhorse and the M-2xx series to industrial use.

I noticed that CineCore 2.1 seems to offer a wider range of data rates.

Does anyone know if the 2.1 update will be available for X5S owners to make use of these additional data rates?

I noticed that CineCore 2.1 seems to offer a wider range of data rates.

Does anyone know if the 2.1 update will be available for X5S owners to make use of these additional data rates?

Yes, we were told at the release event on Wednesday that all Inspire 2 users will have access to the CineCore 2.1 update in a coming FW.

Reactions: MrTVR
Zenmuse X7

Cinematic Vision Rising

• Inspire 2 Compatibility
  •  Super 35 Sensor
  •  6K CinemaDNG
  •  5.2K Apple ProRes
  •  14 Stops of Dynamic Range
  •  24 MP Stills

View attachment 16176 View attachment 16179
Please don’t cut and paste a huge article about something we all saw on dji’s web site!

The post has no value! We get it. We saw it already!
If you want to add a comment, by all means do so, but please don’t just cut and paste!
Thank you !

Last edited:
Please don’t cut and paste a huge article about something we all saw on dji’s web site!

The post has no value! We get it. We saw it already!
If you want to add a comment, by all means do so, but please don’t just cut and paste!
Thank you !

I didn’t cut and past. I actually made the post.. I can also post what I see fit. You do realize I work for DJI and post these things on new releases?

Devin has shown during his Beta testing of this unit that there is precious little ground clearance from the bottom of this camera to any uneven terrain and or heaven forbid a rock!

Anyone looking at designing a set of "high heels" for the I2 that would provide extra clearance and stay out of camera view?

Reactions: Casey53
Devin has shown during his Beta testing of this unit that there is precious little ground clearance from the bottom of this camera to any uneven terrain and or heaven forbid a rock!

Anyone looking at designing a set of "high heels" for the I2 that would provide extra clearance and stay out of camera view?

Instead of "high heels" I was thinking of some concave bowl. First thought of grandpa's hemorrhoid cushion, but if one leg landed in the hole, might not be good outcome for the gimbal and camera.

Seems a slight concave landing pad, 3-4 feet diameter and foldable, might be a better answer for field use. Maybe with some contrasty pattern for the VPS to recognize too if it needs that.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adamwalker4963