Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Drone Crashes Into Highway Traffic

Why would you do this????

I have no idea what goes on inside the mind of an idiot. Flying over and filming traffic isn't even exciting. It's probably criminal (there are city ordinances about passing balls or other objects through traffic).

The operator should be charged with dozens of counts of attempted murder IMO.

I almost wonder if sickos against drones do stuff like this on purpose.

It's a shame that safe pilots have to constantly defend ourselves because of a few morons that make it on the news with their terribly dumb actions. I'm also getting tired of people "jokingly" asking if these are used / can be used to spy on people. So ignorant.

Vid has removed, so didn't see it, but same question. Why? Sadly these idiots have wound us all up in red tape and HSE jobsworths and the solictors get richer.

The link is down unfortunately. The news story is there but not the video. Anyone pick it up before it was removed?

In the meantime, enjoy this other news story from a few days ago in Dubai. Not helping our cause and potentially ever more dangerous.

http://www.thenational.ae/uae/transport/recreational-drones-bring-dubai-airport-traffic-to-a-halt

I spent 5yrs in the middle east, catch the idiot, put them in typical prison for a few days and they'll change their mind. It is only a matter of time before some hits a plane in flight, whether it's an idiot or a terrorist.

Reactions: lrwskyfilms
That should be very easy to trace if the guys who picked that up (after being stuck underneath their vehicle) hand it to the authorities.

Both the GoPro and the Phantom should be registered using serial numbers and email addresses. It then doesn't take a rocket scientists to match these with an end user.

I hope they throw the book at him/her (after beating them around the head with the book first!)

Reactions: lrwskyfilms
I take it you're not very familiar with the legal definition of attempted murder...

I know that those charges would not be realistic. I was just disappointed that this occurred and was fantasizing about penalizing an outrageous act and incident with outrageous charges.

Both the GoPro and the Phantom should be registered using serial numbers and email addresses. It then doesn't take a rocket scientists to match these with an end user.

I agree the operator of this drone needs a good beatdown --- but you're pretty naive if you think tracking someone down using serial numbers from a GoPro and Phantom is a guaranteed piece of cake.

Anyone can buy a consumer drone or camera online with a money order, or cash if they walk into a local dealer. Theres no ID info. attached to this purchase. Furthermore, email addresses can be created totally anonymously, and even registered and checked at public WiFi hotspots so that IP addresses can't be attached to a person's identity.

You have to give your email address and serial number if you want to update firmware on your gopro.
Same with DJI stuff, you need to log in to the assistants/apps before you can do much, and there's a 100% chance this logs your machines' serial numbers along.

The typical guy who's stupid enough to do that kind of thing is completely unable to use thorough internet anonymity techniques, and likely won't even think of making throwaway accounts in the first place.

You have to give your email address and serial number if you want to update firmware on your gopro.
Same with DJI stuff, you need to log in to the assistants/apps before you can do much, and there's a 100% chance this logs your machines' serial numbers along.

The typical guy who's stupid enough to do that kind of thing is completely unable to use thorough internet anonymity techniques, and likely won't even think of making throwaway accounts in the first place.

@MadMitch88 - Exactly my point. They kind of individual who pulled this stunt will not have the intelligence to even think about hiding their identity when it comes to firmware updated and registration - Come to think of it..... they might not even know what firmware is :p

Add to that, their mobile phone, IMIE number, SIM card S/N, MAC address, Cellular provider details along with bank details to get a phone plan and it would take minutes to find out who/where he was!

if the person who created the clip follows this forum, please use this as a learning opportunity to not repeat the same mistake twice. Also use this experience to educate novice users on the actual risks of doing such manoeuvers and advise them to NEVER to do them as the risks are too high.

Everyone makes mistakes, and anyone entering this hobby is bound to feel invincible and to make stupid mistakes at first. All we can wish for is that this serves as a well understood warning.

To all others who claim this is a reprehensible behavior, I would ask that you to do a serious introspection and really reflect on all the actions you've done in the past. Surely you can find something that would qualify as questionable behavior.

Everyone makes mistakes. While not everyone will risk flying in rush hour traffic, we are all bound to learn from our past experiences. Hopefully, the person responsible for this news cast will learn from the experience and NEVER repeat the same mistake again.

Reactions: Joola

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LewisuhaAbips