Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Drone regulations Costa Rica

hey thanks for the reassurance! I actually ordered the DJI Mavic ;) so I'm assuming it will definitely be small enough to carry on.
Awesome. I just took the plunge on the Mavic as well. For convenience, I now leave a Solo and P3P down there, and only carry the GoPro around. I think the Mavic will become my constant traveling companion to other destinations.

Reactions: nuclearheli
I have read on a couple of sites that a license is required for both recreational and commercial use. The license is 40 hours of theoretical training, 10 hours of flight and $94 for the fee. Commercial folks have to hand over $1,800+ to use a drone. I also read the fine for non-compliance is $16,000.

I rarely saw police on my two visits to CR, but I am not sure I want to risk a $16k fine for an upcoming visit.

I am going to ask my Spanish speaking coworkers to look at the site Dirección General de Aviación Civil to see if they can confirm the need for the license.

I am waiting for my Mavic to show up. I would love to take it with me to CR, but am unsure at this point.

are there any updates on this? We are going to CR in June of 2017. Need to know if permits are actually required? I have seen some of the same requirements posted earlier about getting Civil Aviation flight hours and such. We are just trying to use while fishing and surfing.

It's still very relaxed. If you're not flying for money, no permits are needed. Police will not even look at you unless you're pulling a stupid stunt. Flew at least 20 packs (between the Mavic, Solo and P3P) last week and everything was fine. Zero worries at the airport.

It's still very relaxed. If you're not flying for money, no permits are needed. Police will not even look at you unless you're pulling a stupid stunt. Flew at least 20 packs (between the Mavic, Solo and P3P) last week and everything was fine. Zero worries at the airport.

I will be taking my Mavic.....did you check or carry on?

I will be taking my Mavic.....did you check or carry on?
I have the Fly More combo pouch, which I put in my backpack and carried on. Not even a second glance at any of the airports I was in. I try avoiding checking drones if at all possible. It's just too many tumbles throughout the journey to be good for the equipment.

I have read on a couple of sites that a license is required for both recreational and commercial use. The license is 40 hours of theoretical training, 10 hours of flight and $94 for the fee. Commercial folks have to hand over $1,800+ to use a drone. I also read the fine for non-compliance is $16,000.

I rarely saw police on my two visits to CR, but I am not sure I want to risk a $16k fine for an upcoming visit.

I am going to ask my Spanish speaking coworkers to look at the site Dirección General de Aviación Civil to see if they can confirm the need for the license.

I am waiting for my Mavic to show up. I would love to take it with me to CR, but am unsure at this point.

were you able to get any new information on the requirements?

Have checked Direccion General de Aviacion Civil de CR - no any changes...

Just follow the rules mentioned at the beginning of the topic :)

Just for the reference here is the direct link:

principal

are there any updates on this? We are going to CR in June of 2017. Need to know if permits are actually required? I have seen some of the same requirements posted earlier about getting Civil Aviation flight hours and such. We are just trying to use while fishing and surfing.

I had no issues on my trip at all. Packed my mavic in my carry-on baggage and had no problems getting through security. Also had no problems flying it in CR. The only time I had a minor issue was when I went to the La Fortuna waterfall. I was able to get some aerial shots, but down at the bottom, an employee told me they weren't allowed because of the strong updraft from the waterfall, etc. He said people had lost their drones there before. I didn't push it too much, so I don't know if it was just their preference or an actual regulation, but I didn't feel like losing my drone either, so I just settled for the aerial shots I'd already gotten. But other than that, I had no issues at all. I even flew it at the beach in front of some men sitting in a police truck (and was worried they'd approach me, but they didn't!).

Great info, thank you. We'll be staying on the south side of Arenal Volcano across the water. I'm having trouble finding the radius restriction from the volcano, does anyone know what the closest distance is that you are allowed?

Going to Costa Rica with my phantom soon, did I hear that you need to pay for a licence? Any problems to expect at arrival at the airport? Anybody recently traveled there with a drone?

Going to Costa Rica with my phantom soon, did I hear that you need to pay for a licence? Any problems to expect at arrival at the airport? Anybody recently traveled there with a drone?

How did your trip go? What steps did you need to take to register drone for CR?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool