Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Drones Causing Problems for Wildfire Fighting

There is always going to be assholes misusing drones and fly around where they shouldn't. Regardless of checking fires, spying on neighbours, flying in to crowded areas and so forth, they cause problems for people who used them in a correct way. Restrictions comes from these bad behaviours and affect us all. So simply, just use the brain before flying.

Reactions: qbizzy
To fly in a place like that without checking the NOTAM's is just irresponsible. You need to pass a test to drive a car you should have to learn basic safety to buy and operate a drone, commercially or not.

Reactions: Ferdi
To fly in a place like that without checking the NOTAM's is just irresponsible. You need to pass a test to drive a car you should have to learn basic safety to buy and operate a drone, commercially or not.
I would hazard a guess that better than 80% of hobbyists have no idea what a NOTAM or TFR is unfortunately.

I was going to photograph and film a barn fire the other day. Spoke with the fire chief if it was okay to fly a drone a bit outside the fire area, in order to get an overview image. It was all right for him, but then I asked the owners of the farm, when I saw that there were a lot of horses nearby. I did not have to ask them, but it felt like the right thing to do.

They said no, becouse some of the horses were apparently very easily frightened. Was apparently common that helicopters entered over the farm at low altitude.
In this situation, I chose to abstain. Thought they had it hard enough with the fire.. than to have to worry about the horses, too.
Even if I really wanted to have that overview image, if I continued, it would given a bad taste about the newspaper I photographed for too.

I had a similar situation when Sawyer Fredricks came to perform and I was asked to film the event. He came in on a carriage pulled by a bunch of Clydesdales. Beautiful horses. NBC wanted me to get tight shots and then pull way out. I knew right away I had no desire to fly near four horses nevermind ones pulling passengers through crowds of people. Double checked with the owners of the horses and they said good choice. Could have been a disaster. Always practice good judgement and err on the side of caution. We skipped over a little dangerous and pretty dangerous and went into what can be very dangerous.

Definitely true since I only learned in the past year after flying for 15 years (I know it's dumb but I can admit when I am wrong).

I think I read this wrong, but are you saying you have been flying for 15 years (as a private pilot?) and did not know what a NOTAM or TFR is?

I was going to photograph and film a barn fire the other day. Spoke with the fire chief if it was okay to fly a drone a bit outside the fire area, in order to get an overview image. It was all right for him, but then I asked the owners of the farm, when I saw that there were a lot of horses nearby. I did not have to ask them, but it felt like the right thing to do.

They said no, becouse some of the horses were apparently very easily frightened. Was apparently common that helicopters entered over the farm at low altitude.
In this situation, I chose to abstain. Thought they had it hard enough with the fire.. than to have to worry about the horses, too.
Even if I really wanted to have that overview image, if I continued, it would given a bad taste about the newspaper I photographed for too.

Ummm... You have it completely backwards here.... You have to ask the property owner of the property that you are flying over. If you are completely out of their way and not obstructing their duties the fire department is an optional discussion. Do you think ground reporters ask the fire department if they can capture news video? No. Do you think that same reporter asked permission of the property owner before going on to the property to capture video up close. Yes.

Ummm... You have it completely backwards here.... You have to ask the property owner of the property that you are flying over. If you are completely out of their way and not obstructing their duties the fire department is an optional discussion. Do you think ground reporters ask the fire department if they can capture news video? No. Do you think that same reporter asked permission of the property owner before going on to the property to capture video up close. Yes.

I often talk with the firemen, if I believe that I can be a disturbance.
You get a better collaboration and easier to get good pictures later.

Then I live in Sweden, where there is no problem to fly over someone's land. When I practice flying, I'm on another person's land. Have never heard anything and he greets as he drives past.
As long as there are no crowds and don´t shooting someone in an embarrassing situation, you can fly almost any way you want.
But you have to keep some height.

We have the most problems in major cities that have airports. People do not know about or don´t care that you don´t fly drones around airports.

I think I read this wrong, but are you saying you have been flying for 15 years (as a private pilot?) and did not know what a NOTAM or TFR is?
Nooooo, I meant flying models. I only started private pilot this year.

Common sense is the most difficult of the senses, for some people ... oviamente if helicoteros aircraft or working should not take off the drone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop