Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Dual Camera for Inspire 1

Reaction score
Hello Everyone, I work for a fire department and we have an Inspire 1. Does anyone know of or use a dou camera one of which to be IR?
Thanks

Hello Everyone, I work for a fire department and we have an Inspire 1. Does anyone know of or use a dou camera one of which to be IR?
Thanks

Actually there is a nice dual camera system that is viewable through single main display very similar to the new XT2 for the Matrice M210, but designed a year or so back for the Inspire 1. Looks to fully integrate with DJI app.

Regular 16mb Full HD daylight camera and Flir Camera.
You can fit any of the Flir cameras and Daylight Sony Sensor
  • EO/IR kit for Inspire 1
  • 3-axis gyro-stabilized gimbal, 360° continuous rotation, +60°-90° Pitch
  • Synchronous control for 2 sensor: photo, video, and zoom on daylight camera
  • Horizon computation system with dual IMU
  • Support Flir Tau 2, Tau 2 Thermal Capture, Vue, Vue Pro, Vue Pro R

USA store that carries:
Dronebase Gemini EO/IR (For Inspire 1) - DJI Inspire 1 - Compare Inspire Models - Drones & Parts - Online Store

I believe this is the home site of the product, they make several dual setups that you configure. The one above within USA looks like it was designed for the I1 Gimbal, but the home site looks to have same setup in different casing... newer model?
DJI Inspire Thermal Gimbal with Dual sensor IR-EO 16MP camera

That's a nice bit of kit, does it play well with the Go app? (I'm not yet caught up in all the inter-connections w/regards program languages sorry). I have read where apps *work* with Go..."but for"...(more lines code/added HW/FW etc), so i am curious as to how 'streamed' into the app it is?

I'm only three weeks into the DJI playground...

Good to see an alternate, yet i do believe the OP was about dual gimbals and cameras, not an integrated solution and for that, as i stated, i don't believe the FW has been written to support THAT 'set-up' for an Inspire 1. (*Nb; how i personally interpreted the post, as i am/was aware of the XT (I1V1/2) and XT2 (I2) )

Looking at the pricing for the top range in that link barely makes it a 'cheap' item, with costs of $6K> dependent on needs of course. Same with FLIR, and i see the XT/XT2 as moderately good "high end, middle ground" solution for the Inspire platform without hindering performance due to limitations in both AC & Flir technologies.

Interesting information just the same, and i have bookmarked the links page for future reference btw. ;)
A.U.S.

Last edited:
I was told that the FPV systems that were for sale and even current kit components for FPV use the the same 2.4? ghertz fequencies and cause problems with lightbridge on the inspire/control comms.
I also would like FPV system for my I1mk2

I was told that the FPV systems that were for sale and even current kit components for FPV use the the same 2.4? ghertz fequencies and cause problems with lightbridge on the inspire/control comms.
You "could" install your own 5.8ghz feed...

Just a thought, as i have yet to get a set of goggles, (had a stolen sale om w/end for my first set, buts that's a tale for a different day), but that's how open-source guys do it. Some apps/progs. etc allow you to switch frequencies, does this on DJI???

By all means, follow your local guidelines, i merely offer you look elsewhere (legally) to do a workaround for your problem. Perhaps a UHF system instead?

I am curious if the headset, or Go app has an adjustment to exactly just avoid this conflict? Go app experts got an answer here please?

I will follow this, as i am looking to buy a headset myself for my Inspire, so any new developments will only be of benefit.

With Thanks
A.U.S.

it appears that a 25mw transmitter is legal in the UK (however there are transmitters for sale that have greater output, some up to 800mw, which are adjustable ) of course I would never turn the power up for extra range and quality.

Perhaps there lays your answer.

I'm still curious to whether either the HW (headset) or FW (Go app) allows for channel switching though, it's a common process these days...

• Description
  • What's in the Box
  • Specification

• 1x 3-Axis gimbal with onboard 16MP daylight camera for DJI Inspire 1
  • 1x Plug & Play mount adapter for X3/X5 gimbal
  • 1x Dual Camera Setup with remove video switch (Daylight/Thermal)
  • 1x Lightbridge N1 with live view on DJI Go App
  • 1x User Manual

That's a nice bit of kit, does it play well with the Go app? (I'm not yet caught up in all the inter-connections w/regards program languages sorry). I have read where apps *work* with Go..."but for"...(more lines code/added HW/FW etc), so i am curious as to how 'streamed' into the app it is?

I'm only three weeks into the DJI playground...

Good to see an alternate, yet i do believe the OP was about dual gimbals and cameras, not an integrated solution and for that, as i stated, i don't believe the FW has been written to support THAT 'set-up' for an Inspire 1. (*Nb; how i personally interpreted the post, as i am/was aware of the XT (I1V1/2) and XT2 (I2) )

Looking at the pricing for the top range in that link barely makes it a 'cheap' item, with costs of $6K> dependent on needs of course. Same with FLIR, and i see the XT/XT2 as moderately good "high end, middle ground" solution for the Inspire platform without hindering performance due to limitations in both AC & Flir technologies.

Interesting information just the same, and i have bookmarked the links page for future reference btw. ;)
A.U.S.
Actually in my reading, I interpreted the OP was asking for DUO setup....
Question was: "Does anyone know of or use a dou camera one of which to be IR?" I didn't notice any question on a dual gimbal mount or dual cameras.

The link is a dual setup... it's able to use any of the FLIR sensor / camera. The DJI Zenmuse XT or XT R use the TAU 2 Sensor which is available to install into this setup. It's indicated to be fully compatible with the DJI GOapp in a similar fashion as the DJI Zenmuse XT R.

Cost, well sadly.. none of the FLIR solutions are going to be "cheap", especially the DJI-Flir Integrated XT solutions.
The DJI Zenmuse XT R is above $14K. The brand new XT2 which I don't think is released yet will be a lot higher than the XT; which should place the Gemini EO/IR in a much lower cost position in comparison to the DJI XT2 as a DUO setup in overall comparison. I'm not sure of the cost of the Gemini EO/IR for the USA, I have requested a quote and not yet received. The Inspire 1 can only use the XT, will not be able to use the XT2 Duo setup, which makes this the only I1 duo setup I've seen operating on a single Inspire RC and not requiring a 2nd Radio.

Not knowing how the system works in both reliability or functionality... and just basing it on web information, this provides a good solution to maintain the Inspire 1 craft. I personally couldn't justify an Inspire 2 & XT2. I'm going more Matrice 210, greater flexibility in both mounts & cameras. Able to run a I1 XT R (new v2 update) or new XT2. In the case of the M210 with dual gimbal, I question why run the new XT2 when you could mount the XT R and 2nd Camera... or look at the Gemini EO/IR if or when it's supported.

Regarding UK freq or requirements... beyond the 9Hz vs 30Hz, I have no idea. The home site lists all UK 9Hz cameras, I didn't see the 30Hz USA option. I'd suggest investigating the home site for details.

The USA site hasn't been very prompt in responding to questions or quote. If I receive anything, I'll be happy to share any new information.

Well... I was not correct.
I was able to converse with the USA distributor. 1st, it's discontinued and a new model is being developed.
2, it's not fully integrated with the Inspire RC.

So... sorry for pushing something that actually wasn't.

Appreciate your honesty and integrity in letting us know.
It won't be long before the after market sector break into the DJI mainstream imo.

I just went back to the DJI promo page and found this of interest, as it conveys some sort of control on the operators behalf (or in the least, auto switching by the FW)..bare in mind, the are a LOT of CHANNELS on the 2.4 FREQUENCY, and as such, terminology plays a big role.

"An upgraded video transmission system is now capable of dual signal frequency and dual channel, streaming video from an onboard FPVcamera and the main camera simultaneously, for better pilot and camera operator collaboration"

[EDIT]..just found the descriptor, it may help...

VIDEO TRANSMISSION SYSTEM
The latest update to DJI Lightbridge technology has an effective transmissiondistance of up to 4.3mi (7km)* and is capable of delivering both 1080p/720pvideo as well as the FPV view to pilot and camera operator. Users can alsoswitch between 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz** control frequencies to cut throughnoise for greater signal stability.

Master and Slave Controllers
A new wireless HD image transmission technology sends video information fromthe master controller to the slave controller and the two controllers can be up to100m apart without loss of image quality.

Broadcast mode
Broadcasters can broadcast direct from the Inspire 2 using its dedicated 1080i50and 720p60 transmission signal. Aerial live-streaming direct to TV is as simple asconnecting the Inspire 2 remote controller to the satellite truck.

*Unobstructed, free of interference, FCC compliant.
**5.8GHz transmission is not available in some regions due to local regulations.

Perhaps the new FW just needs a little tweeking as real world application tends to show shortfalls in new release products developed in a lab. I wouldn't be too worried, as DJI will have to sort it if they want continued sales of that item.

Alternately, ,you live in a region where the supplied system is in contravention of your local laws, ie; last line of promo...therefore the DJI product is not the problem, it's the confinement of your region. Want FPV and DJI, guess your gonna have to go outlaw, or move.
A.U.S.

Last edited:
Appreciate your honesty and integrity in letting us know.
It won't be long before the after market sector break into the DJI mainstream imo.
Agree with you whole heartedly and looking forward to the day when after market breaks into DJI ecosystem.
When I read Chris's post above, enthusiastically & optimistically hopeful there was a nice fitting product outside the DJI ecosystem... the premiums associated to closed ecosystems is stunning, but acceptable when no 3rd party provides similar product options.

Back on the reality.... In examining the Zenmuse XT2 series, the Inspire 2 is not included in the platform supported. Only the Matrice 200 & 600 series. Currently the Inspire with Zenmuse XT R is the only "integrated" thermo option and appears the only Inspire series solution. For small business, that's a significant jump going or a I1v2 & XT R to a M210 with a XT R or XT2.
I haven't seen a price listing for the XT2 yet but would imagine if the XT R is $14K, will probably start in $18K-20K range.
When you compare that to the Flir DUO with same sensors, the price of integration is very pricey.

I agree. I had hoped the I2.0 would support the XT/XT2, alas that is not DJI's intent with this platform anymore.

It's understandable in an evolving and growing "industry" that initial offerings will undertake a metamorphosis as the manufacturer finds their feet and customer base.

I enjoy having the I1v2 and hope to have an XT for it one day, so i might cross the void so to speak, without having to spend A$20-50,000...it will suffice as my launch equipment, and as funds allow, upgrades will occur.

Cheers

I agree. I had hoped the I2.0 would support the XT/XT2, alas that is not DJI's intent with this platform anymore.

It's understandable in an evolving and growing "industry" that initial offerings will undertake a metamorphosis as the manufacturer finds their feet and customer base.

I enjoy having the I1v2 and hope to have an XT for it one day, so i might cross the void so to speak, without having to spend A$20-50,000...it will suffice as my launch equipment, and as funds allow, upgrades will occur.

Cheers
The one small benefit to the XT R not being supported on I2 and needing the XTv2 for M210 is that as active shops move upward to the XT Rv2 or XT2, the trade-in value of the XT R drops... and will hopefully be at a cost level that a individual attempting to get involved with Thermo imaging can aquire. The quality of the Sensors remains essentially the same as the new models so one could still offer competitive services.

That is one reason I retain the I1v2, I’m new in the field and the lower cost of established but not the newest hardware has lower investment requirements... although to a newbie such as myself, it’s still a healthy investment.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeganSugde