Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Dual controller and the famous waypoints promise.

Reaction score
Been thinking lately, why would DJI not launch their I1 with GPS waypoints and POI option..... Got me thinking... and I think their marketing strategy was/is letting people buying an additional TX for 650 dollars a pop. The technology was there, they just chose not to migrate it to the I1.

Because lets face it, with the autopilot feature and POI the second TX is useless, who needs a dual operation then?

Last edited:
if your want the copter to do the flying, and then you can control the camera 360 degrees. Pretty sweet feature for pilots who's camera operator is not available that day.

Most shoots where you really need 2 people do not really benefit from the waypoint feature.
There's often timing to coordinate and both the pilot and cameraman need to be able to do "live" corrections to the planned path, slow down because the car you're following goes slower than you thought, etc.
Waypoints will not give you smooth yet precise movements when you're doing "crane" type shots.

Setting up waypoints properly takes 15-30min, discussing with the pilot about what to do takes 2. When you're on a shoot with 10 people waiting on you you won't last long if you make everybody wait until you've set your waypoints.

Those where I don't need 2 people I do them in FPV and don't need waypoints either.

The main reason for us having an inspire is exactly the ability to use two operators. one concentrating on precise flying while the other operates the camera.
For really precise filming it is impossible to do both anywhere near as well as it is with two operators.

Reactions: Ferdi and Kilrah
The main reason for us having an inspire is exactly the ability to use two operators. one concentrating on precise flying while the other operates the camera.
For really precise filming it is impossible to do both anywhere near as well as it is with two operators.
I dunno, man...waypoints sound *pretty precise* to me. I, for one, am excited about doing exactly what the OP talks about...setting some smart waypoints, and doing my own slick camera work.

Regardless of DJI's motivations they have promised waypoints as a feature for the inspire. They talked about it around the launch as though it was already implemented and then backtracked and promised it later. This is a major issue for me as I purchased the Inspire with this feature in mind. For certain shots where for example one when onehas to circle a landmark or building this is an important asset. Given that one can install waypoints on a $500 Phantom it is not unreasonable to start to demand this feature from DJI sooner rather than later. I am very happy with the general performance of the Inspire and would have purchased 2 TX units regardless. More transparency from the company about their intentions would also be useful. Let us know when you are going to release this so we can decide if we need to make an additional investment to achieve our aerial photography goals in the short to medium term. That is how you will build loyal customers.

Reactions: flyingclint
I suspect both features will be in the next firmware release since they are now advertising them in the newly announced Phantom 3 which appears to use the Inspire controllers (dual option also) and the same Pilot app.

I suspect both features will be in the next firmware release since they are now advertising them in the newly announced Phantom 3 which appears to use the Inspire controllers (dual option also) and the same Pilot app.
Wishful thinking... if only!

Unfortunately, what they're advertising for GroundStation with the P3 is that it's available via SDK for third parties to create apps with. It's the only mention of GroundStation on DJI's Phantom 3 site. Additionally, most outlets are specifically reporting that the P3 will not have out-of-the-box GS support.

I really do hope that changes. I have never used the PC GroundStation, so I don't know how difficult it would be to incorporate its features directly into the app, but I don't see why they just don't import and improve on the Vision GS interface. It doesn't have to be super-complicated.

Maybe so for most, but I've been flying single operator for a long time and can do both perfectly.

Reactions: Luke
Maybe so for most, but I've been flying single operator for a long time and can do both perfectly.
GizaDog , without wanting to upset anyone I have seen a couple of your videos and think you make my point for me perfectly. They are good but they lack something that a dedicated camera operator would add.
I too often fly and film on my own doing so perfectly well, however what I am talking about is doing it optimally.
When flying in close quarters, for instance on ( and I mean on) a live stage right by a performer then moving out over the crowd and panning back at the same time it is simply impossible to do this effectively and safely with a single operator.

Number one tip for filming with the I1 ------ set up the camera and switch the camera mode to free swing, that smooths out the movement of the i1 whilst still allowing camera panning. You don't get the little shifts evident when the i1 adjusts to wind or panning itself.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klrshopfitters