Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

"Entry Level" inspire 2 ?

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Really would like to upgrade from P4 to I2. Not sure the cost will meet with the approval of the home management (wife). Certainly not the whole shebang with the nice lens and super ssd etc - and premium cost - at least not initially.

Herein lies the question: the package that DJI is selling with ProRes and Cinema DNG licenses, the super SSD and better lens, if I DON't get them, am I selling myself way short?

I live in the north (cold) weather; it gets really windy at times; and I like to shoot during the golden hours; so I could really use the heated batteries,better flight dynamics and greater dynamic range.
Do I pull the trigger on the "lesser version" of the I2 or wait?

Sent from my iPad using InspirePilots

Are you shooting professionally or as a hobbyist? Unless you have very deep pockets, there's no reason for a hobbyist to get to Inspire 2 bundle. You'd get more for your money with an Inspire 1 Pro. There's a battery warmer for the I1 batteries but I'm not sure how well it works.

I suppose i have gone with the "Entry Level" and have opted for the X4S. I'll be using this for my business to shoot for estate agents, creative projects and surveying. As and when the need for the X5S comes along then i may consider it and that's one of the best things about the inspire is that its upgradable to an extent

You can say that again. I'd love to buy an X4S for my I1...Sometimes I feel like I'm dealing with Apple and forced obsolescence. If only their Customer Service was half as good as Apple's.
Just because new tech comes out it doesn't mean the previous gen are obsolete. I'm sure your ipads/phones have had OS updates as do DJI Drones. Be happy that both Apple and DJI products have brilliant resale value

Just because new tech comes out it doesn't mean the previous gen are obsolete. I'm sure your ipads/phones have had OS updates as do DJI Drones. Be happy that both Apple and DJI products have brilliant resale value
Sorry. I was being snarky and my point wasn't very clear.

There isn't much they can do with the software to improve the Inspire 1. I think many people are disappointed to see that the interface between gimbal and inspire changed after 1 generation so that the new hardware won't work on the current gen Inspire. We've been begging for improved bitrates since the I1 was released and now that they've finally delivered, the only way to get it is to buy an entirely new platform for nearly double the cost of the previous investment. That's a tough pill to swallow for the prosumer market sector. Not so much for the professional market.

Of course, all of that would be moot if they announced a new camera with higher bitrate that's compatible with the I1, but DJI doesn't have a track record of doing things like that.

Last edited:
Sorry. I was being snarky and my point wasn't very clear.

There isn't much they can with the software to improve the Inspire 1. I think many people are disappointing to see that the interface between gimbal and inspire changed after 1 generation so that the new hardware won't work on the current gen Inspire. We've been begging for improved bitrates since the I1 was released and now that they've finally delivered, the only way to get it is to buy an entirely new platform for nearly double the cost of the previous investment. That's a tough pill to swallow for the prosumer market sector. Not so much for the professional market.

Of course, all of that would be moot if they announced a new camera with higher bitrate that's compatible with the I1, but DJI doesn't have a track record of doing things like that.
I can only go by my experience with owning a Phantom 3, it's was upgraded substantially over the time that I owned it with better stability, higher resolution video and smart modes.

I'm looking for an opinion here also...I'm currently operating a P3P, just passed my part 107 test. I'm planning to start an aerial photo/ video business, and realize the need to step up with better equipment. Seems the I2 is the best airframe option, but I'm wondering about the camera...the X5S is steep pricing compared to the X4S.. question is the $1200.00 more the best idea? I plan to do real estate, weddings, construction inspection. I live in WI, so I'm not planning to film any Hollywood movies, and would use the on board SD memory rather than the other cinema formats which if I understand correctly you need to spend another 1k to use. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Sent from my iPhone using InspirePilots

I'm looking for an opinion here also...I'm currently operating a P3P, just passed my part 107 test. I'm planning to start an aerial photo/ video business, and realize the need to step up with better equipment. Seems the I2 is the best airframe option, but I'm wondering about the camera...the X5S is steep pricing compared to the X4S.. question is the $1200.00 more the best idea? I plan to do real estate, weddings, construction inspection. I live in WI, so I'm not planning to film any Hollywood movies, and would use the on board SD memory rather than the other cinema formats which if I understand correctly you need to spend another 1k to use. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

One thing that will help you decide if the extra $1200 is worth it is interchangeable lenses. The X4S comes with a fixed lens and the X5S has interchangeable lenses. The upside of that is the flexibility to change the look of your shots dramatically based on your choice of lens you are going to fly...with that flexibility comes the cost of getting the lenses you want to be able to use. Of course you can always add to your lens collection later and the lenses can work on other cameras you may get down the road too if you stay with a Micro 4/3 camera or have an adapter to use them on something else. DJI is working on a new ground option for the cameras so if you use the camera on the ground for anything (think Osmo or Ronin style) having the ability to use different lenses may become even more important. If you have any more questions just ask - as soon as they are available we will be doing some comparisons and let some of our local users try them out and provide some feedback. And certainly if you decide to get something we would love to help with that too.

Thanks for your help!! Greatly appreciated. I have another question...would you recommend the DJI lense on the X5S to start with or order camera body only and pick a different lense?

Well, sometimes it takes just a little bit longer to get them without the lens (most packages include the lens and DJI is fulfilling all the premium packages first). But, if you read about the DJI 15mm lens, most people think it is OK, but it has experienced some purple fringing and other chromatic aberrations. People that are more critical of their photos and videos have shied away from it more than the other lenses. I am not sure on exactly what the issue stems from - most of us are guessing the coatings on it. The Olympus 12mm, 17mm, 25mm and 45mm have all been very good performing lenses on X5R cameras for us. I expect them to be equally as good on the X5S. I have to try any of the new lenses approved for the X5S but you will be able to read reviews on them from lots of other people who have used them on other M4/3 cameras.

Reactions: SanCap
Hi everyone. Really would like to upgrade from P4 to I2. Not sure the cost will meet with the approval of the home management (wife). Certainly not the whole shebang with the nice lens and super ssd etc - and premium cost - at least not initially.

Herein lies the question: the package that DJI is selling with ProRes and Cinema DNG licenses, the super SSD and better lens, if I DON't get them, am I selling myself way short?

I live in the north (cold) weather; it gets really windy at times; and I like to shoot during the golden hours; so I could really use the heated batteries,better flight dynamics and greater dynamic range.
Do I pull the trigger on the "lesser version" of the I2 or wait?

KranMc, how do you plan to use the copter (photos, video, etc). Some of your use may determine what I would recommend but I'll take a stab at a basic I2 system vs I1 Pro or anything else you would be considering.

One thing that caught my attention in your original post was the windy conditions you will sometimes need to fly in. While the Inspire 1 has proven to be a very capable machine, it was originally built before the X5 camera system. As you know there are 2 versions of the Inspire 1 v1 and v2. V2 was modified with different motors and ESCs. The motors have a higher KV (RPM per volt) so the same battery voltage spins the motor faster and generates a little more lift and payload carrying ability. This was a good improvement for X5 users. The X5R is heavier than an X5 (it has the RAW video recording system on the camera). While we have flown the X5R under a v1 Inspire, it feels under powered in the wind. We had a client up in the Boston area just experience the same thing with a v1 - got the wind warning and also the propulsion system warning and the copter began to drift without being able to hold its position in the wind. I think a v2 Inspire with an X5 camera would do well for you - it might bounce around in the wind a little more than you like, but the camera tends to remain very stable. If you go Inspire 1 I would consider that route.

If you think you can get an Inspire 2, you could definitely start with the basic I2 and put on a X4S camera. The copter is $3K and the camera is $600. You would be able to record on an SD card and could avoid all the other costs associated with RAW, ProRes, SSDs, etc. Your upgrade paths are good from here. Since your camera cost was not too bad, if you decide to upgrade to the X5S you can sell your X4S and probably get a decent part of your money back. You can get the X5S for $1400 without the stock DJI lens or for $1900 with the stock lens. In an upgrade situation like this I might go for the one without the lens - saving $500 and pick the lens (or lenses) that you think will work well for you. You can always find other people selling them if you wanted to pick up a couple used ones...these lenses are used on lots of Micro 4/3 cameras.

Finally, if you are loving the X5S you can add the licenses on 1 at a time (get ProRes for great quality video files - or RAW for the best quality - or both). I think you can get the ProRes license for $500 and your video quality would be a nice improvement from an X5 on and Inspire 1.

Finally, while I have not gotten to fly an Inspire 2 yet, I expect it to be substantially better than an Inspire 1. Its heavier, more powerful, uses larger props, has more redundancy and like a much improved flight controller as well as all the sensors, etc.

Summary: Inspire 1 Pro (Inspire 1 v2 + X5 + DJI lens) current retail price $3400
Inspire 2 plus X4S (Inspire 2 + X4S and fixed 24mm lens) $3600
Inspire 2 plus X5S (Inspire 2 + X5S and no lens) $4400 - you would need to pick up a lens or two.

Hope this helps get you thinking a little. If you have any more questions, reply back (others may benefit as well) or shoot me a PM to discuss offline. Of course when you get ready to make a purchase, keep www.FloridaDroneSupply.com in mind. We have everything ordered and premium combos arriving as soon as next week.

Last edited:

An Inspire 1 Pro with the Olympus 12, 25 and 45mm lenses will do exactly what you are asking for without spending the extra cash for an Inspire 2.

Reactions: KranMc
Wow - thanks everyone for your replies! Especially Florida Drone Supply. Great analysis. The bird would be intended for a small side business. I really like the idea of the better flight platforms of the I2 and V2. Especially like the heated batteries concept as I've already had battery warnings flying my P4 this winter. Longer duration of flight important, too. Decisions!

Another Question- with Inspire 1 and the other lenses - did others have to rig special weights or balance the rigs for the gimbal to level out or was that just the first versions of the X5?

Wow - thanks everyone for your replies! Especially Florida Drone Supply. Great analysis. The bird would be intended for a small side business. I really like the idea of the better flight platforms of the I2 and V2. Especially like the heated batteries concept as I've already had battery warnings flying my P4 this winter. Longer duration of flight important, too. Decisions!

Another Question- with Inspire 1 and the other lenses - did others have to rig special weights or balance the rigs for the gimbal to level out or was that just the first versions of the X5?

We have been just fine with those lenses on the X5R. Some needed brass rings or clear UV filters in the front for proper balancing. If you were using an ND filter that took care of it too.

And yes, with a single battery in the Inspire 1 and the heavier camera (X5R being a little worse the the X5 due to weight) flight times were definitely reduced. Some under 15 minutes depending on how low you fly your batteries. And the v1 is a little less than a v2.

Florida Drone Supply - do you have a YouTube channel?

Sorry, we don't. When we are contracted for retail filming, commercials, etc that is done by a different group. We are producing a series of "Up and running" tutorials for our clients for product support and have had items in studio photography and had some green screen flying done. With all the new products being released we are hoping to have things edited and published for clients in late January or February.

Reactions: Phatzo

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool