Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Experiences with 256GB Micro SD

Reaction score
So I ran out of cards recently on a shoot and only had a 256gb micro sd sandisk extreme card handy. Decided to try it out and had absolutely no problems recording to it. I know that 128gb cards are the max that are officially supported by DJI, but has anyone actually had a problem with a 256gb card?
Did some searching and couldn't find anything. Feedback appreciated. Thanks!

Inspire 2 (latest firmware)
X5S camera
Recording H.264 to Micro SD

Last edited:
Reactions: Phillip DeVore
Hi. Have you managed to “fill” the card to capacity? Just wondering if it will get to 128 and then “not see” the remaining space.
Take care. Peter

Reactions: Phillip DeVore
Yes, filled the card at nearly 250gb with no issue.
Interesting...certainly something to bear in mind if you’re ever in the position of needing a large amount of storage (I believe 4K eats up memory space). Thanks for that. Take care. Peter

Interesting...certainly something to bear in mind if you’re ever in the position of needing a large amount of storage (I believe 4K eats up memory space). Thanks for that. Take care. Peter
A 256GB micro SD is overkill. Of course if its all you've got, it's nice to know it will work. But even a 64GB micro SD card holds over 80 minutes of 4k video at the most space hungry video setting available on the X5S, more at all the other settings. Given that this is 4x the typical flight time for a set of I2 batteries, that's more than enough space, even if you are mixing 4k video and stills in a flight.

And I don't recommend using the same card across multiple flights, especially if you are doing commercial work. I store away the card I just used after each flight, in case something happens on the next flight. I've never actually had this save me from losing any work, but one of these days something is bound to happen. People do lose their drones, especially if they are doing long flights or flying over areas where retrieving a downed drone is difficult or impossible (which I do often on commercial shoots). Cards do fail. Just my 2c.

Reactions: P. J.
A 256GB micro SD is overkill. Of course if its all you've got, it's nice to know it will work. But even a 64GB micro SD card holds over 80 minutes of 4k video at the most space hungry video setting available on the X5S, more at all the other settings. Given that this is 4x the typical flight time for a set of I2 batteries, that's more than enough space, even if you are mixing 4k video and stills in a flight.

And I don't recommend using the same card across multiple flights, especially if you are doing commercial work. I store away the card I just used after each flight, in case something happens on the next flight. I've never actually had this save me from losing any work, but one of these days something is bound to happen. People do lose their drones, especially if they are doing long flights or flying over areas where retrieving a downed drone is difficult or impossible (which I do often on commercial shoots). Cards do fail. Just my 2c.
Hi, thanks for that David. I have no experience with 4K and wasn’t aware that 64GB would hold that much.
Good advice re using multiple cards, I shall get hold of a few more.
Take care. Peter

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klrshopfitters