Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

FAA RPIC/Part 107 . . . they don't "Expire"

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff Member
Reaction score
This topic is possibly the one I get the most comments and Private Messages about so I thought I'd do a Write-Up so others can read and hopefully get a better (more accurate) understanding of this topic that causes so much confusion.

Your RPIC/Part 107 (and Pilots License for that matter) don't expire. You merely go out of "Currency". This applies to Part 107 as well as other "FAA Credentials" but for the most part I'm focused on Part 107 and PPL.

"Currency" merely means you have met the criteria set forth by the agency to be able to exercise the privileges of the credential. Many things can lead to loss of currency such as:
  • Medical Condition
  • Required Test/Training

Your RPIC/Part 107 is good (if all over things remain constant) until the END of the MONTH 24 months after you become Current. It's the END of the MONTH that so many people don't understand so let's dig into that one.

In regards to RPIC/Part 107 (not Part 61) you become Current by taking/passing the initial test at a testing facility. The day you pass the test is when you become "Current". Let's assume you take and pass your initial test TODAY, March 1st, 2021. So you are good to exercise Part 107 privileges until the END of the Month 24 months after March 1st, 2021. This means you are good to fly (assuming all other things remain constant) until Mart 31st, 2023. On April 1sr, 2023 you fall our of Currency and are not allowed to utilize your Part 107 until you again "become Current".

If you took and passed your initial test or did whatever was required to become Current on Feb 14th, 2019, you were good to fly up until Feb 28th, 2021 (yesterday). As of MIDNIGHT last night your Currency lapsed and you'll have to do whatever is currently required to Become Current before you can fly under Part 107 again. Your Part 107 didn't expire, you're just no longer CURRENT.

* It's important to note that even though your RPIC doesn't expire, it can be REVOKED by the FAA.

Hopefully this will help shed some light on this "Grey Area" which seems to confuse so many.

This topic is possibly the one I get the most comments and Private Messages about so I thought I'd do a Write-Up so others can read and hopefully get a better (more accurate) understanding of this topic that causes so much confusion.

Your RPIC/Part 107 (and Pilots License for that matter) don't expire. You merely go out of "Currency". This applies to Part 107 as well as other "FAA Credentials" but for the most part I'm focused on Part 107 and PPL.

"Currency" merely means you have met the criteria set forth by the agency to be able to exercise the privileges of the credential. Many things can lead to loss of currency such as:
  • Medical Condition
  • Required Test/Training

Your RPIC/Part 107 is good (if all over things remain constant) until the END of the MONTH 24 months after you become Current. It's the END of the MONTH that so many people don't understand so let's dig into that one.

In regards to RPIC/Part 107 (not Part 61) you become Current by taking/passing the initial test at a testing facility. The day you pass the test is when you become "Current". Let's assume you take and pass your initial test TODAY, March 1st, 2021. So you are good to exercise Part 107 privileges until the END of the Month 24 months after March 1st, 2021. This means you are good to fly (assuming all other things remain constant) until Mart 31st, 2023. On April 1sr, 2023 you fall our of Currency and are not allowed to utilize your Part 107 until you again "become Current".

If you took and passed your initial test or did whatever was required to become Current on Feb 14th, 2019, you were good to fly up until Feb 28th, 2021 (yesterday). As of MIDNIGHT last night your Currency lapsed and you'll have to do whatever is currently required to Become Current before you can fly under Part 107 again. Your Part 107 didn't expire, you're just no longer CURRENT.

* It's important to note that even though your RPIC doesn't expire, it can be REVOKED by the FAA.

Hopefully this will help shed some light on this "Grey Area" which seems to confuse so many.
Thanks, that is an excellent explanation and clears up a lot of confusion.

Reactions: BigAl07
If I may play the devils advocate, it may not necessarily be a Part 107 pilot that's always breaking the rules. Granted, I'm sure there's a percentage of them that do but these fools that totally break the law should be grounded forever (if there ever was a way).
If you are not operating COMPLETELY within ~44809 (49 USC 44809: Exception for limited recreational operations of unmanned aircraft) you are by default operating under Part 107. Any small deviation from any portion (except #2 & #7 and those will come online very soon) pierces the protective bubble protecting the operator from all of Part 107. So ANY deviation automatically makes them/you 100% accountable and liable for all of Part 107.

Without an Airmen's Certificate/Rating the most that can be done is Civil Fines (or criminal depending on the infractions) but they can be hefty if the circumstances mandate.

• Medical Condition
  • Required Test/Training

Al,

Has the FAA published a new Knowledge Test Study Guide with the new night operations required knowledge information yet?

Al,

Has the FAA published a new Knowledge Test Study Guide with the new night operations required knowledge information yet?
No sir the new KT, ReCurrency Training, and Associated materials are all scheduled to be released on 4/6/21. I would like to see the study guide etc released earlier but I've seen nothing to indicate that is going to happen.

• Medical Condition
  • Required Test/Training

So if more than 24 months what needs to be done to get current again? Do the whole original testing again?

So if more than 24 months what needs to be done to get current again? Do the whole original testing again?

No just take the Recurrency training and associated online test. Once completed you're current again for the next 24 months.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry