Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

FAQ / Start Here

Reaction score
In lieu of an official FAQ or starting here with the inspire thread, I thought I’d make one. If anyone has anything that needs to be added or edited, comment below and I’ll edit my post. Maybe this will cut down on duplicate threads. Keep in mind this is in no way official and the majority of advice on these has come from forum members and not DJI. I went back a few pages to

Inspire Availability
CopterShop has Inspires available - Updated 1/26
Battery availability
DroneFly has TB47s available - Updated 1/26
No TB48s are available - Updated 1/26

DJI Pilot app for iOS isn’t available
It will be back at some point but in the mean time @Mohan was nice enough to put up a link to the IPA file so you can install it to your iOS device. Here are the instructions.

IPA download for iOS app https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8U9pDC2iKknTDBaZ2szOFJnOWs/view?usp=sharing

Use www.i-funbox.com to install the IPA file (DJI IOS app) from a PC/Mac to your IOS device. (I-funbox is free)

Instructions
1.) download the ipa file to your desktop from : https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8U9pDC2iKknTDBaZ2szOFJnOWs/view?usp=sharing
2.) download and install the ifunbox app on your pc/mac from : www.i-funbox.com
3.) Plug in your iOS device to your pc (do not launch itunes)
4.) launch ifunbox app and click on install app option. Point to ipa file

The above info was taken from the other threads - thanks to the OP

Charging the Battery and Controller at the same time
The manual says don’t do this while the video from DJI says that its fine. Probably safer to stay on the side of caution here.

Travel mode
To exit travel mode from the controller flip the RTF switch 4 times and the legs will come in. You can’t do this on carpet, it has to be a surface where the bottom sensors can read the ground.

Firmware Update
Download the latest firmware update from DJI’s Inspire download page, put the .bin file on to the MicroSD card and then put it in the camera while having it attached to the inspire. Make sure your controller and app are on first as you’ll need to confirm the ability to start the firmware update. After the update has finished, take the MicroSD card and hook it in to your remote controller’s USB port through a card reader. That approach didn’t work for me but putting a MicroUSB cable from the camera to the controller worked. The instructions don’t explicitly state it but the gimbal needs to be connected to the inspire and powered on.

IMU Calibration
After your firmware is updated and before you fly you’ll need to do an IMU Calibration. It is not necessary to calibrate the IMU before each flight. You can access this hitting the mode button on the app beside the home button, scrolling to advanced settings, sensors and then IMU Calibration at the bottom. Keep the calibration away from anything that might cause a magnetic disturbance such as rebar in cement or even your cell phone.Your mod values should be as follows: Gyroscope - 0.00 (0.01 variation) | Acceleration - 1.00 (0.01 variation) | Compass - 1400 - 1600

Prop Locks
Supposedly DJI will begin shipping them soon to people who ordered directly and the DJI distributors will make them available to their customers shortly thereafter. DJI recommends that you don’t fly as the props may come off in certain (but unlikely) conditions.

When you do get them here's an installation video.

Tablet compatibility
Any iOS device with an A7 Processor or above will work. Not sure which Android tablets do or do not work but this is the official list from DJI Samsung S4, S5, Note 3, P900 tablet, Sony Z3 EXPERIA, Google Nexus 7 II, Mi 3, Nubia Z7 mini..

The space on the inspire controller is 170mm so check the tech specs on your tablet to see if it will fit.

Gain Settings

Factory Default Settings, in my view, make the Inspire a little twitchy and instantly responsive to stick inputs. For smoother craft movement I have adjusted my gains by changing yaw to 70% and Atti to 90%. This works for me in getting a more stable platform for video.

Note: Please read the warning at the bottom of the page. I recommend making any value changes 5% at a time, then flying the craft to evaluate handling.

Stick Calibration

It's not a bad idea to calibrate your sticks, especially if you feel that the Inspire seems to be drifting or yawing with un-commanded stick input. Make sure the Inspire is not powered on during calibration. Find stick calibration in the app under the transmitter symbol, RC Control Settings and follow the instructions. Don't forget to deflect the tilt wheel full stop both ways, in addition to the sticks.

While you're in RC Control Settings:

Gimbal Wheel Speed

Gimbal Wheel Speed can be set to your liking by varying from slow to fast. I like slow pans and tilts for a more cinematic look, so I have mine set at 30. Even so, you can ramp up and ramp down the tilt/pan speed when beginning or ending gimbal movement by slowly increasing/decreasing your wheel deflection. A deft hand (left index finger, actually) is required. Pretend you're Spielberg's DP. ;)

Stick Expo Curve

I have throttle and yaw expos set at .30. the lowest setting. This means that deflection is dampened from stick center outward for smooth command inputs, with further travel commanding increasing change. Move it to .70, the most radical, and small stick inputs from center will command quicker change. Set to your preference. Default is .40
Note: Expo for Pitch and Roll on the right stick are not yet available but promised for future FW upgrades.

C1/C2 Buttons

The buttons on the back of the controller (Master for 2 transmitter setups) have many available settings. I find that what works for me is to set C1 at Gimbal Pitch/Yaw ( it's hidden, so scroll up) and C2 at Reset Gimbal Yaw. That way I can switch between tilt and pan function (when they say yaw, it's really panning the camera, not yawing the Inspire craft itself) control for the left side wheel and if I need to snap the camera forward for FPV orientation, I push the C2 button.

Current Firmware Versions - Updated 1/20/15
Gimbal - FW: 01.05 - Loader 01.00
Center Board - FW: 02.03 - Loader 03.00
Air Encoder - FW: 01.10 - Loader 01.00
Air OFDM - FW: 01.03 - Loader 03.00
Ground Decoder - FW 01.03 - Loader 01.00
Camera - FW 01.03
Main Controller - FW 01.15 - Loader 34.01
Ground OFDM - FW 01.03 - Loader 02.00
Battery 03.00 - Loader 02.06

-----

Anyone have anything to add that isn't directly addressed in one of the DJI videos that people would have questions on?

Last edited:
I thought these might help:

Gain Settings

Factory Default Settings, in my view, make the Inspire a little twitchy and instantly responsive to stick inputs. For smoother craft movement I have adjusted my gains by changing yaw to 70% and Atti to 90%. This works for me in getting a more stable platform for video.

Note: Please read the warning at the bottom of the page. I recommend making any value changes 5% at a time, then flying the craft to evaluate handling.

Note: Since I posted this several FW updates ago, I have decided to update my post. I have now returned all my basic gain settings to default 100%. There is a new "Brake" adjustment that will allow you to adjust how aggressively to have the Inspire brake movement when centering the right stick. Same for the "Attitude" setting. This seems a more appropriate way to control flight aggressiveness. Go to MC Settings, then Gain and Expo Tuning.

Stick Calibration

It's not a bad idea to calibrate your sticks, especially if you feel that the Inspire seems to be drifting or yawing with un-commanded stick input. Make sure the Inspire is not powered on during calibration. Find stick calibration in the app under the transmitter symbol, RC Control Settings and follow the instructions. Don't forget to deflect the tilt wheel full stop both ways, in addition to the sticks.

Gimbal Wheel Speed

Gimbal Wheel Speed can be set to your liking by varying from slow to fast. I like slow pans and tilts for a more cinematic look, so I have mine set at 30. Even so, you can ramp up and ramp down the tilt/pan speed when beginning or ending gimbal movement by slowly increasing/decreasing your wheel deflection. A deft hand (left index finger, actually) is required. Pretend you're Spielberg's DP. ;)

Stick Expo Curve

I have throttle and yaw expos set at .30. the lowest setting. This means that deflection is dampened from stick center outward for smooth command inputs, with further travel commanding increasing change. Move it to .70, the most radical, and small stick inputs from center will command quicker change. Set to your preference. Default is .40

Same for pitch and roll modes on the right stick.

C1/C2 Buttons

The buttons on the back of the controller (Master for 2 transmitter setups) have many available settings. I find that what works for me is to set C1 at Gimbal Pitch/Yaw ( it's hidden, so scroll up) and C2 at Reset Gimbal Yaw. That way I can switch between tilt and pan function (when they say yaw, it's really panning the camera, not yawing the Inspire craft itself) control for the left side wheel and if I need to snap the camera forward for FPV orientation, I push the C2 button.

Dual Controllers

When using dual controller mode, I had some issues with the set-up for the camera operator, which I was able to solve as explained below.

To set up the camera gimbal control, go to the controller symbol on the slave controller, select RC control settings, then stick mode. The default setting are pan control on the left stick and pitch control on the right. Not what I consider ideal, but to each his own. It's also possible to use Custom mode to use only one stick (either right or left, your choice) for a combination movement with one stick, which I prefer. Just drag the desired movement to the desired stick position. I didn't like how quickly the gimbal moved though with a given stick deflection.

It may have there all along, but not until I upgraded my iOS app to v1.0.2 did I notice this: When selecting Custom drag the desired stick input to the desired position. This reveals a grey box called Gimbal speed, which will then allow one to reveal a set of sliders that allow one to slow down the rate of change for pitch, roll and yaw. I found an ideal set-up for me with 40 for pitch and roll, and 50 for yaw. The gimbal movements are much easier to change smoothly and it's possible to ramp up and ramp down precisely.

Dual Controllers (C1/C2)

C1 and C2 buttons on the back of the Slave Controller can be set up to the camera operators liking. My preference is to set C1 to Gimbal Free/Follow and C2 to Advanced Camera Settings. Experiment with what works best for you as the camera operator, just be aware that they are available.

Last edited:
I'll be moderating this thread - let's keep it clean. If you have something to add please send a message to jonathnsmith with your requested info.

Reactions: Jenn348
Could we possibly do something with video settings.For example in bright light or dim light settings?

Updated with current firmware numbers.
Just a note about updating the remote control firmware. I just put the firmware file on a USB stick and plugged it into the remote controller and then did the update. It was way easier than plugging a USB cable into the camera as it moves around with the cable connected.

Adam, jonathnsmith I am re-posting this from member Figbar. I think it is a worthy addition to this thread as a sticky:

Check List...

Here is what I have come up with...this is just my take...hopefully will help me be more focused. I also put this on the thread that talks about a Check List. Sorry this is so long, but I wanted to explain my thinking while I came up with this list. There is a condensed check list of this at the end of my post.

INSPIRE CHECK LIST (AS OF 2.2.15)

BEFORE I LEAVE TO FLY – IN MY HANGAR (OFFICE)

In general, I like to keep my Inspire ready to go. This basically means that I have all batteries charged, maps loaded on my iPad Air, and my camera set to the default settings I normally shoot with. I always keep my card in the camera formatted without any files on it. (I keep Cache Maps switch to on position – APP settings)

Before I leave to shoot, I check my IMU Calibration, the Mod values…to make sure they are where they need to be.

(Mode / Advanced Settings / Sensors / 3 Mod Readouts on right…stacked above each other)

Gyroscope Mod – 0.00

Acceleration (g) Mod – .99 to 1.01

Compass Mod – Mod – 1400 to 1600

(note: maybe this needs to be done before I take off each time?)

If I’m shooting in town or anywhere I’m able to drive, I have my Inspire already set up with camera mounted and my iPad Air already mounted on my remote control with improvised sun shade attached. I put the Inspire and Remote in my car already set up.

I drive a Honda CRV and have “compartments” set up in the flat, rear section of the car so the Inspire and remote can travel securely. I keep the case in this back compartment as well with anything else I will need for multiple flights, recharging, etc.

I also give some thought to the overall logistics concerning the locations in which I’m shooting. What are weather conditions (wind), when is the best time to shoot, where will the sun be, do I need to consider people or traffic present, what would be a good safe place to take off and land, what shots do I have in mind when I take off. Do I need to get permission to do this shooting?

CHECK LIST(with explanations) - based on flying with GPS control…which is all I want to do.

1- Find a Good Take-off / Landing Area…flat, free of obstructions, people, possible radio interference. (really important when people/ traffic are around)

2- Check Props - make sure they are nice and snug - by hand. (No prop-locks yet)

3- Check Camera Filter - ND or regular, depending on sunlight. (easy to forget)

4- Turn on Remote Control, iPad Air also turns on at this time. Confirm your remote is charged…4 white lights on lower face of remote.

5- Confirm your Tablet Battery is Charged.

6- On your tablet/monitor Settings, Turn on airplane mode or confirm you are in Airplane mode.

7- Make sure Flight Mode Switch is in the P Position – Flight Mode – P-Atti. GPS Control. (3 position silver switch on the left rear of the remote - put it on P)

8- Turn on the Inspire.

9- Turn on the Pilot App…select the Camera Icon…Confirm that the BASICS ARE CORRECT on the Aircraft State Screen. Flight Mode, (P-Atti) – RC Mode (Mode 2) – Aircraft Battery (fully charged?). RC Battery (good charge?).

10- Perform a COMPASS CALIBRATION. Do this every time before you fly and when you move to a new location. Do this in an area that is free of metal objects…sidewalks are not good because they have iron rebar underneath.

Calibration - Press the compass calibration “button” on your APP. A Yellow Light should come on at the rear of the craft. Hold the Inspire horizontally in front of you and make a slow 360 circle….wait for a solid green light… then turn the Inspire vertically in your hands in front of you and make another 360 circle.

At this point, you can set the Inspire back in the take-off area you have designated.

11- Confirm on-screen that you have GPS Control. You should have white solid bars next to the satellite icon on the top of the screen on the APP. (# of satellites are not visible anymore on the APP). The light on the rear of the craft should be Blinking Green. There should be a message at the top of the screen that says Safe To Fly-GPS Control. (The video DJI just put out on :”How to Fly” says you should look for a blinking purple light to confirm GPS control – this is not correct)

12- Confirm the Gimbal Mode you want to be in on the APP…left hand side of screen…I prefer the Follow Mode. (need to do more experimenting here)

13- Do a quick Map Check on your APP monitor to make sure the Inspire Icon matches the home base you have just established with calibration…go back camera mode after you do this.

14- Check and Confirm Camera settings…auto iris, white balance, shooting resolution, frame rate, (I’ve been mostly in auto mode for iris and white balance…will be doing more in the manual mode as I get more comfortable)

15- Stand Behind the Inspire for take-off. Do a final check to make sure people are clear…if people are standing too close, ask them to stand back. (I feel more comfortable standing behind the Inspire…not totally necessary, but this helps me)

16- Take Off and Hover 8-10 feet or so, initially. (I prefer taking off manually)

Let the craft hover for 30 seconds or so close to you…do a quick status check on your monitor to make sure everything is in order…GPS control, battery levels. Check the blinking light status on the rear of the craft…Blinking Green. (This is a double check)

17- Raise the Landing Gear. (I have forgotten to do this several times)

18- Go fly. Get Your Shots. Be safe and have fun. I won’t fly with the craft out of my sight line. Don’t fly above 400 feet. Use common sense…don’t fly low over a bunch of people or traffic. Don’t fly near the White House. Don’t take off next to a freeway like the idiots did from OctoFilms, demoing a Beta version of the Inspire for You Tube.

19- CONSTANTLY CHECK INSPIRE BATTERY LEVELS AS YOU FLY. Make sure you have enough battery to return in plenty of time. (30% warning level set on your APP)

20- When you Land, Turn the Inspire Off First…then your turn off the remote control unit.

PRE FLIGHT CHECK LIST – CONSOLIDATED

1______CHOSE A GOOD TAKE-OFF LANDING PLACE

2______CHECK PROPS

3______CHECK CAMERA FILTER

4______TURN ON REMOTE CONTROL

5______CHECK TABLET BATTERY LEVEL

6______TURN ON AIRPLANE MODE ON TABLET

7______FLIGHT MODE SWITCH IN P POSITION ( P - ATTI)

8______TURN ON INSPIRE

9______TURN ON PILOT APP – CONFIRM BASICS ON SCREEN

_______FLIGHT MODE (P-ATTI)

_______AIRCRAFT BATTERY CHARGED

_______RC BATTERY CHARGED

10______CALIBRATE COMPASS

11______CONFIRM GPS CONTROL

_______APP SCREEN - SATELLITE BARS FULL

_______APP SCREEN – SAFE TO FLY (GPS CONTROL)

_______INSPIRE REAR LIGHT BLINKING GREEN

12______CONFIRM GIMBAL MODE ON APP (FOLLOW, for me)

13______MAP CHECK – AIRPLANE ICON AT HOME BASE?

14______CHECK AND CONFIRM CAMERA SETTINGS

15______STAND BEHIND INSPIRE

16______TAKE OFF – HOVER – FINAL CHECK OF BATTERY LEVELS, GPS CONTROL

17______RAISE LANDING GEAR

18______FLY SAFELY, SHOOT. CONSTANT BATTERY CHECK – ALLOW TIME TO RETURN

It would be great if all the abbreviations related to quadcopters and inspire1 could be explained here too.

Last edited:
Reactions: John Archer
Is there any possibility of a 2nd "pilot's" camera being added, so the pilot can see where the drone is going rather than the video camera view?

Anyone know anything about this?

FPV camera not likely to be added, unless you fit one of your own, with all the issues that might produce.

FPV camera not likely to be added, unless you fit one of your own, with all the issues that might produce.
You mean as in interfering with other frequencies? I may just be chasing a problem that doesn't exist. I think the best thing to do is to try it and see. I haven't seen complaints about this, though I have seen others requesting a pilot camera.

I thought these might help:

Gain Settings

Stick Calibration

Gimbal Wheel Speed

Stick Expo Curve

Note: Expo for Pitch and Roll on the right stick are not yet available but promised for future FW upgrades.

C1/C2 Buttons

So I am asking you, "Quadpilot" cause I like your answers usually. anyone chime in here though.
I was doing some test flights today of my new inspire. something I noticed was how abruptly the quad reacts when letting go of the sticks. for instance. Let's say I am cruising along relatively slowly around 5-8 mph and in a forward flight attitude, if I let go of the forward stick, it's as if the GPS tries to stop the quad so quickly so that it doesn't continue in the same direction long after I let go of the stick that it abruptly jerks the quad in the opposite direction to get the forward movement stopped and then since it acted so abruptly to stop it with the opposite commands, it has to jerk back in the other direction to counteract this first correction. It makes the I1 look crazy and slightly like it's our of control until it has full gotten the quad to stop it's movement in whatever direction it was going and is finally holding steady in one spot! This is SUPER odd to me, since with my DJI Phantoms, whenever I would let go of the stick, it would take a certain amount of time with it's corrections to come to a nice smooth, slow stop, instead of trying to stop dead in it's tracks as soon as the sticks are released. So what's going on? is this just normal operation with the GPS on the I1, or is my GPS reacting too quickly, and if so, what do I do to fix this issue in order for the quad to come to a smoother, more stable stop???

Thanks!

-Clint

Is that a good thing? To me it looks like the I1 is going to lose control! It tilts backwards so fast and so drastically and then jerks forward to overcompensate, I just thought this seemed so different from how my phantoms acted when coming to a stop!

Is that a good thing? To me it looks like the I1 is going to lose control! It tilts backwards so fast and so drastically and then jerks forward to overcompensate, I just thought this seemed so different from how my phantoms acted when coming to a stop!

It is the way the Inspire flies. Comparing the Inspire to the Phantom is like a Porsche to a Yugo. Rather that just quickly releasing the sticks to center try to ease them back. A little fitness goes a long way.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool