Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Filming with no arms on i2?

Reaction score
Hi, everyone I don't own and inspire but I am thinking about purchasing an i2. I'm starting a company and don't have a lot of money to buy equipment. So my question is can you film with no arms on an i2 to make it more like a regular camera? It seemed to me form pictures that the whole middle arm-lift unit comes out and you could just have the body and gimbal to film with. However I don't know if theres are telemetry parts in the arms that would keep the systems from functioning properly when removed. Would it even turn on? I'm not afraid to modify things. It would make it a much more viable solution for me. If anyone has turned on an inspire2 with no arms and can tell what happens that would be really helpful too.

Thanks - Rory

What are you trying to do? Use a camera with a stabilator gimbal system? If so, why not skip the whole kill a drone thing and get an Osmo or something similar? I don’t understand why you’d want to ground an expensive drone by removing a quintessential part(s) to film with it.

I can't see it being easy to do given all the wiring to the motors and LED's in the arms that is sensed by the electronics in the body on starting it up.

You'd be better off looking at the I1 since the cameras on it can be used in the Osmo as a handheld unit. The I2 doesn't allow for that since the body has most of the camera electronics and the pricey licensed chip. I doubt they will make an Osmo for it as the cost of the licensed chip and camera electronics would make it more expensive than a normal camera on a gimbal mount given DJI's high prices on their cameras (i.e. The X7 is second most pricey APC-sized camera out there next to a Leica even having a gimbal but excluding the camera's guts too.). Personally, I'd put a Panasonic camera on a gimbal rather than deal with a DJI product and of questionable quality and operation issues(e.g. firmware/software/licensing.) too, imho.

I can't see it being easy to do given all the wiring to the motors and LED's in the arms that is sensed by the electronics in the body on starting it up.

You'd be better off looking at the I1 since the cameras on it can be used in the Osmo as a handheld unit. The I2 doesn't allow for that since the body has most of the camera electronics and the pricey licensed chip. I doubt they will make an Osmo for it as the cost of the licensed chip and camera electronics would make it more expensive than a normal camera on a gimbal mount given DJI's high prices on their cameras (i.e. The X7 is second most pricey APC-sized camera out there next to a Leica even having a gimbal but excluding the camera's guts too.). Personally, I'd put a Panasonic camera on a gimbal rather than deal with a DJI product and of questionable quality and operation issues(e.g. firmware/software/licensing.) too, imho.

This is good advice above, I have an I2, P4P, a Yuneec H520, and an OSMO PROand a Panasonic G85, from a value point of view, you can do a lot of work with the P4P. (unless you fly when is really cold.... or where it is really windy).

After having all this gear, if you learn how to use it, you can do a lot with the P4P and a good micro four thirds camera.

I like the I2, but it had not really paid for itself yet....

Hi Rory, welcome to InspirePilots. Removing the arms can be done but would be highly discouraged given the complexity of the aircraft and warranty void that would result doing so. We do have clients that have done tear downs on crashed I2 aircraft for them to function as handheld units with no arms and many other wild production gigs. You would be best off getting a set of Inspire 2 Handheld Grips to use the I2 for handheld operations.

its still reasonably priced in my opinion, definitely not the second most expensive. ursa 4.6 is 5 gs for just the body its super 35 as well

Last edited:
Thank you! great video, was the shot around 54 seconds in of the fireplace where you change the focus done with an inspire, or is that the auto focus or post production? Which camera was that recorded on?

Thank you! I manually focused that particular shot using the X5S and an Oly 45mm. Everything else was shot using an Oly 12mm lens.

I know it's limited but I use my Inspire 2 for ground videos as well. Here's an example.

Nice work. I also use the I2 in conjunction with my GH4. If this is the direction that you are going to continue in, I highly recommend getting one of these as well. I can’t do with out mine. Not just for filming, but for keeping it up off the ground in mud of sandy areas, etc.

6393A5D7-1BF6-41FE-82AB-5F1E3251F999.jpeg

Nice work. I also use the I2 in conjunction with my GH4. If this is the direction that you are going to continue in, I highly recommend getting one of these as well. I can’t do with out mine. Not just for filming, but for keeping it up off the ground in mud of sandy areas, etc.

View attachment 18596
PS. Check your sensor. You appear to have a small spot of dust all the way at the bottom about half way from the middle to camera left.

View attachment 18596

That is awesome! Can you tell me where you got that from?

I am saving up for a G5 and plan on getting a Ronin S but in the meantime, your got to do what you got to do.

That is awesome! Can you tell me where you got that from?

I am saving up for a G5 and plan on getting a Ronin S but in the meantime, your got to do what you got to do.
It’s only $90 and very well made. The link to that and a lot of other cool things is in this forum. Tripod Clamp for Inspire 2 X5S
Also I have been shooting a lot with GH5 and trust me you will not be disappointed

I have only used (borrowed) the ikan MS-PRO. I too am awaiting the Ronnin S, but like all DJI products, I am going to be patient and see what kind of initial reviews it gets. Also, the Ikan is less than $350 US. I have a feeling that the DJI product will be far more (and probably do more) but we will see.

Hi, everyone I don't own and inspire but I am thinking about purchasing an i2. I'm starting a company and don't have a lot of money to buy equipment. So my question is can you film with no arms on an i2 to make it more like a regular camera? It seemed to me form pictures that the whole middle arm-lift unit comes out and you could just have the body and gimbal to film with. However I don't know if theres are telemetry parts in the arms that would keep the systems from functioning properly when removed. Would it even turn on? I'm not afraid to modify things. It would make it a much more viable solution for me. If anyone has turned on an inspire2 with no arms and can tell what happens that would be really helpful too.

Thanks - Rory
Your idea doesn’t make any sense! Just like the other man said buy yourself an Osmo system for what you’re trying to do. You would be wasting your money on buying the I2 if all you were going to do is use it for a camera. It’s made to be up in the air and take shots/videos in that way.

Reactions: licensed pilot
Sorry but I've been reading this thread and really don't understand what this guy is suggesting! On the one hand the original poster says he is short of money but Why would you pay £4000+ for the I2 with the X5s and when it comes down to it an extra thousand pounds for lenses when you are not going to use it's fulcapability? Where is the sense in that!

You could get the Panasonic GH4 and Zhiyun Crane stabiliser for £1100 at the maximum and have a very good DSLR set up.

Why buy one of the most expensive drone on the market and then cannibalise it! Why isn't everyone else saying this to him! Some of you are saying yes it's possible but why? I would have thought everybody would say" what the hell are you thinking!"

Last edited:
Reactions: licensed pilot
Apples and oranges my friend. There is nothing on the market even close to that price range that has what the I2 has for an independent filmmaker or video professional. Think about it for the money you get a fantastic camera that can be held, mounted on a tripod or the hood of a car, it comes with one of the finest stabilization systems that I have ever used, every setting on the camera can be operated remotely, you get wireless camera control of tilt and pan, you can pull focus remotely, no cables are needed for your video monitors. And speaking of video monitors if you have virtually any smart device made you don’t need to buy a high res monitor, and the there’s the fact that it shoots 422 and 4444XQ not to mention unlike any camera on the market in its price range it shoots a raw format that rivals an ARRI ALEXA mini. Oh yea and, I heard it can even fly!! Seriously, all that for only $6,000? A bargain if you ask me. If DJI can figure out how to build an Osmo that is compatible with the x5s and the SSD system, I am selling my other cameras.

My 2 cents...

Last edited:
Reactions: AerialPerceptions

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klrshopfitters