Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Finally filming in 5k, is AE my only option for post?

Reaction score
So I have not dropped 1k on Resolve yet to run the RAW through, so I suppose that AE is my only option. I am filming in LOG 5k with the ISO locked at 500. I have the C5D LUTs but I am unsure as the workflow using them if I film in LOG. Any advice?

Thanks!

Hi Jeb,

The Free version Resolve works very well for 5K RAW footage. If you need 5K output you will need to upgrade to the paid version but if your intention is to deliver in 4K you will want to open an Ultra HD timeline and edit away. I have switched to working with RAW only (almost always 5K) and Free resolve manages it brilliantly with no conversion. Just open and edit.

I would like to output 5k, so I am letting AE run right now. Probably take a day at least.

So, when you film in LOG, what is your work flow in resolve?

Hi Jeb,

This is an older link but it might be helpful. Formats Explained - HD Video Pro

LOG Gamma is very different from RAW (Cinema DNG in our case). Your highest quality footage will be in Cinema DNG (no LOG setting) and will be cleanest and maintain the largest dynamic range at the lowest ISO (100).

Last edited:
Man... I have some of this rendered. It is pretty grainy. Actually looks pretty bad. Why would anyone use LOG? That 500 ISO really muddies everything up.

Hi Jeb,

DJI has not made it clear what the "LOG" option even does when shooting Cinema DNG (RAW). As above, RAW and LOG are very different beasts. I haven't played with that setting at all. Limiting RAW to ISO 500? I would suggest against that. By DJI's own info:

Dynamic Range:

s4-item3-p1-a7fba412e2c8de2057dad6ce05dde898.png

SNR 18%:

s4-item3-p2-aa30eecb345155cc2a0193f154111b5e.png

Color Sensitivity:

s4-item3-p3-038e14401fb9325134d1c83a74e9e878.png

FCPx will edit 5K, actually it will edit anything since its resolution agnostic

For the record I hate black magic cameras they are utter garbage. FCPX will natively read a 5.2K image shot in 422HQ ProRes and I believe it will Do the cineraw form the X5S. FCPX has been so optimized for the Mac that's new MacBook Pro has no issue with anything you throw at it camera file wise

Hi AMG,

Possibly someone with FCP and X5S Cinema DNG files can check this but my understanding is that it will not manage RAW yet without a manufacturer plugin or conversion to ProRes. There are numerous threads suggesting that that is the case. Premiere will open Cinema DNG files as well but it is faulty so far and really requires compression first. It works well with RAW files if you compress using SlimRAW and that will allow 5K output. Resolve works amazingly well without conversion or external compression. The free version does have a 4K export limit but it woks wonderfully with the 5K files.

I will check that right now. I have FCPX latest version and a shitload of cinema 5k dng files. Hang on.

Created new FCPX project, drug the containing folder with 1400 5k cinema RAW DNGs. It created 1400 individual photos. I don't think this is a working method.

However, what I find funny is that with REDs plugin I can start editing 6K RED footage instantly. However, DJIs DNGs are a hog.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abseilerstu