Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Firmware Update resulting in crash

I don't think you understand

Mine WONT fly... Period
I've said that before but but you don't seem to comprehend this.
And that IS why I'm irked.

But give me til Monday to offer a more informed response.
I don't think you understand - yes it will.
You have your answer from some of the replies above. Many people have consciously chosen not to update and they are flying just fine (even though the app reports updates are required).
You do not even need a tablet connected or have the DJI Go app running and the Inspire will fly perfectly fine. It's designed that way.
I'm afraid after you have spoken to DJI you will be no more informed than you are now - none of the switchboard operators are techs. None of them have stripped down an Inspire or have flown them almost daily commercially as many on this forum have, myself included. Some of the DJI guys won't even own an Inspire, they are simply working off a script.
Maybe you are getting confused between app updates and firmware updates. If you have automatic updates enabled and your tablet updates the Go app without your knowledge it can report that you must update your firmware as it will not be compatible.
This I'm afraid shows a lack of understanding of the platform and the interplay between the app and the firmware.
Additionally, you could have prevented your crash by switching to P-Atti and thus stopping the badly calibrated compass giving conflicting data for your declination to the GPS in reporting where North is. All of this information can be gleaned from the many informed posts across this forum.
There are very few problems that we have not come across previously and not been able to solve or offer advice on.
You would do well to take some time reading through some posts in this community to familiarise yourself with many tips and advice users have picked up along the way of flying many hundreds of hours of a single platform.

I understand your need to defend DJI since you are the editor and staff member of this forum but why are you here if you've only flown the Inspire a few times?.

He's slated DJI a bunch of times to be honest.
I think he's pretty honest and informed, you'll probably see that as kissing *** though if your tactic for 'winning' a discussion resorts to avoiding truth and logic, and resorting to tarnishing, doubt & suspicion.

I've flown this aircraft for more than 115 successful flights and each time there IS a firmware update the aircraft WILL NOT fly, with a very clear message in the Go app "Firmware Updates Required."
The wording is knowingly bad and "firmware updates required" actually means "firmware updates available", and as mentioned previously there is no problem flying without doing them (exception being what @The Editor explained with the app update).

If you don't update, prior and there is a firmware update... you are grounded. Period.
Again, that's just not how it is. You'd be the only one for whom it behaved that way - which can only point to something else you're missing or doing wrong.

The flight mode is RED "Disconnected" with a not safe to fly message.
Aha, this suggests that you do not fully describe and/or understand the exact state your system is in. Given your "disconnected" message, my understanding of your situation is that when the app informed you of a new firmware being available you just went with it, not understanding that the current upgrade process works like this:
- Remote gets upgraded by app
- Aircraft gets upgraded by downloading the firmware update from the website, extracting the zip on the camera's SD card, and powering up the aircraft.

So when you merrily accepted the update in the app this upgraded your remote but obviously not the aircraft, and as they now have mismatched versions you get no more connection. Perfectly normal, and all it takes at this point is to update the aircraft.

The whole reason NOT to upgrade in the field in any case is precisely that you need a computer, a significant amount of time, and... clear ideas to upgrade both components and make sure all is well.

Whatever gave you the impression I updated minutes before a shoot? I never said that.
That's however exactly what the below quote says?
3. I performed a field operation to update the firmware on the aircraft and camera by directly plugging in the camera to the control and powering it on.
Which you again seem not to understand how it works, the purpose of connecting the remote to the camera was used to upgrade the remote - not the aircraft.

You appear to attack my experience and knowledge
Well I can see why, given that your posts clearly show a lack of understanding of several apects of the system... Maybe it's bad wording or something, but when you post things on a forum people don't know you and can only work from the info you give.

I think you have a comprehension problem, that along with your arrogance will never get you a job in my circles because I no longer respect your opinion.
Sorry but from my point of view with what I can read in what you posted you seem to be the one who thinks he understands more than he does, dismisses others' explanations because your 115 flights make you obviously know better, and who I'd rather not have fly anywhere close to me.
Not knowing something and asking/documenting yourself before doing something is OK, being sure of yourself but with a wrong understanding and not realising/accepting it is as dangerous as it gets.

Last edited:
@Phillip Darlington Sorry for lost Sir, really, it sucks doesn't it, it doesn't help you or your client, and it doesn't help venting, though I understand it, your frustration on here, blame DJI by all means and quite a few on here have cursed DJI including me. BUT........
as @The Editor @Kilrah have stated, albeit sadly, this was your fault for a number of reasons, very good reasons as listed above and yes I've been there, an update, WOHOO, must be better, experience tells me otherwise and no I've not updated yet and fly without problems.

ME; one of the first 12 in the UK to obtain an I1 ( because the US is sooooo greedy :) ) also a UK UAV commercial pilot and over "a mere" 300 flights on the I1 and over 1000 (approx) on DJI products.

Happy New Year!

Reactions: The Editor
I don't think you understand - yes it will.
You have your answer from some of the replies above. Many people have consciously chosen not to update and they are flying just fine (even though the app reports updates are required).
You do not even need a tablet connected or have the DJI Go app running and the Inspire will fly perfectly fine. It's designed that way.
I'm afraid after you have spoken to DJI you will be no more informed than you are now - none of the switchboard operators are techs. None of them have stripped down an Inspire or have flown them almost daily commercially as many on this forum have, myself included. Some of the DJI guys won't even own an Inspire, they are simply working off a script.
Maybe you are getting confused between app updates and firmware updates. If you have automatic updates enabled and your tablet updates the Go app without your knowledge it can report that you must update your firmware as it will not be compatible.
This I'm afraid shows a lack of understanding of the platform and the interplay between the app and the firmware.
Additionally, you could have prevented your crash by switching to P-Atti and thus stopping the badly calibrated compass giving conflicting data for your declination to the GPS in reporting where North is. All of this information can be gleaned from the many informed posts across this forum.
There are very few problems that we have not come across previously and not been able to solve or offer advice on.
You would do well to take some time reading through some posts in this community to familiarise yourself with many tips and advice users have picked up along the way of flying many hundreds of hours of a single platform.

Spent over an hour on the phone with DJI. It turns out you actually are wrong. I let them know you stated you are a beta tester for them and you have full access to their R&D and their reply, and I'm paraphrasing in order not to implicate, is that is a bunch of bunk. That what you say may mean you may be part of their development program, and so are many such pros and dealers who try out upgrades, new models and updates... resulting in a new machine if you crash them, but this surely in no way makes you an expert.

Let me state here up front, I don't claim to be an expert as a UAV pilot. My professionalism in film, television and videography expands more than 25 years. I have been an RC hobby enthusiast for more than 12 years and was successful in convincing a multi-million dollar power company into utilizing the Inspire 1 to inspect lines, terminals, towers and various objects in their trade for damages, percent life and other anomalies. As a professional in the entertainment trade, as well as the energy business I keep up on every aspect of the tools available to us, their products and their upgrades, as best as possible. Do I build these things from the ground up? Nope. Don't have the time. Do I know how a speed controller works, the flight control computer, the RC, the powered gimbal system? I read as much as I can on the matter and practice a lot. The idea in my company buying this aircraft is that I don't have to dive into it on the workbench. The features attract me because there are a lot of safeguards in place, smooth handling and controllability. Therefore, I don't ever fly without the tablet or the iPhone for general operations, updates and navigational procedures. As I grow in my experience I will spend more time in ATTI mode (because it flies like butter), test my abilities in tighter and more strict situations manually and provide services in manual mode when called for and only after many hours of practice.

So, when I say it doesn't fly, based on this workflow: Tablet 'On' > RC 'On' > Aircraft 'On' ... my statement is correct. At best it may fly for a few feet, then it will ground itself with a "Firmware Update Needed" message. This was my case for me on Saturday, December 12th which followed DJI's 12/7 release. This fact that it will not fly is a direct statement from DJI techs. And as far as your not so humble editor stating that none of the switchboard operators are techs, is simply not true. I live next door to one of those operators. He has been with DJI for 2 years, he builds his own airframes and owns his own Inspire. Today's TECH SUPPORT clarified he is an experienced, so he was very clear about the situation regarding grounded Inspires because of firmware mismatches.

If you've read this far and your ganglion is starting to twitch, hold on a sec.

You may not be experiencing my problem. Here are likely reasons why:
1. You have not upgraded past Firmware version 1.3 (not cloud driven firmware)
2. You are not using the Go app
3. You don't live in America
4. You own an older version of the Inspire 1 (version A, B, maybe C)

If you are in the Go app, which now implements version 1.4 firmware and beyond (they are up to version 1.6 now), firmware updates are driven through the Go app and in my experience are mandatory per numeric version jumps. IE: 1.4.0.10, to 1.5.0.30 is mandatory. If there were a new firmware of 1.5.0.40, it would not be mandatory. However, the latest of 1.6.0.40 is mandatory up from 1.5.0.30.

Regarding living/operating in America, that may be where all the fuss is about. FAA is laying down a boatload of restrictions because our country is currently somewhat unregulated in it's UAV laws. DJI has been writing a lot of fly zone restrictions for Major Airports, Military Bases and Federal Parks. Enthusiasts are abusing these areas, grounding forrest fire and rescue planes. At least, that's the case FAA is making and from what I understand DJI is trying to keep up with FAA law.

When I stated my situation from the beginning as a caused crash via Firmware Upgrade, DJI has output several firmware upgrades recently. The car park I flew in, I've flown before several times. I've never experience uncontrollable flight like this before.

There is also this very simple fact: the version of Inspire that you own may not require firmware updates. All version D Inspires require updates... no matter what. My Inspire 1 is a version D.

Did I make a mistake in this whole scenario. Yes, I did. I should have read the version 1.4.0.10 notes and realized you can no longer upgrade in the field without a wifi connection. Also, the morning of my practice flight that resulted in a crash, I should have also turned on my aircraft while I was in the shop with a wifi connection. I would have seen the upgrade was required and pushed it through. In my lessons learned, that has become incorporated in my new workflow.

To DJI's credit, they're turning around my repair pretty quickly. Within 6 days, including a Christmas Holiday, they have already quoted my repair bill for the snapped gimbal, it's parts and labor for a nominal price of $122.

Spent over an hour on the phone with DJI. It turns out you actually are wrong. I let them know you stated you are a beta tester for them and you have full access to their R&D and their reply, and I'm paraphrasing in order not to implicate, is that is a bunch of bunk. That what you say may mean you may be part of their development program, and so are many such pros and dealers who try out upgrades, new models and updates... resulting in a new machine if you crash them, but this surely in no way makes you an expert.

Let me state here up front, I don't claim to be an expert as a UAV pilot. My professionalism in film, television and videography expands more than 25 years. I have been an RC hobby enthusiast for more than 12 years and was successful in convincing a multi-million dollar power company into utilizing the Inspire 1 to inspect lines, terminals, towers and various objects in their trade for damages, percent life and other anomalies. As a professional in the entertainment trade, as well as the energy business I keep up on every aspect of the tools available to us, their products and their upgrades, as best as possible. Do I build these things from the ground up? Nope. Don't have the time. Do I know how a speed controller works, the flight control computer, the RC, the powered gimbal system? I read as much as I can on the matter and practice a lot. The idea in my company buying this aircraft is that I don't have to dive into it on the workbench. The features attract me because there are a lot of safeguards in place, smooth handling and controllability. Therefore, I don't ever fly without the tablet or the iPhone for general operations, updates and navigational procedures. As I grow in my experience I will spend more time in ATTI mode (because it flies like butter), test my abilities in tighter and more strict situations manually and provide services in manual mode when called for and only after many hours of practice.

So, when I say it doesn't fly, based on this workflow: Tablet 'On' > RC 'On' > Aircraft 'On' ... my statement is correct. At best it may fly for a few feet, then it will ground itself with a "Firmware Update Needed" message. This was my case for me on Saturday, December 12th which followed DJI's 12/7 release. This fact that it will not fly is a direct statement from DJI techs. And as far as your not so humble editor stating that none of the switchboard operators are techs, is simply not true. I live next door to one of those operators. He has been with DJI for 2 years, he builds his own airframes and owns his own Inspire. Today's TECH SUPPORT clarified he is an experienced, so he was very clear about the situation regarding grounded Inspires because of firmware mismatches.

If you are in the Go app, which now implements version 1.4 firmware and beyond (they are up to version 1.6 now), firmware updates are driven through the Go app and in my experience are mandatory per numeric version jumps. IE: 1.4.0.10, to 1.5.0.30 is mandatory. If there were a new firmware of 1.5.0.40, it would not be mandatory. However, the latest of 1.6.0.40 is mandatory up from 1.5.0.30.

Regarding living/operating in America, that may be where all the fuss is about. FAA is laying down a boatload of restrictions because our country is currently somewhat unregulated in it's UAV laws. DJI has been writing a lot of fly zone restrictions for Major Airports, Military Bases and Federal Parks. Enthusiasts are abusing these areas, grounding forrest fire and rescue planes. At least, that's the case FAA is making and from what I understand DJI is trying to keep up with FAA law.

When I stated my situation from the beginning as a caused crash via Firmware Upgrade, DJI has output several firmware upgrades recently. The car park I flew in, I've flown before several times. I've never experience uncontrollable flight like this before.

There is also this very simple fact: the version of Inspire that you own may not require firmware updates. All version D Inspires require updates... no matter what. My Inspire 1 is a version D.

Did I make a mistake in this whole scenario. Yes, I did. I should have read the version 1.4.0.10 notes and realized you can no longer upgrade in the field without a wifi connection. Also, the morning of my practice flight that resulted in a crash, I should have also turned on my aircraft while I was in the shop with a wifi connection. I would have seen the upgrade was required and pushed it through. In my lessons learned, that has become incorporated in my new workflow.

To DJI's credit, they're turning around my repair pretty quickly. Within 6 days, including a Christmas Holiday, they have already quoted my repair bill for the snapped gimbal, it's parts and labor for a nominal price of $122.
Well thank you so much for your reply (most of which is factually wrong) but anyway, I think we have ascertained a few things
  • The crash was YOUR fault - otherwise after analysing your flight logs DJI would be repairing it under warranty
  • During the course of this thread your aircraft has gone from being grounded and simply will not fly to it may fly a few feet but then it will ground you. Which is it?
  • You now all of a sudden 'live next door' to a DJI switchboard operator who builds his own multirotors (that's convenient)
  • DJI is still giving out wrong information - v1.6.0.40 of the current public release firmware IS NOT mandatory. It is simply an update to limit throttle response in cold environments.
  • You have told me which firmware DJI are on - I never knew that (sarcasm BTW)
  • You have changed your story from point 3 in your first post where you said you performed a field update to your comment above where you state you should have completed the update at the shop! (Maybe you should have popped next door to your DJI best buddy and he could have done the update correctly for you)
  • You still have no idea how firmware updates are carried out (even though it has been described clearly to you by other members of the forum) - FYI aircraft firmware is not carried out by the GO app and never has been. In fact, your remote and tablet should not even be switched on when you perform your aircraft FW update.
  • I am bored with typing now!
For some unfathomable reason, you believe that firmware updates are mandatory (there have been none since the initial IMU problem after release)
You seem to think you are right and yet the rest of this community are wrong (there have been a few people in history like that).
You are under the impression, it might be an 'American' thing and if you are in the US of A then the updates are mandatory.
I wonder if there are any US members on this site, I'm just not sure but there might be a few........
I wonder if any of them have been grounded (well flown a few feet and then been grounded as you say) until they do an update.
As for me talking, what was it? 'Bunk' - I am not even going to rise to that one but ask yourself this......how is it I have been able to assist so many members on this community with thanks given by many for helping them solve problems which they were unable to by talking to DJI 'support' on the phone. I believe the gratitude from many speaks sufficiently.

Anyway, enough said, I have spent far too long on this thread with someone who refuses to educate themselves on their own machine, (#3 in your first post on this thread. Firmware updates on the aircraft have NEVER been performed that way).

I am sorry you wasted your money on a hour long phone call (maybe it was toll free) to support.
I am glad you have DJI 'expertise' next door to you that you can call on to help (and a new best friend no doubt)
As a side note, do you actually know the difference between versions A through D of the Inspire? (I do BTW as do most of the community) and if you did you would not have made the statement above about it being a contributing factor.
I thank you for your huge contribution to Inspirepilots most of which has been spent trying to discredit me and telling the community that firmware updates are mandatory and you cannot fly the Inspire unless you complete the upgrade.
Thankfully, the majority of the community know this is utter rubbish and now I can get on with helping people who want to be helped. :)

I am no expert, but am a forum reader like many others here who listens in hoping to glean knowledge from others experiences before they happen to me. Pissing contests are not part of that knowledge gleaning process. No one is really that interested in how good you are or how much experience you have in related fields. Let's keep it to to facts of your problem. If you don't like the advice that other regarded members are offering, go over to RCgroups or the likes and ask there instead.

Either you are making the DJI advice up or massaging the paraphrasing to suit your own position or DJI support don't know all.

I rarely do caps, however, 1.6 IS NOT MANDATORY TO FLY. If it was I could not fly on 1.4 or 1.5...FACT: I can fly on both these firmwares and I AM NOT GROUNDED! Other things are at play in your situation.

If firmware had caused your crash DJI would not be charging you for a repair. This again erodes your stance.

You do have a specific problem however but please do not post non truths on open forums where less experienced pilots will interpret your statement as 'oh 1.6 is mandatory as I am on 1.5 I will be grounded if I do not update'...NOT TRUE. (shout over, back to gleaning)

I am no expert, but am a forum reader like many others here who listens in hoping to glean knowledge from others experiences before they happen to me. Pissing contests are not part of that knowledge gleaning process. No one is really that interested in how good you are or how much experience you have in related fields. Let's keep it to to facts of your problem. If you don't like the advice that other regarded members are offering, go over to RCgroups or the likes and ask there instead.

Either you are making the DJI advice up or massaging the paraphrasing to suit your own position or DJI support don't know all.

I rarely do caps, however, 1.6 IS NOT MANDATORY TO FLY. If it was I could not fly on 1.4 or 1.5...FACT: I can fly on both these firmwares and I AM NOT GROUNDED! Other things are at play in your situation.

If firmware had caused your crash DJI would not be charging you for a repair. This again erodes your stance.

You do have a specific problem however but please do not post non truths on open forums where less experienced pilots will interpret your statement as 'oh 1.6 is mandatory as I am on 1.5 I will be grounded if I do not update'...NOT TRUE. (shout over, back to gleaning)
Well thank you so much for your reply (most of which is factually wrong) but anyway, I think we have ascertained a few things
  • The crash was YOUR fault - otherwise after analysing your flight logs DJI would be repairing it under warranty
  • During the course of this thread your aircraft has gone from being grounded and simply will not fly to it may fly a few feet but then it will ground you. Which is it?
  • You now all of a sudden 'live next door' to a DJI switchboard operator who builds his own multirotors (that's convenient)
  • DJI is still giving out wrong information - v1.6.0.40 of the current public release firmware IS NOT mandatory. It is simply an update to limit throttle response in cold environments.
  • You have told me which firmware DJI are on - I never knew that (sarcasm BTW)
  • You have changed your story from point 3 in your first post where you said you performed a field update to your comment above where you state you should have completed the update at the shop! (Maybe you should have popped next door to your DJI best buddy and he could have done the update correctly for you)
  • You still have no idea how firmware updates are carried out (even though it has been described clearly to you by other members of the forum) - FYI aircraft firmware is not carried out by the GO app and never has been. In fact, your remote and tablet should not even be switched on when you perform your aircraft FW update.
  • I am bored with typing now!
For some unfathomable reason, you believe that firmware updates are mandatory (there have been none since the initial IMU problem after release)
You seem to think you are right and yet the rest of this community are wrong (there have been a few people in history like that).
You are under the impression, it might be an 'American' thing and if you are in the US of A then the updates are mandatory.
I wonder if there are any US members on this site, I'm just not sure but there might be a few........
I wonder if any of them have been grounded (well flown a few feet and then been grounded as you say) until they do an update.
As for me talking, what was it? 'Bunk' - I am not even going to rise to that one but ask yourself this......how is it I have been able to assist so many members on this community with thanks given by many for helping them solve problems which they were unable to by talking to DJI 'support' on the phone. I believe the gratitude from many speaks sufficiently.

Anyway, enough said, I have spent far too long on this thread with someone who refuses to educate themselves on their own machine, (#3 in your first post on this thread. Firmware updates on the aircraft have NEVER been performed that way).

I am sorry you wasted your money on a hour long phone call (maybe it was toll free) to support.
I am glad you have DJI 'expertise' next door to you that you can call on to help (and a new best friend no doubt)
I thank you for your huge contribution to Inspirepilots most of which has been spent trying to discredit me and telling the community that firmware updates are mandatory and you cannot fly the Inspire unless you complete the upgrade.
Thankfully, the majority of the community know this is utter rubbish and now I can get on with helping people who want to be helped. :)

Boy, as experienced you say you are, you sure like to munge up the facts. And I take it you are a main source behind creating this forum, as you have the most likes and most messages and you call yourself an editor but hide behind the profile. This will be my last post, because I'm tired of bickering with you. I'll point out out where you have misread my details or overlooked content in them. And, simply... you are clearly not a professional person who pushes on replies with sarcasm and venomous responses such as the crash was YOUR fault. (not taken personally, by the way)

So, I'll close out my responses (this being my last.)

Clarification:
1. I did not admit to the crash being my fault and clearly there is a question as to wether or not it was due to a firmware update.
2. I have not accepted the bid for work from DJI yet, we will be discussing the matter in the morning and I expect to not be charged for the repair. They do not have the aircraft, only the camera... hence they were not able to analyze the flight. If I felt it was worth defending the whole matter, I'd send it in for analysis, but the $122 is faster and less hassle and I'd rather do that then spend the extra time waiting to fly.
3. No, it is not a coincidence a technician is my neighbor. I had done most of the research and was considering the buy, when he pulled up one day and unloaded carrying an Inspire. My conversation with him helped finalized my decision. However, we are not best friends, I rarely see him and his conversations about the company he works for is quite guarded and limited, as I'm sure they have all signed non-disclosure agreements.
4. Regarding which is it grounded or a few feet? On December 12th it flew approximately 12 feet, then to 25 to 30 feet high and within 2 minutes it grounded with the Firmware Required message. All other times I never attempted to fly it because of the Firmware Required messages. But you think this is not true, even though I verified it with DJI. Whatever.
5. You and the following poster stated that the 1.6 IS NOT MANDATORY. And since both of you seem to feel I'm making the information up or "massaging the paraphrasing to suit your own position" I'll state it again- that I was told this by DJI directly on the phone. If they are not knowledgable about their own product, then so it is: All second digit numeric jumps since 1.4 are required updates. 1.4 to 1.5 to 1.6 AND, as I also mentioned before, DJI in America is doing a boatload of updates due to FAA requirements. Perhaps you're not aware, but FAA is the equivalent to your CAA. Right now, our laws have holes in them and FAA is attempting to meet standards that CAA equivalence. The tech on the phone today expressed this might be why we are having our differences on the matter. Are the FAA restricted areas rolled into the new updates via these cloud based pushes? I don't know. I'm not an expert on the matter, as you've so clearly pointed out.
6. As far as a pissing match is concerned, I never intended this go in this direction. I'm simply stating my experience which you so anxiously need to discredit. I've followed up on all the things you state that are not true and through the company that makes the product have verified that Version D Inspire 1's using the cloud based Go app in America under FAA law are experiencing grounding Firmware Required situations when it comes to version jumps.

I will let people draw their own conclusions (they are an intelligent bunch on this community).

And we will leave it there.

P.S. DJI do not need to have the aircraft in their possession to analyse flight logs!

I don't think you understand

Mine WONT fly... Period
I've said that before but but you don't seem to comprehend this.
And that IS why I'm irked.

But give me til Monday to offer a more informed response.

Just a thought; I really believe you if you say your Inspire won't fly without updating it. On the other hand: my Inspire does fly before updating. A difference between you and me is, I understand, that you have a working internet connection when you are start up your Inspire, and I don't. I think that just switching off wifi would have been the solution for the issue of not being able to fly without updating first.
When I am starting up my Inspire at home (with tablet-wifi on), I sometimes get the "update available" message. If I have a job to do, I often decide not to update first, because of unknown update-issues that might occur. I know what I have, don't know what I will get! When I am in the field without internet connection, I will still see the "update-message", but my Inspire will fly without any trouble. So maybe it is better to switch off wifi or any other connection to the internet when you are on a job. Just try and see what happens (once you have the Inspire repaired)!

Reactions: Francis
There's a few SILENT Alpha/beta testers and R&D members present here, so for that part the Editor is telling the truth. I honestly think thread has gotten completely out of hand, but that's my opinion

Agreed. @Phillip Darlington is right and the whole of the world wide Inspire user community is wrong. I am being sarcastic for everyone else apart from @Editor who knows I am.

I do feel for Philip a bit as he seems to have got so much blatantly wrong info from DJI.
What does any of this have to do with disabling the DJI no fly zones??? :D

WOW!!!!!! Very intense discussion guys on a self-help blog. If can make a suggestion Mr Editor. Move this conversation to a private venue. The difference of opinion is getting lengthy and personal. I'm just sayin....

WOW!!!!!! Very intense discussion guys on a self-help blog. If can make a suggestion Mr Editor. Move this conversation to a private venue. The difference of opinion is getting lengthy and personal. I'm just sayin....
Howard, As already stated it has run its course and long cooled down. The help offered sometimes is not accepted and that is fine. There is no need for a one to one here...and between who anyway? This thread is mild compared to some others LOL!

The big time wrong info posted about latest firmware being mandatory needed to be corrected publicly so others don't think it is. This is how rumours start. I think captains post was just an accidental post in the wrong thread...done it myself several times! Happy New Year.

Howard, As already stated it has run its course and long cooled down. The help offered sometimes is not accepted and that is fine. There is no need for a one to one here...and between who anyway? This thread is mild compared to some others LOL!

The big time wrong info posted about latest firmware being mandatory needed to be corrected publicly so others don't think it is. This is how rumours start. I think captains post was just an accidental post in the wrong thread...done it myself several times! Happy New Year.

Happy New Year. Here's to better flyin....

Reactions: IrishSights
Update:
As of today, January 6, 2016 around 12:20PM, DJI technicians were able to analyze the crash via flight data. They requested my flight logs on January 4th, downloaded from the aircraft by me, then sent to them via Dropbox.
The results are that this incident falls under warranty and they have waived the repair fees. I will likely have my camera and gimbal back middle of next week.
Thanks for challenging me with your string of posts.

Regarding mandatory firmware updates, you are correct. A supervisor in tech support at DJI confirmed the technician who gave me this information was wrong. That same technician was the one who told me DJI is trying to conform to America's FAA regulations and therefore writing a large volume of required firmware updates in order to meet FAA requirements. As a new Inspire pilot, this made sense to me in an odd big brother way, but it is an erroneous statement on that DJI technicians part. Regardless, many lessons learned here. Happy New Year, everyone!

Update:
As of today, January 6, 2016 around 12:20PM, DJI technicians were able to analyze the crash via flight data. They requested my flight logs on January 4th, downloaded from the aircraft by me, then sent to them via Dropbox.
The results are that this incident falls under warranty and they have waived the repair fees. I will likely have my camera and gimbal back middle of next week.
Thanks for challenging me with your string of posts.

Regarding mandatory firmware updates, you are correct. A supervisor in tech support at DJI confirmed the technician who gave me this information was wrong. That same technician was the one who told me DJI is trying to conform to America's FAA regulations and therefore writing a large volume of required firmware updates in order to meet FAA requirements. As a new Inspire pilot, this made sense to me in an odd big brother way, but it is an erroneous statement on that DJI technicians part. Regardless, many lessons learned here. Happy New Year, everyone!
Thanks for coming back on this Phillip and your honesty.
Apologies if I was blunt with my comments (many on here know I do not mince my words), however I know the Inspire better than most and I had to put the record straight when erroneous comments were being made regarding mandatory updates.
This is not the first time DJI 'techs' have been wrong or given bad advice. It will not be the last!
We try and keep this forum as factual as possible and if we see mistakes we usually pounce on them. :)
Unfortunately, the same cannot be said over on the official DJI Forum where I constantly see bad advice - only the other day I saw a DJI staff member tell someone that the batteries in the Inspire remote are Li-ion and not Li-poly.
That is completely wrong and just one recent example of people on the front line not knowing the machine.

I hope you stay around - there is a wealth of good info on this forum.
For your information, I am a beta tester for DJI over on Centrecode' as well as a member of Driving Force and I am in regular contact with DJI guys as well as their head of service for North America.
I guess I have gained their respect over time as they even offered me a job the latter part of last year. - That's not Bunk BTW!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GRQLarae44