Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

First Dummy to Brick OSMO with I1 X3

Reaction score
Got it 24 Dec.. Used it all day.

Then used it the morning of Christmas to film the kids (Thank the gods that worked, wife would have my head otherwise)..

Christmas Afternoon, power up, informed of firmware update (I was current using the I1 the day before), and without much thought, I updated the firmware using the DJI app... AND THAT MUST BE WHERE THE ISSUE IS!

Inital issue after update, Wifi connectivity was intermittent, very unstable. We are talking 15 seconds of connection, then dropped signal. OSMO would still record video, but no phone connectivity.

Then that morphed into not powering on at all. At least. no lights on handle. But a very faint sound from the fan on the X3. That would run like that for as long as i left it in that condition.

Put I1 X3 back on Inspire, made sure all firmware was up to date. Took the I1 on a flight, worst flight experience ever. Reloaded Firmware again, and now it flies fine.

Tried powering up the OSMO, and it is still the same.

*If I hold every butting in conjunction with the trigger on the OSMO, it will power up, the gimbal does the calibration spin, abd I get lights on handle.. Yellowish light on Left side, and Red/Green flashing on right side.

Galaxy Note 5 is the Smartphone I am using. I have reached out to DJI, hopefully I can get some assistance, or a replacement. Have 3 weeks until a very important trip to Vegas (Work related).

Got it 24 Dec.. Used it all day.

Then used it the morning of Christmas to film the kids (Thank the gods that worked, wife would have my head otherwise)..

Christmas Afternoon, power up, informed of firmware update (I was current using the I1 the day before), and without much thought, I updated the firmware using the DJI app... AND THAT MUST BE WHERE THE ISSUE IS!

Inital issue after update, Wifi connectivity was intermittent, very unstable. We are talking 15 seconds of connection, then dropped signal. OSMO would still record video, but no phone connectivity.

Then that morphed into not powering on at all. At least. no lights on handle. But a very faint sound from the fan on the X3. That would run like that for as long as i left it in that condition.

Put I1 X3 back on Inspire, made sure all firmware was up to date. Took the I1 on a flight, worst flight experience ever. Reloaded Firmware again, and now it flies fine.

Tried powering up the OSMO, and it is still the same.

*If I hold every butting in conjunction with the trigger on the OSMO, it will power up, the gimbal does the calibration spin, abd I get lights on handle.. Yellowish light on Left side, and Red/Green flashing on right side.

Galaxy Note 5 is the Smartphone I am using. I have reached out to DJI, hopefully I can get some assistance, or a replacement. Have 3 weeks until a very important trip to Vegas (Work related).
Currently the OSMO must be upgraded using the bin file on SD card method like I1. DJI stated that the FW upgrade thru the go app was not working as specified in the release notes. Try to downgrade the OSMO FW using the .60 version then re upgrade back to .80. Hopefully your OSMO will see the bin file on the card and re install the FW. If not, then it very well maybe bricked. Good Luck.

Last edited:
Yes, but the new Bugfix file is up on the site for that issue.. Have you tried it yet? Or was that the file you used originally? One last note, What FW version was on your I1 before upgrading OSMO?

already tried it. I talked to them, and my issue needs to be resolved by them. Almost sounds like the issue is a a Hardware issue for some. My current problem is the lack of Wifi Connectivity. Doent connect at all anymore. Resetting Wifi does nothing.

already tried it. I talked to them, and my issue needs to be resolved by them. Almost sounds like the issue is a a Hardware issue for some. My current problem is the lack of Wifi Connectivity. Doent connect at all anymore. Resetting Wifi does nothing.
Well, sorry to hear that. Don't give up on the OSMO though. get it in and repaired! It really works good when all the kinks are worked out.

Yeah that's what they said, if it was bricked by the update then there's no other way than to send it in, the new FW only benefits those who did NOT do the first upgrade. One more of these strange things...
Mine is fortunately OK, but just out of curiosity I've put the new file on and it will not re-update, so that sounds correct.

It truly is astounding that DJI can release buggy FW like this. The odd bug can be forgiven but firmware that renders a device inoperable simply cannot.
To compound matters more, DJI then go on to release the 'Bugfix' firmware with the exact same version number.

Wang needs to look seriously at the quality of his coding staff and fire the PM for this. It's not the first time it has happened!

Somewhere in the past month I read an interview with Eric Cheng formerly DJI. The question was whether any of the current crop of "drone" mfrs. would successfully challenge DJI.

Eric said the advantage DJI has, is that they go from "concept" to manufactured product very rapidly. They iterate rapidly. OTOH, he said the "challenge" DJI faces is that their short development time from concept to shipping product results in products being released that aren't quite ready. His point was that, whoever can iterate rapidly like DJI while also enforcing strict QC will have an opening to compete with DJI. I thought it was a good analysis.

It truly is astounding that DJI can release buggy FW like this. The odd bug can be forgiven but firmware that renders a device inoperable simply cannot.
To compound matters more, DJI then go on to release the 'Bugfix' firmware with the exact same version number.

Wang needs to look seriously at the quality of his coding staff and fire the PM for this. It's not the first time it has happened!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool