Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

First flight: motors refused to start; what does 4 red flashes mean?

Reaction score
I am updated to the latest firmware. I calibrated the IMU, and I calibrated the compass. The Inspire status LED was flashing slow green, and the RC status LED was solid green. The app said it was OK to take off, the video link was working perfectly, and the gimbal control was working perfectly.

But when I tried the down-and-in move to start the motors, they refused to start. Instead, the Inspire status LED flashed red four times, very quickly. I tried power-cycling the Inspire, then the RC, then both. No luck.

I have searched the manuals and online resources, but I can't figure out what this means.

I gave up, removed the camera, and removed the props. Then I decided to try it again, and the motors spun right up. I put everything back together, and it worked OK after that.

Any ideas?

I emailed DJI support, and they suggested that it might be a low battery. It wasn't; it was 100% charged, and it dropped to only 85% while I tried in vain to get it started.

Then they asked if I had unlocked the motors in the menu. I had executed that menu item several times, but it gives no feedback. Unless the fact that "Unlock Motor" remains in the menu is a clue that they were not successfully unlocked.

But since I eventually got it flying without doing this any more times, I don't think that's it.

As far as I've heard, unlock motors is a menu item not currently used. As far as your problem, it was some kind of error that was serious enough to not even let you fly, a good thing. If it's behaving well since and flights have been good, perhaps it was a one time error. If there's any way to check data and find that error than do so. But if all is now fine, enjoy!

I emailed DJI support, and they suggested that it might be a low battery. It wasn't; it was 100% charged, and it dropped to only 85% while I tried in vain to get it started.

Then they asked if I had unlocked the motors in the menu. I had executed that menu item several times, but it gives no feedback. Unless the fact that "Unlock Motor" remains in the menu is a clue that they were not successfully unlocked.

But since I eventually got it flying without doing this any more times, I don't think that's it.
Can you help me find "unlock motors"...I'm using Pilot app version 1.0.3 and cant find it anywhere...thanks

There is no unlock motors option any more within the app.
As per release notes for this firmware for safety reasons the motors are locked until, a full IMU calibration is done as well as a compass calibration and then connection to the app.
Once all these steps are followed, the motors will start.
You may then need to do a further compass calibration.
I would also advise cycling the power on both controller and AC after the above steps.

Can you help me find "unlock motors"...I'm using Pilot app version 1.0.3 and cant find it anywhere...thanks
My problem begins after the latest upgrade i cannot calibrate the compass...i read where someone said by unlocking the motors this solved the problem....i can run the IMU calibration but i wont be able to complete the compass calibration...im still stuck

I'm not sure why you cannot calibrate the compass, but your motors will not start with a solid red light in any case.
You can try moving the flight mode switch quickly six times from attitudes to p mode to force the craft into compass calibration mode.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry