Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 1 - Extremely Unstable

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I was having minimal GPS issues with my Inspire 1 as you can follow from this topic, inspirepilots.com/threads/inspire-1-drifting-away.
That problem got extreme yesterday. I attempted to fly it in P-mode, with 13 satellites. I used to fly it up to 10cm then 1m and watch the drones stability before letting it go.
I was in a high altitude ~800m above the sea, 12 km/h wind speed. 40' C temperature and 11 UV index. Seems fine except the sun.
When I throttled to go upwards, it tended to go forward (in the first take off attempt) then to the sideways (2nd attempt). Watch the video.
In the third attempt, at a different location 10m far from the first location, it was totally unbalanced, and motors didn't shut when I pushed the stick down. Yet emergency stop failed as well. Stopped it from the battery.
I checked the RC settings, if I mistakenly changed the flying modes. But it was ok, as it used to be.

Went back home and calibrated the IMU and Compass at night. Still fails to fly steady in P-Mode. Interestingly, when I switch to Atti Mode, it stays still in the air if there is no air drag.
When I go back to P-Mode it starts flying around by itself like a crazy horse :D Tried switching back and forth, yet the result is same.
No GPS warning, only "Strong wireless interference" from the logs. But that was the case on the mountain only. There was no warning at home but still drifting.

Resetting the Compass and IMU solved the motors not shutting down issue.

Do you guys have any idea?

Attachments

• IMG_20210804_113251.jpg
    IMG_20210804_113251.jpg
    310.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20210804_113330.jpg
    IMG_20210804_113330.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Hi Everyone,
I was having minimal GPS issues with my Inspire 1 as you can follow from this topic, inspirepilots.com/threads/inspire-1-drifting-away.
That problem got extreme yesterday. I attempted to fly it in P-mode, with 13 satellites. I used to fly it up to 10cm then 1m and watch the drones stability before letting it go.
I was in a high altitude ~800m above the sea, 12 km/h wind speed. 40' C temperature and 11 UV index. Seems fine except the sun.
When I throttled to go upwards, it tended to go forward (in the first take off attempt) then to the sideways (2nd attempt). Watch the video.
In the third attempt, at a different location 10m far from the first location, it was totally unbalanced, and motors didn't shut when I pushed the stick down. Yet emergency stop failed as well. Stopped it from the battery.
I checked the RC settings, if I mistakenly changed the flying modes. But it was ok, as it used to be.

Went back home and calibrated the IMU and Compass at night. Still fails to fly steady in P-Mode. Interestingly, when I switch to Atti Mode, it stays still in the air if there is no air drag.
When I go back to P-Mode it starts flying around by itself like a crazy horse :D Tried switching back and forth, yet the result is same.
No GPS warning, only "Strong wireless interference" from the logs. But that was the case on the mountain only. There was no warning at home but still drifting.

Try flying at a completely different location at least a mile or two from your present test location. Recalibrate the compass again before you fly. Don't let the fact that "it flew fine before" lull you into believing that your environment is stable. Environments change. RF landscapes are very dynamic.

The dead giveaway here is the Inspire's ability to fly normally in ATTI mode.

D

Last edited:
Reactions: niki
Try flying at a completely different location at least a mile or two from your present test location. Recalibrate the compass again before you fly. Don't let the fact that "it flew fine before" lull you into believing that your environment is stable. Environments change. RF landscapes are very dynamic.

The dead giveaway here is the Inspire's ability to fly normally in ATTI mode.

D
I tried at a different location. It flew better, yet same issue persists. The other locations signals were more stable, but still drafting. The main reason why it brought me to the GPS module is that, ATTI mode was more stable...

I tried at a different location. It flew better, yet same issue persists. The other locations signals were more stable, but still drafting. The main reason why it brought me to the GPS module is that, ATTI mode was more stable...
Yep...now that you have eliminated "interference" as the culprit, I would pursue the GPS module. It's not that you're getting no GPS data. The problem seems to be that you're getting BAD GPS data. Since you're showing a dozen satellites, we can eliminate the GPS puck antenna as the culprit. It seems clear that the GPS module is interpreting GPS data incorrectly.

D

Like Donnie said, callibrate the compass at the location you're going to fly. Calibrating it at home may result in bad calibration because of the building/house construction.
The weather could be a factor, 40 degrees temp makes the air less dense, close to the ground may have turbulence also heat turbulence which will affect the hovering stability.
If you are using downward sensor it also may cause instability if you fly over unrecognizable pattern like grass or tiling pattern.
Does your controller attitude setting default? If not, set them back to stock settings.

Hi Everyone,

There is a good chance that the .DAT log will reveal what causes this. Can you retrieve and provide it via a public sharing site like Dropbox, GoogleDrive, or similar? Look here
How to retrieve a .DAT
to see how to retrieve the .DAT

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catalyst