Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Flights above 400 feet

Reaction score
i have a request to take a photograph of 300+ acres and 400 ft will not get it in the shot.... Anyone with experience above 400 ft please give input and tips..... It's in a rural area, very little to no air traffic bellow 5000 ft most well above.....

Reactions: lrwskyfilms
Not sure on your location and needs but also had similar situations in remote locations in valleys/gorges and such. Remember it is your responsibility[emoji6]! Not going to get into specifics as I find this rule to be "unfair" (Remote Areas-No Air Traffic) to those who do fly responsibly and respect airspace.

But this is a reference chart...

FEET to METER REFERENCE

400ft@122m
800ft@244m
1000ft@305m
1200ft@365m
1310ft@400m
1500ft@457m
1640ft@500m

Reactions: JamesSpringPilot
Understand the 500 meter limit..... But looking to go above 400 feet for first time..... Just nervous with the investment doing it..... Was looking for tips from anyone who has done it...... I know, chicken.....lol

No problems when you go higher.Have tested 1000ft(300mtr).So going to the max should be no problem.Just for your information,when I did test this it was very remote area and this was not illegal.But 99,9% I never go more then 400ft(122 mtr)

Always want to be thought of as responsibly pilot..... But need shot for property map......

i have a request to take a photograph of 300+ acres and 400 ft will not get it in the shot.... Anyone with experience above 400 ft please give input and tips..... It's in a rural area, very little to no air traffic bellow 5000 ft most well above.....
You don't say under which national rules you are operating and whether you have clearance/permission to operate.

First of all, with the I1's 12Mpixel camera I am not sure that will get any useful detail. Have you considered running a number of tracks at 120m and stitching the images together in Photoshop.

Alternatively, contact you area ATC and discuss the possibilities. If the are no airspace restrictions then you could post temporary NOTAM with your required height requirements.

USA, sorry....!! Both valid points.... Not nessesarily looking for great detail, only general layout and ability to draw property lines.... But stitching is a good alternative.......

How can it be limited to 400 or 500 ft? What happens if you are a pilot and use an icom hand held for traffic in the area? Just make radio calls like a normal airplane and call it good.

How can it be limited to 400 or 500 ft? What happens if you are a pilot and use an icom hand held for traffic in the area? Just make radio calls like a normal airplane and call it good.

7a73e936a9051478baec4fa7d2d088ff.jpg

Main Controller Settings you can adjust your limits.. As for using a HAM radio you need to be licensed to operate.. I agree, but not everyone is licensed in amateur radio[emoji6]

The I1 preset ceiling is120m, FAA rules limit RC aircraft to 400 ft... Not sure what you are referring to with radio, but joeblow is not allowed on ATC frequencies.... In the USA...

As a licensed pilot, I can get on a hand held radio and fly an ultra-light is Class D airspace with no issues. So why can I not fly a quad with a hand held?

Reactions: lrwskyfilms
Because you can't be seen by other aircraft (until its too late).

You are correct, if you are flying FPV, but if you are on the ground and have LOS on the quad, why not then? At a few of the ultralight airfields here near San Antonio, we often have RC airplanes in the pattern also. It just so happens that the RC pilots are also PPL or above too.

I understand why people want RC pilots to get licensed, knowledge of airspace and the ability to communicate with others is key. I guess they can turn the recreational pilot (which failed miserably) into RC pilot.

You are correct, if you are flying FPV, but if you are on the ground and have LOS on the quad, why not then? At a few of the ultralight airfields here near San Antonio, we often have RC airplanes in the pattern also. It just so happens that the RC pilots are also PPL or above too.

I understand why people want RC pilots to get licensed, knowledge of airspace and the ability to communicate with others is key. I guess they can turn the recreational pilot (which failed miserably) into RC pilot.

I concur, totally agree with COMMUNICATIONS in general wether it be handheld or a transmitting 2-4 nautical miles beacon.. It's very appropriate considering the danger one doesn't know or is unaware of such as MEDFLIGHTS or any inbound AC[emoji6]

Ummm.. Well as per the current COA that accompanies all 333 now from the FAA for commercial UAV operations there is a requirement to make all applicable radio calls.

If everyone continues to break the rules then as a group we can't complain when the rules get more strict.

Here is another idea, find a local guy with a Cessna, do it old school and stay legal.

Think I'm going to court house and get satellite image of property in question..... Thanks all for your comments and input....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlberthaLo