Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

FLIR/Thermal on I2?

Here is a video of the Flir Vue Pro mounted under my Inspire 2. I'm using the remote-wired joystick, at the front-right corner of the Secraft transmitter tray, to control the camera's pan and tilt. I have the gimbal set to move very slowly so that it is easy to dial in the scene you want in the monitor. Faster gimbal speeds made it really hard to control.

The remote joystick could be mounted anywhere with velcro or double-sided tape, but the front right of the transmitter tray makes it easy to use one finger to control the camera/gimbal while flying the copter. Underneath the transmitter tray works Ok too.
20180109_165111.jpg

Attachments

• 20180109_165111.jpg
    20180109_165111.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 47
Here are a few reasons why I stick to DJI solution.

- With 1100 gram it is a pretty heavy payload for the I2 - It will lift it, but the flight time will be reduced considerably.

- As I understand it, it will be a two man setup, ore at least you have to set the tablet for controlling the flir duo pro up in a way so you can control it simultaneously with the normal setup.

- You will not have the same transmission distance. The feed from the Flir duo pro will not be as powerfull as the lightbridge system DJI use.

- The software to control the Flir looks not as need as the pilot app. I don't know if you have the
exact same capabilities in this software, but I doubt.

- You will have to, maintain another battery system, and with only 40 min. of use it will requires some spare batteries.

The ONLY positive thing I can see on this system, is the price if you are on a budget and all ready have the Inspire 2, you can for sure save some money compared to buying a M200 with a XT2. But in my opinion is this a "half baked" solution, that I think will be a pine to work with in the long run.

(I fly with XT2 on a M210RTK)

www.suas.com does also support additional FLIR products for the Inspire 2 mount, this includes the newer Boson models which are not radiometric as well as the Vue Pro R which are radiometric capable. These other cameras are much lighter than the Duo Pro and allow for the simultaneous use of either the X4S or X5S, one would suppose that the X7 could also be used simultaneously too. So the heavy payload is somewhat reduced with these other FLIR cameras. But the beauty of this approach is that sUAS has spent countless hours integrating all the FLIR camera and gimbal control features onto a Samsung HD tablet so that in this specific configuration you still have native DJI camera window and full DJI capability still present with or without using GO 4 or other flight control apps. And you have a totally out of bandwidth solution for your FLIR camera and controls. This allows you to have the full feature set and video transmission capability of Lightbridge 2 and a sophisticated out of band FLIR image and video solution as well. All this for what they say is less expensive than the DJI FLIR solution which is NOT available for the I2. And one of the BIG extras that you get with their approach is the ability to use any of their camera/gimbal combinations with their tablet display as a handheld IR camera solution!

For any of you Thermographers out there, this has the potential to double your business opportunities.

Hello everyone!

I'm interested if anyone knows if DJI or anyone else is planning on a thermal or FLIR camera for the Inspire 2. I'll be flying for a group that I know will be interested if one hits the market.
Have you had any luck getting something set up with your I2 and thermal cameras? Can you share your experiences please?

Thanks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurskmvah