Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

FLIR/Thermal on I2?

Hello fellow pilots and thermographers - here's the results of my first flight with both visual and thermal imagers onboard. This is with a 336 / 9mhz / Non Radiometric FLIR unit.

I'm not posting pics of how I mounted it to my i2, because it's not very clever and I want to make it better before I show it off. But the mounts to the I1 and P3/4 work out of the box.

house - thermal & digital.PNG dock - thermal & digital.PNG

Hello fellow pilots and thermographers - here's the results of my first flight with both visual and thermal imagers onboard. This is with a 336 / 9mhz / Non Radiometric FLIR unit.

I'm not posting pics of how I mounted it to my i2, because it's not very clever and I want to make it better before I show it off. But the mounts to the I1 and P3/4 work out of the box.

View attachment 12538 View attachment 12539

Looks exciting! Hope to see more!

Dr Jon --- I hope you read this thread (the other was closed by a moderator). I think this is your quote "Why would you want a FLIR camera on a high end cinema drone? The I2 is specific to professional filmmaking. I'm sure DJI will never install a codec to support the XT on the I2, don't forget the processing is now done on the I2 and not in the camera so fitting it is one thing but getting an image is another big issue. So clearly they have a "consumer drone", a "professional filmmaking" and an "Enterprise drone" and i'm sure they will keep then isolated product lines. You want to fly an FLIR then buy a M200 series. Want to make a movie then use an I2." It seems as IF maybe Dr Jon has his own idea of use of drones . . . I like the multi-faceted approach. I won't say 'where' I heard it, but I believe your comment "DJI will never install a codec to support the XT on the I2" inferred FLIR and not just XT . . . well, keep an ear out for more news soon ~

If you want to alert a specific member to a post or mention simply put an '@' sign in front of their user name

Like this @dec They will then be alerted you have referred to them :)

Reactions: dec
Dr Jon --- I hope you read this thread (the other was closed by a moderator). I think this is your quote "Why would you want a FLIR camera on a high end cinema drone? The I2 is specific to professional filmmaking. I'm sure DJI will never install a codec to support the XT on the I2, don't forget the processing is now done on the I2 and not in the camera so fitting it is one thing but getting an image is another big issue. So clearly they have a "consumer drone", a "professional filmmaking" and an "Enterprise drone" and i'm sure they will keep then isolated product lines. You want to fly an FLIR then buy a M200 series. Want to make a movie then use an I2." It seems as IF maybe Dr Jon has his own idea of use of drones . . . I like the multi-faceted approach. I won't say 'where' I heard it, but I believe your comment "DJI will never install a codec to support the XT on the I2" inferred FLIR and not just XT . . . well, keep an ear out for more news soon ~

From what i have read of the FLIR mentioned in the thread it has its own Integrated video transmitter (5.8Ghz) downlink fitted and simply uses the Gimbal socket to mount the camera on a two way adapter this is NOT an XT camera from DJI. Making two cameras on board one the original DJI camera and the second just a payload using the same 2 way mounting adapter it then uses a 7″ LCD diversity receiver (thermal LCD receiver). Mounted on the DJI controller.

So my statement holds true DJI are not supporting the codec your simply using the I2 to carry a payload and a different optical transmission system.

Reactions: dec
IMG_20170409_165357.jpg IMG_20170409_165416.jpg

Thanks for your patience!!! Here's the Inspire 2 with the DronExpert 3-in-1 gimbal in the back. I have a 6s 1000mah lipo pack in the center for power.

I'll post some pics later today with the 640 resolution camera I have mounted.

Attachments

• IMG_20170228_140709.jpg
    IMG_20170228_140709.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 114
Last edited:
From what i have read of the FLIR mentioned in the thread it has its own Integrated video transmitter (5.8Ghz) downlink fitted and simply uses the Gimbal socket to mount the camera on a two way adapter this is NOT an XT camera from DJI. Making two cameras on board one the original DJI camera and the second just a payload using the same 2 way mounting adapter it then uses a 7″ LCD diversity receiver (thermal LCD receiver). Mounted on the DJI controller.

So my statement holds true DJI are not supporting the codec your simply using the I2 to carry a payload and a different optical transmission system.

Respectfully, sir, that's not correct. The native FLIR system does not transmit any video. There's a bluetooth connection for configuration and to activate the record feature, but no other telemetry. That's what either DronExpert or DJI add to the party with the integration.

Philosophically, I chose the I2 over other gear for a couple of reasons.

First, I needed at least one of my work drones to be a DJI, because all the third party tools integrate. I love my Autel, but it's an orphan. (This discussion is a thread unto itself, I know.)
I chose the i2 over other DJI models because it was the best balance between payload, price, and size for what I think I will be doing. I knew I needed to carry two sensors, and the P4 wasn't going to do it well. The Matrice is too big for close-in inspection work. Admittedly this was before the 200, but I still feel like I made the right choice.

On days when I'm not doing industrial work, I have a world-class camera platform with dual controls in my case, ready to cater to any professional photographer who wants to focus (ahem) on getting great shots.

Reactions: Chris A
Hello everyone!

I'm interested if anyone knows if DJI or anyone else is planning on a thermal or FLIR camera for the Inspire 2. I'll be flying for a group that I know will be interested if one hits the market.
I have just received the Flir Vue R 640 for the inspire 2. It is awesome works perfectly with the I2. Bought from Drones Plus in Tx. They were brilliant during the purchase and stunning fir aftersales help.

I have just received the Flir Vue R 640 for the inspire 2. It is awesome works perfectly with the I2. Bought from Drones Plus in Tx. They were brilliant during the purchase and stunning fir aftersales help.

Hi Lozzy, any chance of a photo of the setup, can you run a one operator setup?

Hi Lozzy, any chance of a photo of the setup, can you run a one operator setup?
I will take some photos just not sure how to attach them to this thread. You have 2 RC's one for flying and obe for the Flir. The Flir is independent to the drone and yes you can operate with one person i do it one person but it is better/easier with 2 people. I can give you my email if you would like then i can take a video or photos and email it to you or put the video on you tube for you.

This is the Flir Vue Pro on my I2 on a Tarot gimbal. Photos of the controller and how it's mounted as well. Been working on the new mounting system for a few weeks. Tidying up the wiring now.

I posted some of this before on this post: Inspire 2 with Flir Vue Pro.....

Haven't had a chance to finish it up yet. Will post a video when I can of some flights.

20180129_194305.jpg 20180109_165111.jpg 20180129_200431.jpg 20180129_200511.jpg 20180129_201349.jpg 20180129_200640.jpg

Reactions: Ronogueira
what kind of little joystick do you use and how do you connect it? Looks very interesting and handy

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pavitrakher1