Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

FLIR Vue thermal cam

Yeah, I'm hoping to use mine for mainly bridge inspection.

Would you please expand on how FLIRs can be used to conduct bridge inspections? I can understand how they would be useful in all the above-mentioned projects, but how can a FLIR detect structural defects in a bridge?

Would you please expand on how FLIRs can be used to conduct bridge inspections? I can understand how they would be useful in all the above-mentioned projects, but how can a FLIR detect structural defects in a bridge?

Here are some links to white papers on the subject. The trick is finding the right FLIR setting to get the results one would want.

http://library.modot.mo.gov/RDT/reports/Ri06038/or10007.pdf

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/research/reports/fullreports/717.1.pdf

http://docs.trb.org/prp/13-2012.pdf

Last edited:
Cooool keep us updated...wanting to pick up a vue...or at least the ndvi
Not sure if this has already been commented on as this is an old post,,, but I just successfully mounted my FLIR VUE 640 on my inspire using the immersion RC transmitter I had used a 3s battery as external source to power the ALWARE 2d gimbal and the Flir, as well as a receiver (after a UBEC) to control the gimbal. I used the 5v output from the transmitter with no problems (there are even pictures of this set up on the FLIR web site) All works great but the flight time is, of course, greatly reduced. The gimbal is the heaviest part! It took some repositioning to get the FLIR ballanced right on the gimbal- just positioned it as far back as possible so the weight was not too far forward on the gimbal.

my goofy boss left his flash on so the picture of my monitor kind of sucks but here it is...

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 51
I had to disassemble it to do some photo/video work but will have it back together for a flight tomorrow night so Ill snap some pictures.
Where is a good place online to buy this infamous 10pin gopro mini usb cable? I could not find one (the gopro 3 I have has only a 5pin) and ended up making my own.

Reactions: skylabimaging
Welp here is an update.

I've abandoned the idea in using the Inspire 1 with the FLIR Vue as I think it will cause me more drama than I need. So I will only use the I1 for videography or possibly Aerial Pro'd NVDI solution.

I've also sold my second bird to fund an X4 build but at the same breath ordered a STORM AntiGravity.

This seems to be right aircraft solution for the FLIR.

You just can't beat a flight time of 35+ minutes to get the job done.

storm-drone-antigravity-big009-2.jpg

Welp here is an update.

I've abandoned the idea in using the Inspire 1 with the FLIR Vue as I think it will cause me more drama than I need. So I will only use the I1 for videography or possibly Aerial Pro'd NVDI solution.

I've also sold my second bird to fund an X4 build but at the same breath ordered a STORM AntiGravity.

Welp here is an update.

Welp here is an update.

Looks like an awesome option. I had some medical family drama so I didn't get to put it back together. I mainly did it because guys told me it could not be done! I am looking at building an X8 to fly my flir around but your idea looks pretty **** cool. Can't wait to see how it works!

That's a Quad X8. just realized i did not specify. These guys at DSLR Pros claim to get some incredible flight times with their Titan X8.

Oh the Titan X8 is a kewl looks craft but it only has a flight time of 25 minutes max. This is running on a 6S 16K battery with the same battery I could possibly do more than 40 minutes. :)

I was just hanging out with a couple of their engineers in their lab/shop while (I live 20min from DSLR Pros and my boss at the college wants to have them sponsor the new UAV program) and they actually have flight times over an hour with that thing. They had a 20 min flight with a 42 pound payload. More than I need to move! With a lighter load it had times over an hour. But its big bucks and Multiple 16K's+ batteries to charge.
So I am with you on this... but with a Tarot 650 pro frame I already have that Ill modify... But the Antigravity has a nicer looking frame. Looks like a great package. Ill probably wish I bought it instead of doing this build! I guess were supposed to be talking Inspires here..... opps. Ill still post the FLIR mod I did... Promise!

Reactions: Outta Control
I was just hanging out with a couple of their engineers in their lab/shop while (I live 20min from DSLR Pros and my boss at the college wants to have them sponsor the new UAV program) and they actually have flight times over an hour with that thing. They had a 20 min flight with a 42 pound payload. More than I need to move! With a lighter load it had times over an hour. But its big bucks and Multiple 16K's+ batteries to charge.
So I am with you on this... but with a Tarot 650 pro frame I already have that Ill modify... But the Antigravity has a nicer looking frame. Looks like a great package. Ill probably wish I bought it instead of doing this build! I guess were supposed to be talking Inspires here..... opps. Ill still post the FLIR mod I did... Promise!

I'm definitely looking into that Titan X8. I wish they would post some more video of how it handles a Ronin or a Movi under it with a heavier camera like a RED.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airlineoffice